Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't really about how to charge - we have a Tesla Model Y LR - but specifically;
  • is it best practice to charge the 500e to 100% each time?
  • and if not, is there a function/setting to limit the state of charge to a specific percentage?
Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
As a general rule, it's not best practice to leave any EV at 100% SOC (or 0% either) for significant periods of time. It you use it as a daily driver, then charging to 100% is probably OK. But charging to 100% then letting it sit is bad juju.

There is no function to limit charging SOC on the car. You have to either do it aftermarket with a smart EVSE, or with a tool like the My500e, which can be programmed to charge to a specific SOC IIRC.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,442 Posts
Full charge in a Fiat is really only about 85-90% of the true full capacity. I read something from Tesla that going "only" to 95% gave double the battery longevity of going to 100%.

The 500e seems to only lose about 2% per 10,000 miles even though nearly every 500e first owner was leasing, & the sales people really pushed the L2 chargers hard, so it's pretty safe to assume that nearly all of them were fully charged by 8pm, sitting until 8am literally half their entire life "fully" charged (85-90%).

If you really want to baby it, the ideal resting voltage is about 60% on the car's gauge, so I time mine to stop around there, & then time it to top off right before I drive, depending on how far I'm going: I usually only take it to about 80% since that still leaves plenty to spare after my 40-mile round trip.

It's pretty easy to time it pretty close since it adds about 25% per hour on L2 & about 5% per hour on L1. Since it doesn't seem to matter much even going to full, it therefore matters even less if your timing is off by 5 or 10%.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've started making a note of the charge time until full, at the end of each drive, and then manually going out and unplugging it roughly when it's around 70-80%, because I don't need more than that and maybe it'll help a little bit in the long run.

There's a third party device + subscription service called my500e that might be able to automatically stop charging at a certain point. I haven't tried it yet but I'm still thinking about it. My500e has some other features that seem kind of nice as well.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,442 Posts
I've started making a note of the charge time until full, at the end of each drive, and then manually going out and unplugging it roughly when it's around 70-80%
Oh, ya: Set your phone's timer alarm for the charge time to 100%, minus an hour on L2 (25%) to end up with about 75%. Or minus 5 hours on L1 (5%/hour).

The car's charge time display always over-estimates the time required, so if you go by it you'll always have a bit more than you really need.

An alternative to manually unplugging would be a 15A smart plug for L1, & I think most home L2s also have a phone app to shut off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts