Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys and girls? My name is Calin. I bought my 2012 Fiat 500 Sport 2 days ago and totally love this thing! I've always been into modded Japanese cars, but I just wanted something totally different after selling my car last week. I was considering lowering my Fiat, but I actually enjoy the stock height and not having to worry about steep driveways and scraping since my last 2 cars were lowered and I'd always have to deal with that. First, here is a picture of my 2006 350Z which I bought in 2007 and then sold in September of 2010.

And then after that I got a 2002 Lexus GS300 on airbag suspension. It looked nice, but it was boring when it came to driving it. It had absolutely no sporty feel to it, plus it was automatic which is boring to me.

So after selling my Lexus this thursday, I went straight to the dealership to buy my Fiat. I already test drove one about a month ago so I knew what to expect from it. And although I admit that it's not the fastest car in the world, it's a lot of fun to drive. Getting back into a manual transmission car was also a lot of fun. I went out last night and took a few pictures of my new Fiat. Here they are ;)

This was taken right before I drove it off the lot :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very nice. I like the white one's more and more every time I see one. My wife wanted me to change the order to rosso with the red leather seats, but that just looks too flashy for me as much as I like the idea of having a mini ferrari. The white one's come off much classier, probably because the white dash isn't as aggressive in the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! Kzod, Rosso would have been my 2nd color choice. It took me a while to decide between the 2 colors. But like you said, I thought Rosso was just a little too flashy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ressol! I see you have great taste yourself :D. I see the number on the side of your car...does that mean you took it to the track already? How did it too? I've never tracked any car before, but I was considering trying it out just for fun to see if I like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that the B-billar covers looked a bit cheap, so I decided to buy some 3M carbon fiber Di-noc vinyl and play around with it. So here's what I did this morning ;)

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Prima!! I wish I could have gotten a PE, but all the ones in my area were sold :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Ressol! I see you have great taste yourself :D. I see the number on the side of your car...does that mean you took it to the track already? How did it too? I've never tracked any car before, but I was considering trying it out just for fun to see if I like it.
I autocrossed it and did great. Usually I end up 1/2 down the PAX times and this time I was only 1/3 down. I was one of the fastest stock cars and beat some competitive cars with aggressive tires. All this on the crappy stock tires and alignment. I think the 500 will be a contender on the national AutoX circuit if they don't ban it from the stock class (rollover concerns).

I'm not sure if I'll track it since I usually run NASA at Homestead, which means crazy machinery on a long track - intimidating in a little 101 hp car. My S2000 was one of the slowest cars there and it had 2.4 times more horsepower than the 500. I might track it with Chin though - much slower crowd :D

When I trade up for the Abarth it'll be a different story though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I autocrossed it and did great. Usually I end up 1/2 down the PAX times and this time I was only 1/3 down. I was one of the fastest stock cars and beat some competitive cars with aggressive tires. All this on the crappy stock tires and alignment. I think the 500 will be a contender on the national AutoX circuit if they don't ban it from the stock class (rollover concerns).

I'm not sure if I'll track it since I usually run NASA at Homestead, which means crazy machinery on a long track - intimidating in a little 101 hp car. My S2000 was one of the slowest cars there and it had 2.4 times more horsepower than the 500. I might track it with Chin though - much slower crowd :D

When I trade up for the Abarth it'll be a different story though.
Nice! Thanks for the info. I've always wanted to try autocross, but never did :(. I regret not trying autocross back when I had my 350Z. But maybe starting with the Fiat is a better idea since it's a slower car and I'll probably get the hang of it easier. But even though the Fiat isn't the fastest car in the world, in my opinion it's REALLY fun to drive. I think it handles very well :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all
I've had my car key covered with that carbon fiber look vinyl, and I wanted to cover my steering wheel buttons also like you did, but the guy that made me this does not know how to take of that pieces (neither do I). Did you unmount those pieces?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all
I've had my car key covered with that carbon fiber look vinyl, and I wanted to cover my steering wheel buttons also like you did, but the guy that made me this does not know how to take of that pieces (neither do I). Did you unmount those pieces?
Nice, I covered my key fob too!! haha
No, you don't have to take those steering wheel pieces off. Take a piece of paper and hold it up to your steering wheel trim piece. Then cut out a piece of paper that's roughly an inch bigger than the trim piece all around. Then hold that piece of paper up to the steering wheel and start cutting away at it with scissors until you have a piece that's about 1/8th of an inch bigger than the plastic part. Trace that onto your vinyl and cut it out. Stick the vinyl onto the plastic and VERY CAREFULLY cut the remaining edge off with one of those sharp exacto knives. Be very careful around the leather part of the steering wheel because you don't want to cut that. Take your fingernail and make a slight indentation where the buttons under the vinyl are. Then you should have something that looks like this

Now again really carefully use your knife to cut out that center piece and you're done! It's actually not as hard as it looks. It took me about 10 minutes per side, and I've never wrapped anything in vinyl before.

Then here's your finished product :D

I think I'm going to also cover that circular area around the Fiat logo in carbon fiber vinyl also.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've always wanted to try autocross, but never did :(. I regret not trying autocross back when I had my 350Z. But maybe starting with the Fiat is a better idea since it's a slower car and I'll probably get the hang of it easier. But even though the Fiat isn't the fastest car in the world, in my opinion it's REALLY fun to drive. I think it handles very well :D
You should try it. Worst thing that would happen is that your brake pads and tires will be abused, but that's half the fun.

And I agree with you about the Z; it's much better to start off where your driving skills are not overwhelmed by your car - with the Z, it would have been much easier to rely on your car's abilities to mask your improper techniques. In the 500, you'll learn better driving quicker.

Ressol - I'm with you - I hope the Abarth will give the Minis (at least S, I think JCWs will still have an advantage) a run for their money in the stock class. We'll find out next year. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts