Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy howdy - first post here. I just put down a deposit for a launch abarth here in Minnesota - need to get my specifications in, would love some thoughts.

Where I'm at right now - Bianco exterior with red trim/caps. Safety/convenience package, nero leather, power sunroof.

I'm torn on the wheels. Being in Minnesota, the pzero nero tires on the 17s would be a great year round fit, pretty much necessitating a separate set of snows. But I love the look of the white 12 spokes. I'm sure the stickier tires are nice, but my other car is a Lotus Elise, so I'm not that concerned with making the abarth super sporty. Anyone have thoughts on what a set of the white abarth wheels might cost down the line?

Other thoughts?

Looking forward to it - had an '05 Cooper S, then moved to a Saab 9-2x aero and have missed having a small car for zipping around town. Grew up riding in Fiats (mom had a 131 wagon, dad an 850 spider), and also run a '72 Alfa Spider.

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm torn on the wheels. Being in Minnesota, the pzero nero tires on the 17s would be a great year round fit, pretty much necessitating a separate set of snows. But I love the look of the white 12 spokes. I'm sure the stickier tires are nice, but my other car is a Lotus Elise, so I'm not that concerned with making the abarth super sporty. Anyone have thoughts on what a set of the white abarth wheels might cost down the line?

Other thoughts?
First, Congrats...Second, are you sure you want the upkeep of white wheels? They are a real pain. My understanding is you want to get the standard 16" and get 17" later. Abarth wheels are going to be expensive. You can get a nice set of 17" (or 16") wheels/tires on Tire Rack. If you want snow tires, I'd suggest getting in touch with 500madness. I believe they have sets of steel 15" takeoff wheels that you can mount a set of snows on for a reasonable amount If not, they can tell you who is selling them.

You might want to look at the white car with the 16" wheels though. I don't care for the look but some do.

Enjoy, and welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt I'd bother with snows if I go for the stock wheels - I always ran all season performance tires on my mini without much trouble in the city.

I like the look of the 16s ok, and I agree that the white 17s are likely to be a cleaning nightmare. But I do love the white/white look.

I figure I'll start with the 16s, and if I'm really unhappy, I can always keep an eye out for a used set or save my pennies for a new set.

Eager to call and lock in my spec tomorrow. Wish xenons and heated seats were options, but it's sure to be a blast!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I doubt I'd bother with snows if I go for the stock wheels - I always ran all season performance tires on my mini without much trouble in the city. I like the look of the 16s ok, and I agree that the white 17s are likely to be a cleaning nightmare. But I do love the white/white look. I figure I'll start with the 16s, and if I'm really unhappy, I can always keep an eye out for a used set or save my pennies for a new set. Eager to call and lock in my spec tomorrow. Wish xenons and heated seats were options, but it's sure to be a blast! Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thought it was the Safety/convenience package that included the heated seats, having bought my Sport loaded with some extras though I didn't really break down the what's what of it all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is that heated seats only come with safety/convenience if you've got auto transmission? Shrug. I'll just wear thicker pants!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My understanding is that heated seats only come with safety/convenience if you've got auto transmission? Shrug. I'll just wear thicker pants! Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Ah, I see, well either way it's gonna be cool and fun, that said I LOVE my heated seats, drove my mothers 2012 Ford Escape and her seats are a plastic-like leather and the heat took a long time to really feel nice where the 500 seems to heat really quickly and is way warmer, since I am SSSOOO easily cold I'd have to look into after-market heated seats like one of the guys on here did.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
One of the best ways to clean white rims is "Wheel wax" and when you go to wash them use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges. I used them on my Cooper S white wheels and it does wonders to remove brake dust, road, grime, tar and what ever gets on your rims with out scratching them. With the exception of a few dings from rocks my rims looked brand new when I sold the car at 42,000 miles.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Get the large wheels. Spend the $$$$. You only live once. Load the puppy up with every thing.

I don't seem to get the brake dust on my 500 sport, like some german cars, I've owned.

Wish the Abarth offered heated seat. Hello Fiat!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 16's just don't fill the car out as nice as the 17's. I say get the 17's. If you are up for the cleaning then white on white would look awesome.

As Vtech mini said, Wheel Wax does work well. I use that plus foaming wheel cleaner.

·
Registered
108 Posts
VTEC Mini,

Been there, done that. I had white wheels on my VW Golf. They looked really nice but they are dirty after the first drive to the market and back. I'm going for a white Abarth white with the factory black 17's. I don't want to look at, or try to keep up with the brake dust on white wheels again. I would order the Convenience package so I can at least get automatic climate control. No sunroofs extra weight for me, rubber to fail, and drivers interior height deleted via a sunroof. I guess I'll spring for the leather but I do want to see the cloth, or whatever it is before I decide. No Tom Tom GPS technology that I believe will look really old and dated in five years time, and it looks kind of silly to me. I'll just use my own thank you very much! I guess I'll flip the fifty bucks for the engine block heater just so I can plug it in at night and keep it warm and comfy in the garage;)

hartmn

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
VTEC Mini,

Been there, done that. I had white wheels on my VW Golf. They looked really nice but they are dirty after the first drive to the market and back. I'm going for a white Abarth white with the factory black 17's. I don't want to look at, or try to keep up with the brake dust on white wheels again. I would order the Convenience package so I can at least get automatic climate control. No sunroofs extra weight for me, rubber to fail, and drivers interior height deleted via a sunroof. I guess I'll spring for the leather but I do want to see the cloth, or whatever it is before I decide. No Tom Tom GPS technology that I believe will look really old and dated in five years time, and it looks kind of silly to me. I'll just use my own thank you very much! I guess I'll flip the fifty bucks for the engine block heater just so I can plug it in at night and keep it warm and comfy in the garage;)

hartmn
That's all fine and good. I was trying to help those with white wheels. With my "S" I carried around a plush microfiber towel and a squirt bottle of Simple Green for those in between washes. For some reason German cars produce a lot of dust (yes MINI is built in Britain but designed in Germany.). I switched to EBC brake pads which helped out big time with the dust.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Eager to call and lock in my spec tomorrow. Wish xenons and heated seats were options, but it's sure to be a blast!

I wholeheartedly agree. FIAT is leaving a LOT of money on the table by not offering these options on manual cars. Another big one is not offering a manual on the Lounge. A lot of people would jump from Pops to Lounge when they buy if that was an option I think.

Cheers

p.s. I was going w/the 16" but have decided to go with the Hyper Black 17" on my white Abarth. You only live once and if it does ever snow down here, I have other cars. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was disappointed when I purchased my Lounge that FIAT Canada only offered heated seats with the automatic so I don't have heated seats now. BUT! Heated seats are an option for the Abarth up here so I am extremely happy!

I agree with the others, I'd go for the 17's!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts