Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
it would be good to have a big brand like K&N supporting the 500 but I would rather give my money to road/race, cstuning, and other companies that actually have a presence here on the forums.

·
Registered
470 Posts
it would be good to have a big brand like K&N supporting the 500 but I would rather give my money to road/race, cstuning, and other companies that actually have a presence here on the forums.
I am all for supporting the community ... but with what is offered I have no options. Robs hot air intake makes no sense... and Comps cold air is not an option because I will be driving in all weather conditions including water and heavy rain. Look at " if someone made this I would buy it" post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not sure a cold air intake on normally aspirated 500 is worth while. The volume of air being drawn into each cylinder is very small which means the difference in air density is going to have a negligible effect. My guess is that any performance gains are from a less restrictive air flow which could be accomplished by almost any air-intake modifications.

It will be interesting to see the performance gains from a K&N filter compared to the cold air intake. I am going to say they will be virtually identical...

Just a thought..

Ed

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is more critical with smaller engines. I am also a pilot... helicopter a and multi engine fixed wing. The smaller the engine the more you have to take temperature into consideration. At sea level a low output engine will loose up to 30% HP on a 105 degree day as opposed to a 60 degree day. With a higher power to weight aircraft the effect of power loss from heat is proportionally less noticeable. It will be interesting to see if someone will make something I will can before K&N does.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If K&N isn't delivering, you could try Green Filter (http://www.greenfilterusa.com/).

On a side note, the oiled cotton filters do not filter out fine debris as well as the paper filters (being "high flow" filters). That does allow a slight increase on the wear and tear on the engine. Also, they do tend to work best until they are washed and re-oiled by the user. There seems to be a tendency to over oil the filter and/or miss areas of the filter, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
maybe the guys at '500madness' will come up with something on their own, like they did for the smart car. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts