Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiat 500 Convertible Trunk Lid Won't Open- Reset Solution

This trunk reset may have been posted before but I'll do it again since my search couldn't find it.

I have a 2010 Fiat 500 Convertible. For the second time in a year my electronic key would not open the trunk lid. And since there is no physical keyhole to open the trunk I went again to the Fiat service department.

This what they taught me.

The trunk/key problem is a software glitch when the Fiat key won't open the trunk because the Fiat thinks the retractable canvas roof is open and blocking the trunk lid.

Therefore you need to reset the system. Here's what they told me.

Hold down the open roof button all the way to the maximum until the canvas roof blocks the trunk lid from opening.

Now hold down the close roof button and don't take your finger off the button. Continue to hold the button as the roof now starts to close. Normally the roof will close in segments but if the roof senses it need to be reset it will NOT stop at segment points.

Instead, if you continue to hold the button it should close all the way. Don't take your finger off the close button even after it closes all the way. Continue to hold the button and the roof should now start to retract one third of the way and stop.

Now it the time to take your finger off the button. Then hit the close button again and the roof should close back up again.

The roof should now be reset and the trunk should now open if you hit the open trunk button on our key.

The method of resetting the roof will not work if the Fiat doesn't sense the roof needs to be reset.

I suggest you try this the next time your key will open the doors of your Fiat 500 convertible but not the trunk.

I hope I explained it correctly and I hope it works for you. Of course it would be nice if Fiat had a software bug fix for this.

Monkman

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I think it's been posted a few times and should have been made a sticky, but wasn't. Thanks for the help and reminder!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think it's been posted a few times and should have been made a sticky, but wasn't. Thanks for the help and reminder!

Copied to the DIY section and stuck...although not the usual DIY it is a way to "fix it yourself" so it works well enough for me and is there for easy reference now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Abarth c just did this over the weekend. I now know how to fix it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My Abarth C just did this last week - it no longer would open the trunk and the soft top would open and close only the duration I held my finger on the button.
I tried the recommended fix and held the open button down until it completely retracted, then held the close button even after it fully closed, but my top latch kept trying over and over again to latch the top, rather than retracting to the reset position of part open.

Short of visiting the dealer, any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2012 500c. This has been my experience with this issue.

The day we bought it, January 29, 2012, I noticed that the trunk wouldn't open. We brought it back to the dealer a week later. He kept it for FIVE WEEKS. Nothing he tried worked. So he started calling Fiat in Italy. Turned out to be the computer mother board. Once that was replaced, the trunk worked fine. Until this week.

Now the trunk won't open again. We usually open it manually. It's locked tight.

The dealer told us when we bought it that we must be very careful never to open the trunk when the top was down. Well, in earlier models, maybe. But on mine, as soon as I crack the trunk open a hair with the top down, the top automatically closes. New for 2012, I guess, but they forgot to tell the dealers.

I tried the fix mentioned here but it doesn't work, because the trunk doesn't care if the top is up or down.

There are no longer any Fiat dealers or warranty service in Sacramento - go figure, because these little cars are all over the place here - and I don't want to have to go to Reno or Berkeley for service. So I"m finding a local mechanic. My car is long out of warranty anyway.

·
Registered
513 Posts
@Penguinlady, When you press the open-top button once and release, the top automatically goes to the first open position or just opens a little bit and stops?

·
Registered
513 Posts
It goes to the first of three open positions. Closes the same way.
It looks like the top is operating correctly. Your problem may be directly with the trunk release mechanism. I would check the fuses first. Luckily you can open the trunk by flipping down the rear seats and pulling the emergency release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest you try this the next time your key will open the doors of your Fiat 500 convertible but not the trunk.

I hope I explained it correctly and I hope it works for you. Of course it would be nice if Fiat had a software bug fix for this.
Hello, thanks, yes this was successful for me, with one important preconition:

MAKE SURE THE REAR HEADRESTS ARE COMPLETELY DOWN BEFORE DOING THE PROCEDURE

If they are up even a little bit, the procedure will fail to take effect.

Otherwise,

Thanks very much.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing advice. Boot wouldn’t open at all. Reset roof but that didn’t work, out headrests down at reset worked?!! 🤪
Can open boot with fob only but better than nothing. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This trunk reset may have been posted before but I'll do it again since my search couldn't find it.

I have a 2010 Fiat 500 Convertible. For the second time in a year my electronic key would not open the trunk lid. And since there is no physical keyhole to open the trunk I went again to the Fiat service department.

The trunk/key problem is a software glitch when the Fiat key won't open the trunk because the Fiat thinks the retractable canvas roof is open and blocking the trunk lid.

Hold down the open roof button all the way to the maximum until the canvas roof blocks the trunk lid from opening.

Now hold down the close roof button and don't take your finger off the button. Continue to hold the button as the roof now starts to close. Normally the roof will close in segments but if the roof senses it need to be reset it will NOT stop at segment points.

Instead, if you continue to hold the button it should close all the way. Don't take your finger off the close button even after it closes all the way. Continue to hold the button and the roof should now start to retract one third of the way and stop.

Now it the time to take your finger off the button. Then hit the close button again and the roof should close back up again.

The roof should now be reset and the trunk should now open if you hit the open trunk button on our key.

The method of resetting the roof will not work if the Fiat doesn't sense the roof needs to be reset.

Monkman
Just bought a 2012 rag top and this happen to me. Thanks for the help it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Monkman
I had this same issue. this meathod was not working at first , but gave it a couple tries and it eventually worked

·
Registered
3 Posts

Monkman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Followed the instructions for boot not opening linked with sun roof on my 67 reg fiat 500 and it worked thank you for your help Regards POG

·
Registered
3 Posts

Monkman
Brilliant thanks again for your post worked on a 67 reg fiat 500.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts