Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a problem today with the boot not opening on my 500c and after visiting the forum I performed the roof reset which worked the first time.
many thanks to you all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fiat 500 Convertible Trunk Lid Won't Open- Reset Solution

This trunk reset may have been posted before but I'll do it again since my search couldn't find it.

I have a 2010 Fiat 500 Convertible. For the second time in a year my electronic key would not open the trunk lid. And since there is no physical keyhole to open the trunk I went again to the Fiat service department.

This what they taught me.

The trunk/key problem is a software glitch when the Fiat key won't open the trunk because the Fiat thinks the retractable canvas roof is open and blocking the trunk lid.

Therefore you need to reset the system. Here's what they told me.

Hold down the open roof button all the way to the maximum until the canvas roof blocks the trunk lid from opening.

Now hold down the close roof button and don't take your finger off the button. Continue to hold the button as the roof now starts to close. Normally the roof will close in segments but if the roof senses it need to be reset it will NOT stop at segment points.

Instead, if you continue to hold the button it should close all the way. Don't take your finger off the close button even after it closes all the way. Continue to hold the button and the roof should now start to retract one third of the way and stop.

Now it the time to take your finger off the button. Then hit the close button again and the roof should close back up again.

The roof should now be reset and the trunk should now open if you hit the open trunk button on our key.

The method of resetting the roof will not work if the Fiat doesn't sense the roof needs to be reset.

I suggest you try this the next time your key will open the doors of your Fiat 500 convertible but not the trunk.

I hope I explained it correctly and I hope it works for you. Of course it would be nice if Fiat had a software bug fix for this.

Monkman
Hi - my son owns a 2012 Fiat 500c Lounge (nosebleed red with tan top), and for the five+ years he has had it, it has been a great little car for him. Heck, I love it too! Several months ago, his trunk deck no longer opened using the key fob. We thought it might have been a faulty release switch, and just did not pursue it further. Meanwhile, if he needed trunk access, he would just drop the rear seats and access the trunk that way - not the most convenient solution, but it worked. I recently came across your post on this forum, and you described the exact problem that my son was having with his trunk lid. So, I followed your steps to reset it, and...VOILA!! It worked like a charm!! The trunk is now responding perfectly to the lock/unlock feature on the fob with no more reaching behind the rear seats to get at it (or having to pull the emergency release cable from inside) !! All's well that ends well...THANK YOU for posting this - it was a real help and was much appreciated.
With gratitude,
Bradman

21 - 23 of 23 Posts