Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
From your description, I'm with smark on this. Or the rear subframe bushing? If you can post the sound, maybe we can give you a better idea. Maybe... There are only so many moving things back there, and only a couple of things that could make noise that you describe.
Can you tell me where the subframe bushing is located?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Can you tell me where the subframe bushing is located?

#10 on this. If you lift a car and stick your head under, it's pretty obvious. I'll take a picture when I have a chance. These bushings, shocks, and springs are pretty much the only think that could make the noise that you describe. The subframe bushing is the least likely candidate, to be honest with you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

#10 on this. If you lift a car and stick your head under, it's pretty obvious. I'll take a picture when I have a chance. These bushings, shocks, and springs are pretty much the only think that could make the noise that you describe. The subframe bushing is the least likely candidate, to be honest with you.
Ok, thank you so much for the info.

·
Registered
2018 500e esport/sunroof
12 Posts
I've got a 500e with a similar clunk. On other cars, I've seen rubber/plastic pads under springs to prevent just such a thing. You said spray lube didn't help but getting something under there might.

Do you think you're hitting the bump-stop? When the shock bottoms out, there's a foam/rubber piece that the car actually stops on - I had them missing in a van once and got a pretty serious knock sound. You could check one side against the other (it is inside the spring, hanging down). There IS a rubber spring pad/"retainer", as well, you could check if it's in good shape.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Bumper

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've got a 500e with a similar clunk. On other cars, I've seen rubber/plastic pads under springs to prevent just such a thing. You said spray lube didn't help but getting something under there might.

Do you think you're hitting the bump-stop? When the shock bottoms out, there's a foam/rubber piece that the car actually stops on - I had them missing in a van once and got a pretty serious knock sound. You could check one side against the other (it is inside the spring, hanging down). There IS a rubber spring pad/"retainer", as well, you could check if it's in good shape.

View attachment 111877
Thank you so very much abe. I'll check it and let you know. You're tops!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you so very much abe. I'll check it and let you know. You're tops!
yeah, looks like that might be it. the bumpstop on the right is bent. and when I put my finger on the rubber retainer I got a lot of rubber particles. would you know the part number? and I'd like to try to do the work myself. is it difficult? any suggestions on lifting the car up? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i read your post about the knocking noise you were having from the rear of your abarth, did you manage to stop it? cause what you described is exactly what I'm experiencing, i got this noise since i bought it two years ago, the mechanic checked the car twice and didn't find anything wrong with the suspension, i also changed the rubber mounting from the exhaust and the noise was still there. did you solve the problem?
regards

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think I did solve the problem. I replaced the rubber seats that the springs sit on. The parts are inexpensive. I only replaced the bottom seats. The upper ones I left alone. If you need info about the part number let me know. I have it somewhere. Shouldn't be hard for you to find. Best wishes, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
hi, i read your post about the knocking noise you were having from the rear of your abarth, did you manage to stop it? cause what you described is exactly what I'm experiencing, i got this noise since i bought it two years ago, the mechanic checked the car twice and didn't find anything wrong with the suspension, i also changed the rubber mounting from the exhaust and the noise was still there. did you solve the problem?
regards
By the way, mine isn't an abarth...500 lounge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I did solve the problem. I replaced the rubber seats that the springs sit on. The parts are inexpensive. I only replaced the bottom seats. The upper ones I left alone. If you need info about the part number let me know. I have it somewhere. Shouldn't be hard for you to find. Best wishes, I hope this helps.
By seats I meant the pads. Before installing the new pads, I did try to spray the old pads with silicone spray, but it didn't help.
i can't find the pads for the abarth 595 competizione, all i see is the rubber stop but not the pads where the spring seat.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts