Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest MPG number with 1/4 tank left (my usual fill-up point):

This is the highest I've gotten over a normal commute period (70% highway/30% backroads/small town). It was a typical commute with one exception; I shifted at 2500rpms instead of my normal 3000rpms.

Not bad, eh? :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Latest MPG number with 1/4 tank left (my usual fill-up point):

This is the highest I've gotten over a normal commute period (70% highway/30% backroads/small town). It was a typical commute with one exception; I shifted at 2500rpms instead of my normal 3000rpms.

Not bad, eh? :cool:
Verrrrry niiiiiiiiiiiiice. I like your cluster.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I must say, I wasn't too thrilled with the Sport styling when I bought my Pop, so that, coupled with the price difference and the fact I was more interested in fuel efficiancy over performance, made my decision much easier. The dealer kept pushing all the Sport attributes (it was the only car he had at the time) and I kept shooting it down:

DEALER: Doesn't it look great, like a mean little monster!
ME: I don't like the side moldings. I like the simple lines of the Pop.
D: But those tires are awesome! 16"! (or whatever they are)
M: They look too fat for the car. I like the regular tires on the Pop.
D: And those rims say, don't mess with me!
M: They're too flashy for me. I like the plain ones on the Pop.
D: How about these firm seats, they remind me of racing seats!
M: They're cutting into my legs, and they look too flashy for me, I like the ones in the Pop I saw online.
D: Isn't it cool how everything is right in one cluster? Cool!
M: I don't like the font, it looks different than the one I saw online for the Pop.
D: Now really punch it when you drive it, feel the acceleration!
M: I'm not really interested in performance, but mileage and classic styling, that's why I like the Pop.
D: So, can I order you one of these Sports?
M: No, I'd rather have the Pop.
D: Really?

Now, I'm exaggerating, it wasn't quite that bad, but I'm not that far off! ;)

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
That's what I was getting yesterday morning, for the first 25 minutes drive to work. About 46 mpg. Warms up better gas mileage. Today, only getting between 34-36 mpg's. Had some city driving in there. We going on a road trip tomorrow morning. Very curious what 3 hours on the highway will get me with 2 people, and luggage in the car. Upper 30's is cool with me!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im at 34mpg all city driving, WOT everywhere i go!

·
Registered
131 Posts
How are you guys doing that?? I'm averaging 29-30 with only city driving. Maybe it's because we have so many hills here in Seattle.

And that is very conservative driving, too. If I put my foot down at all the average goes down to 27 or 28

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like to know how you are doing it also. I have a auto sport. If I drive the freeway i will get 35 or 36, but combined with LA city driving will go down to 24 or 25 and sometimes lower. If I only do city driving it is lower 20s.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A manual trans model can pull those numbers but an autobox can't. I can see over 40mpg on the freeway and low 30's around town with my manual Pop.

The best way i have found to increase mpg's is to drive like you have no brakes, and in traffic try to coast until the signal lights far ahead turn green.

·
Registered
133 Posts
33.5 around city here in South Florida, just got back from trip to Atlanta, got average of 38.5 mpg, average speed was 80. That was up and down.. GREAT ride on the trip!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm sure I drive a lot tamer than many of the people here. That probably has a lot to do with it. My commute is 50 miles each way and probably 45 of that is highway, and 30 of that is light traffic. So my cruise control gets set to 62mph and doesn't budge. On some weekdays and then in the weekends, that's my in town driving.

On a really good day, I won't have to touc the cruise control at all. Usually, though, I hit some stop and go, during which I do my best not to stop; i.e., I don't ride the guy's tail in front of me. I'll leave it in second and drive 20mph even though the traffic might pulsate, so to speak, between 15-35mph. I don't take any special precautions at stop lights, like I don't intentionally try to coast through them.

I also have a very light acceleration foot. This car is rated at something like 10 seconds for 0-60mph, I think. I'm probably more like 18-20 seconds. Now I'm curious, I'm going to time myself!

I'll admit, it's probably not the way most people want to drive.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Just drove 210 miles. 65-75 miles an hour. 70 degrees. The best we got was 33-34 mpg.

Really disappointed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I really like to know how you are doing it also. I have a auto sport. If I drive the freeway i will get 35 or 36, but combined with LA city driving will go down to 24 or 25 and sometimes lower. If I only do city driving it is lower 20s.
Ciao DolceVita1: Don't you fret. I also drive in Los Angeles with an auto sport and I only get lower 20s. I live on the Westside and I drive less than 5 miles each trip, if I drive at all. I have "Instantaneous Economy" on and watch it go down when I pull away from a stop sign/stop light, of which there are a lot. Highways I can get 38-40 under ideal conditions. I wish I could coast to the next stop light/sign, but the cars behind me...they get angry.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I just timed my 0-60mph. I think the car will do it in 10 seconds or so, and I estimated mine at about 20 seconds.

So, on a fairly flat, straight road, with no other traffic around, I timed myself with a stopwatch, and my time is... 41 seconds. So, yes, I drive with a light touch. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Pipster. I thought I was the only one that got bad mpg, but I think when we talk about city driving it depends on what city you're driving it. Some live in middle America and just because they don't drive the freeway I would not call it city driving. If it is smooth sailing with no stop signs or traffic lights.I live in Glendale and the traffic lights here are not synced so I stop on each traffic light and don't even get me started on the stop signs. And the traffic here in LA makes it impossible to get good gas milage. If anyone else has the same driving conditions I would like to her what he has to say.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
As I mentioned above I tend to drive a bit hard all around, I have the auto and usually pull as low as 28 in city and 42 on the highway, generally as of late I have been sitting about 28-29 but haven't done any highway driving, went to the gas station I used to always use and I don't really think my driving habits changed overnight but the tank so far is netting me 33.x after only 1/4 of the tank gone which normally did not happen so I may go back to that station a few more times and see if there is actually that much difference in their gas somehow. Weird thing is a friends girl told me she gets terrible mileage when she goes there so she always avoids it, time will tell but I am happier to see the extra few MPGs return!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts