Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone to blame for Fiat's missteps into the US market? Head of the Fiat brand in North America, Laura Soave has been let go as reported by Bloomberg today.

Jalopnik speculates improper relations with Michael D'Antonio, CEO of Fiat's former ad agency Impatto.

The backlash has begun folks. Hopefully Tim Kuniskis the marketting executive who's taking her place is up to the task of fixing Fiat's reputation here in the states. So help me, If one more person asks me "where's jlo" when they see my Fiat, I might lose it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looking for someone to blame for Fiat's missteps into the US market? Head of the Fiat brand in North America, Laura Soave has been let go as reported by Bloomberg today.

Jalopnik speculates improper relations with Michael D'Antonio, CEO of Fiat's former ad agency Impatto.

The backlash has begun folks. Hopefully Tim Kuniskis the marketting executive who's taking her place is up to the task of fixing Fiat's reputation here in the states. So help me, If one more person asks me "where's jlo" when they see my Fiat, I might lose it.
d

It's about time, in fact its 6 months too late. I've been saying that here since then. She was a loser from day 1, botching everything from the late or lost PE deliveries, to the 80% of cars with automatic transmissions dumped on dealers , to the complete lack fo advertising and promotions surrounding the product introduction, to J-Lo and everything in between. She was the in-charge, she did an awful job, she takes the full responsibility, whether or not she was messing around with D'Antonio. In fact blaming the tryst instead of her incompetence unfortunately takes the spotlight off her incompetence. I sure hope Kuniskis is competent enough to save this brand, and my car's resale value- perhaps they should have raided BMW for their MINI marketing team instead.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

OH MAN, lol. Was it something I said before about this sketchy relationship or what!? I actually posted she should be fired on the Fiat USA Twitter site last week!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I could not care less about her relationships. As long as they did not affect her work.

But, what he have are:
1) Poor sales
2) Marketing that has come under lots of criticism
3) Rollout problems.

Someone has got to pay. Guess who?

Sorry to see it didn't work out. :(

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
d

It's about time, in fact its 6 months too late. I've been saying that here since then. She was a loser from day 1, botching everything from the late or lost PE deliveries, to the 80% of cars with automatic transmissions dumped on dealers , to the complete lack fo advertising and promotions surrounding the product introduction, to J-Lo and everything in between. She was the in-charge, she did an awful job, she takes the full responsibility, whether or not she was messing around with D'Antonio. In fact blaming the tryst instead of her incompetence unfortunately takes the spotlight off her incompetence. I sure hope Kuniskis is competent enough to save this brand, and my car's resale value- perhaps they should have raided BMW for their MINI marketing team instead.
WOW.....she must have had alot on her plate if she was personally responsible for losing or causing to be late, the deliveries of many PE's, as well as all the other issues you've stated. also I suppose that since she was head of FIAT USA, she's not entitled to a personal life? huh.

seriously, I highly doubt that ONE PERSON was making all those calls, but regardless, it does no good to point fingers. if you had issues with Soave, then fine....but no need to be ugly about it.

IMO, FIAT's marketing is NOT the problem....the problem is the mindset of the American public. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
WOW.....she must have had alot on her plate if she was personally responsible for losing or causing to be late, the deliveries of many PE's, as well as all the other issues you've stated. also I suppose that since she was head of FIAT USA, she's not entitled to a personal life? huh.

seriously, I highly doubt that ONE PERSON was making all those calls, but regardless, it does no good to point fingers. if you had issues with Soave, then fine....but no need to be ugly about it.

IMO, FIAT's marketing is NOT the problem....the problem is the mindset of the American public. :(
Ugly? Ugly truth. She was the boss. That makes her personally responsible for the failures of the department and organization reporting to her, whether they were her ideas, approved by her, or approved by someone reporting to her. End of story.

That's how it works for me. That's how it works for any senior executive.

I don't care about her personal life or anything outside of her executing on the successful marketing of the FIAT 500 in North America and frankly would prefer that her firing was clearly due to her gross incompetence alone and not clouded with inuendos about conflicts of interest with the former PR firm.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Laura Soave was greasing the palms of Michael D'Antonio and Impatto for obvious reasons. Impatto is a amateur agency.

"Fiat North America has ended its relationship with Impatto Custom Marketing, the Southfield, Michigan ad agency that launched the company’s first national advertising campaign for Fiat’s iconic 500 model in the U.S. marketplace this year.
Dianna Gutierrez a rep at Chrysler, which is reintroducing the Italian brand to Americans after an absence of nearly a quarter of a century, said the marketer is “winding down” its relationship with Impatto. The agency, run by founder, CEO Michael D’Antonio, previously worked with Laura Soave, the head of Fiat brand North America, when she was at Ford’s Lincoln marquee."

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, had I seen a JLO commercial before I purchased my Fiat I doubt I'd be driving one today. I would've kept my GTI and been very happy with it. With Fiat you're buying into nostalgia, design, something new and special. Not reminiscing about growing up in Brooklyn or embracing the urge to dance in the middle of a post-apocalyptic wasteland at 42 and recently divorced. The ads didn't connect with buyers and airing them during Monday night football was a very bad idea. First impressions are important in a market as shaky as the auto-industry. Every misstep your brand makes goes under intense scrutiny. In order to get people in America to change their mindset one of the things you have to do is help them imagine the potential benefits of said change. The only thing that the JLO marketing campaign has accomplished was promoting JLO, Fiat was probably locked into a contract and they're paying dearly for it. There's a spark of interest in the Abarth and the new online ad for it is a good sign, I think Fiat is listening.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The car is not selling. Someone's head gotta roll. From what I have read, Marchione is not a touchy feely let's just wait around kinda guy. We cannot say it's the American public. Not yet, when there are not enough dealers to sell them and crazy marketing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We cannot say it's the American public.
Sure we can. It's smaller than a Mini, doesn't get great gas mileage, isn't a hybrid, and is the only model they sell. Why would it not be a failure with anyone but a small bunch of enthusiasts/old romantics?

I agree that the JLo campaign was a very bad idea, but also cannot think that the results would have been all that much different anyway - the cards are already stacked against Fiat in the US, assuming that they don't have realistic expectations and an understanding that the brand will need some time to get on solid ground. Which it appears that they don't.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I see a lot of people associating Soave with the JLO fiasco. Truth is that Soave was demoted a while back (the firing is really no surprise) and it was Olivier Francois who came up with the whole JLO idea. But he's pretty high on the Chrysler food chain so he refuses to admit he's wrong. He's making up excuses for the whole campaign, putting all kinds of spins on it ("it's not really a commercial; it's a preview for JLO's video"). He makes Soave look like Mini's old marketing team. So the nightmare is not truly over.

That said, Francois did hint that his marketing duties were temporary and the JLO deal was for three commercials. With the 3rd commercial out now (Gucci) and Kuniskis on board, he should be stepping aside anytime now and this could be a bright new beginning for FIAT. Soave didn't get the male perspective, Francois didn't get neither that nor American pop culture (he's French), but Kuniskis seems like a down to earth, no nonsense, car loving good ol' boy. This could be a great thing :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I see a lot of people associating Soave with the JLO fiasco. Truth is that Soave was demoted a while back (the firing is really no surprise) and it was Olivier Francois who came up with the whole JLO idea. But he's pretty high on the Chrysler food chain so he refuses to admit he's wrong. He's making up excuses for the whole campaign, putting all kinds of spins on it ("it's not really a commercial; it's a preview for JLO's video"). He makes Soave look like Mini's old marketing team. So the nightmare is not truly over.

That said, Francois did hint that his marketing duties were temporary and the JLO deal was for three commercials. With the 3rd commercial out now (Gucci) and Kuniskis on board, he should be stepping aside anytime now and this could be a bright new beginning for FIAT. Soave didn't get the male perspective, Francois didn't get neither that nor American pop culture (he's French), but Kuniskis seems like a down to earth, no nonsense, car loving good ol' boy. This could be a great thing :)
Hi,

I was kind of wondering if something as big an issue as signing such a celebrity to an endorsement deal wouldn't require approval from someone fairly high up Fiat's Corporate food chain.

Regards

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Sure we can. It's smaller than a Mini, doesn't get great gas mileage, isn't a hybrid, and is the only model they sell. Why would it not be a failure with anyone but a small bunch of enthusiasts/old romantics?

I agree that the JLo campaign was a very bad idea,....
I agree that the American public's "taste" in cars is a central problem. I can't agree with saying the gas mileage is not good. I'm getting 41 - 43 mpg in city driving. If you drive like the people that only know stomp on the gas and stomp on the brake, you are going to get worse gas mileage. The hybrid is an over-complicated machine, but it does have regenerative braking, which works well for the stomp-stomp crowd.

But - this does not pardon the inept marketing of the car. It is critical to sell while the car is "new." Otherwise, it's not really new any more, and hey, why hasn't it sold?

P.S. If you have been following the Mini, it has morphed into a pudgy fatso of a car. It's more "maxi" now. It's almost not in the same market segment as the 500.

·
Registered
225 Posts
d

I sure hope Kuniskis is competent enough to save this brand, and my car's resale value- perhaps they should have raided BMW for their MINI marketing team instead.
VW beat them to it. They stole the original MINI advertising agency several years ago. Go on YouTube and watch those classic MINI ads from 2002 and then watch the VW "Darth Vader" ad. You'll see. They are genius.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find it curiously amusing that people say they don't hate Jennifer Lopez, but then in the same breath loath Fiat's commercials involving Jennifer Lopez. And, then folks say they are ok with Jennifer Lopez being successful, but then attack her when she is...that perspective is just bat sh*t crazy.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just don't want her anywhere near my car man...

Reactions: Triumph
1 - 20 of 52 Posts