Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport with about 50k miles on it. It has a bad oil leak from within the front timing cover. I'm trying to determine whether it's the crankshaft seal, the oil pump seal, or? The compression is 180 ft lbs across all cylinders. There is significant air pressure from the oil filler cap when it is removed. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who's dealt with this successfully.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There shouldn't be a pressure build up in the engine. Check to see the PCV valve first. The most likely leak is from the front main seal.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Agreed. You can replace the PCV w/o replacing the oil separator box w/ aftermarket parts. (Mopar will sell you the whole unit.) While you have it off, change the O-ring. That's another source of leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the pcv valve and cleaned the AOS, as shown in the video, but I still feel pressure when remove the oil fill cap. I did a leakdown test using my Harbor Freight leakdown tester, getting acceptable readings. I want to solve the crankcase pressure issue because it may be a factor in creating the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts