Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We just had our inspection done prior to our lease ending and they are going to charge us $200 ($100 each) for two new front tires. They're Firestone Firehawks 185 55e15. We know that since the 500e failed at market, that this car will go straight to auction, so why should we be paying for new tires? Any suggestions on how to challenge the charge or where we can get less expensive (used, but passable) Firehawks (they need to match the back tires). Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just glancing through the lease terms, your tread wear can not be: "Tire tread worn to no less than 4/32 inch"

You could buy a tire tread gauge like the one here for a couple of bucks:

Or you can use a penny:

That's pretty reasonable since even if you somehow found cheap tires: Valve stems, TPMS reset, and tire disposal are extra. Unusually 15-25 per tire to have it mounted w/ balancing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, the inspector marked them as needing replacing, but I'll take your advice and do the penny test and if need be buy the tread gauge!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,424 Posts
Unless you're going to be measuring tires a lot, you can just insert a piece of card stock in a groove, mark it at the tread surface, & measure with a ruler. 4/32 is 1/8, & is exactly double the legally required depth shown by the tread wear indicator bars.

I believe most (if not all) leases allow replacement with any equivalent tire, regardless of brand, & even my not-the-cheapest-available Hankooks were around $300 for a whole set, installed, with brand new TPMS (which you won't need) at America's Tire, & you most likely only need new fronts.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Minimum treadwear is a very standard requirement on lease returns. I assume that the inspector measured already and it's very unlikely there is a problem with the assessment. You'll have to check around and decide whether you'll save enough to make it worthwhile, or simply pay the penalty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you're going to be measuring tires a lot, you can just insert a piece of card stock in a groove, mark it at the tread surface, & measure with a ruler. 4/32 is 1/8, & is exactly double the legally required depth shown by the tread wear indicator bars.

I believe most (if not all) leases allow replacement with any equivalent tire, regardless of brand, & even my not-the-cheapest-available Hankooks were around $300 for a whole set, installed, with brand new TPMS (which you won't need) at America's Tire, & you most likely only need new fronts.
Thanks! I'll call America's Tires :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts