Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Fiat 500c 2013 US specs
9 Posts
Dear All,

I have a question regarding this LED replacement. My Fiat 500 2013 (US Spec) has a RDL connector 3 wires with GND, 12V (Low DLR), and 6 Volts (DLR). Do you have the same also? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi - Thanks for posting this. How did you run the wires from the wheel well to the front of the car where you mounted the resistors? Is there an opening or do I have to drill?

View attachment 16802

To get LED's to work (at least on my car) the DRL's registered as burned out without any mods. The current draw (or something) isn't enough to let the computer in the car know there's a light there ready to turn on. So - I added 10ohm, 50W resistors in parallel with the "high" DRL filaments. The "low" output LED lights that are on with the headlights seem to work ok as-is.

View attachment 16842

Inside the wheel well (I found it far easier to jack the car up and take the front wheels off to get access) there's a little access panel in the front. From there you can unscrew a cover that exposes the back of the turn signal and DRL bulbs (which you can remove with a quarter turn - and then they unplug from the socket). I chose to splice into the wires at the main plug so I could leave the bulb cover intact. The center two wires are the ones in question. Counter to intuition - the black wire is ground and the green/yellow wire is the 12V for the "high" DRL filament (the one that's on when the headlights are off).

View attachment 16810 View attachment 16818 View attachment 16826 View attachment 16834

Once spliced into the wires - I actually had to turn the car on with the OEM bulb in the socket for a few seconds - THEN - transfer in the new LED bulb. For whatever reason - when I first turned on with the resistor and LED, the car refused to turn them on - this was true on both sides. Once I turned it on once with the incandescent bulb - the LED bulb worked fine from then on - note, I also tried this without the resistor before and that didn't work.I mounted my resistors up on the cross beam by the headlights because I was planning to use the same wires to power some LED halos in the headlights (if I can ever get them open). Even at 10 ohms and 50W, these get hot pretty fast - they really should be hard mounted to something that can handle & dissipate heat and somewhere they will get air flow.

View attachment 16858 View attachment 16850 View attachment 16866 View attachment 16874

21 - 22 of 22 Posts