Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Fiat Abarth and recently developed a serious problem. I turned the ignition one morning and it failed to start. Tried again. Third time it started and I drove on. The next day the check engine light came on and I immediately made an appointment for service with the dealer. A few days later I was told that there was no oil in the car. I’ve always kept up with regular oil changes and there was no “check oil“ warning light or visible oil leak. The mechanic determined that the oil must be burning off within the engine.

I purchased an extended warranty and the car has less than 34k miles so I’m filing a warranty claim. 🤞🏽
My question is… has anyone else experienced this same issue to the point of it being a “known occurrence” for my make and model? I’m eager to hear your story if you’ve had a similar issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
lol Hardly a lemon. There will not be an oil light until your oil pressure drops to 4 pounds.

All makes of cars can use some oil. The dealer doesn't check oil levels at oil change intervals, so it's up to the owner to make sure their car isn't using oil. 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered acceptable oil use for any car (any manufacturer). Most Fiats (even Abarth) will show little oil use between changes, but it's up to the owner to verify as some do use oil.

Common causes of oil use in the Fiat is a leak in the turbo, an external leak (commonly around the PCV box seal) or the engine (one or more cylinders) burning oil. For the former, that can come on unexpectedly. For the latter it is thought that the piston rings were all aligned with one another from the factory. Some Fiat experts believe oil should be changed at 4000 miles despite what the factory claims, naturally using the proper oil.

The factory suggests checking oil at each fuel stop. I expect the warranty will be honored if it's a blown turbo seal or similar mechanical issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you see no evidence of Oil Leaking, you may be losing Oil through Blow-By. Check-Engine light could be indicating your Catalytic is clogged up. This usually happens to Turbos that are driven harder into the higher RPM ranges.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Comment #6 covers what Fiat considers excessive oil use. In the first 50K miles, 1 quart per 2000 miles. After that, 1 quart in 750 miles. For aggressive driving, a quart in 500 miles is "normal".

That said, many drivers have no discernable oil use for the first 4K miles, with some noting oil use going up after that point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change my oil about every 5000... but after reading the posts here will probably drop to 3 or 4000 mi oil changes.... my car uses a half a quart or so in < 1000 miles... Just have to keep checking. Royal Purple 5-40. Anyone have a recommendation on oil filter? have been using WIX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have a line on good shocks for the ABARTH? BILSTEN has a complete shocks w/springs kit only (bummer... about $1300)... found out KYB has shocks for the 500 that but not for ABARTH ... this according to according to Summit Racing. KONI's are the best, but costly. MOPAR and FIAT have shocks for a bit less. Any suggestions welcome. my 2012 has 75K miles on it now.... Great car except for some problems that never should have occurred due to engineering.... have a leaking right axle to replace: $475.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts