Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to start a thread for anyone and everyone that wants to know how to replace the bulbs on there Fiat 500, it was an idea i had after i posted the How To for the Dome light. I want to go through each bulb and show everyone in one comprehensive place. This is also my journey as i replaced my bulbs with LEDs.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dome Light

Here is a visual guide for the dome light. If you don't have a sunroof it should still be the same.
Here is my dome light assembly. I have the Blue&Me(i think everyone does now) and the sunroof.

Vehicle Car Family car

Insert a flathead screw driver between the light fixture and the sunroof assembly. This took a bit of careful, gently prying (i didn't want to scratch anything.) I focused on the front (closest to the sunroof switch) and close to the corners cause there are clips there.

Vehicle Audio equipment Car Auto part Technology

Here it is disconnected there are 2 wires

Vehicle Rear-view mirror Car Mid-size car Cameras & optics

Another pic of the 2 wires, the one connected to the side is for the lights, the other one wrapped in foamy stuff is to the microphone for the Blue&Me.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Windshield

Here is the back side of it notice the clips at the top near the corners. Also be aware i had to peel off a lot of the foamy cover on the Mic wire to be able to unclip the plug.

Electronics Technology Auto part Trunk

Insert flathead in one of the 2 side openings and pop it, then you should be able to open it with your fingers.

Vehicle Scale model

Here it is open there are 2 festoon bulbs in the center, thats what you need to replace (or upgrade to LEDs) They are C5W which translates to a 10x36mm Festoon bulb.

Helmet Auto part Personal protective equipment Vehicle

Heres a close up of the bulbs. i would suggest if you get LEDs, to angle them since most are directional, not sure just yet what the best angle is yet though, either toward the lenses like a / \ upside down V angle, or maybe up at an angle cause the white piece seems to be a reflector of sorts.

Electronics Technology Electronic device

Installation is reverse of removal. Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks Irishmykl!
Your dome light replacement post was VERY VERY helpful and I actually opened them the other day. It was super easy b/c I knew what to expect!
My request is to choosing the actual light bulbs/LED.
there are so many different LEDs out there and I don't have clue what I should buy.

2 led,4 led, 6 led... both side led, one side led, flat led, round led...

Can you give us some infos about LED bulbs as well?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trunk Light

So here is the How to for the Trunk Light, its probably the easiest one in the whole car.

Here is the location of the tiny trunk light on the drivers side of the trunk

Electronics Technology Electronic device Rim

Probably best to move the seat out of the way to get to it

Vehicle door Hand Auto part Vehicle Car

Heres a better shot, use a flathead screwdriver at the bottom to pop it out.

Ceiling Vehicle door Automotive exterior Floor Automotive window part

Heres what it looks like out of the side panel.

Vehicle door Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

With your fingers you can pull it apart pretty easily to replace the bulb. They are W5W which translates to a 194 bulb.

Finger Hand Medical equipment Hypodermic needle

Here is a side by side of the regular bulb and the LED bulb i replaced it with.

Product Jewellery Fashion accessory Ring Incandescent light bulb

Next up ill show you how i improved the trunk lighting to something actually usable.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Irishmykl!
Your dome light replacement post was VERY VERY helpful and I actually opened them the other day. It was super easy b/c I knew what to expect!
My request is to choosing the actual light bulbs/LED.
there are so many different LEDs out there and I don't have clue what I should buy.

2 led,4 led, 6 led... both side led, one side led, flat led, round led...

Can you give us some infos about LED bulbs as well?

Thanks again!
Yeah i just ordered a few different styles to try out and see what works the best. I checked 3 sites Amazon, superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com for 36mm Festoon bulbs. There are a lot out there so after i get them i put in another post.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Nice, thanks

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better Trunk Light

So here is how i made the trunk light better. I bought a Foot Long Cool White LED strip from Oznium.com http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon they come prewired so i cut one end off since i wouldn't need it.

There is 1 phillips head screw underneath the panel to pull it loose.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

I drilled a hole inside the round peg the trunk shelf sits on and ran the connector wire through the hole.

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

Heres another shot of where the wire goes, i ran the wire down to the stock trunk light.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door

I then soldered the wires into the existing light, there is a yellow/white wire (positive +) and a red/black wire (negative -). On the Oznium strip the black wire with the white stripe is positive (+) and the all black wire is negative (-). Here it is all wired, soldered and taped up.

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle

Then put everything back together, and here is how much better it lights up!

Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to post pictures of how the light connects and disconnects, which allows me to take the trunk shelf off and lay the back seats down with out worrying about the wiring for the lights.

Bumper Vehicle door Automotive exterior Hand Auto part

And heres is how i mounted the lights, i used velcro stripes glued to each piece so i can still remove the LED strip if i need to replace it.

Vehicle Car Bumper Trunk Rim

Next up side marker lights.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i will, but i was looking forward to using the LET THERE BE LIGHT part, LOL. i guess the other is more official looking

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Ok i will, but i was looking forward to using the LET THERE BE LIGHT part, LOL. i guess the other is more official looking
If it makes you feel better begin each tutorial with that line...lol. I was sorta aiming for the "official looking" title though. Thanks again for the excellent tutorials. :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
One error here. The trunk light is a 5W bulb. W5W actually translates to U.S. #168. The 194 is a 3W bulb.

My trunk light bulb burned out, and I went to replace it with a 194 since I had a few on hand. The car wouldn't even light up a 194 (tried several), even though I had 12V at the socket. I'm not sure why. My 194's fit fine and buzzed out OK. On my next trip out, I'm going to buy #168 (or W5W) and will give it a try.

With your fingers you can pull it apart pretty easily to replace the bulb. They are W5W which translates to a 194 bulb.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just got the License plate light out warning on dash. Alas they seem to be a special type, not available at a parts store, so off to the dealer I guess. Has anyone replaced these?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have. Had to by the whole hatch handle for my early production 2012. Apparently, midway through that year they switched to replaceable lamps. The handle I bought from the dealer has replaceable lamps, but they are special- only available from the dealer and still pretty expensive. Sorry...

-Ed

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks. Did some research. Mine was built in October so hopefully it has the replaceable bulbs. Being LED, one would think that they would last longer. The left and right have separate parts numbers for some odd reason. I did see some on line for about 20 bucks. Will see what the dealer has on Monday. No worries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, they should last longer. I think it's corrosion that kills them, not LED component failure. As you know, they are LED modules. The left and right modules are mirror images, so that's why they have the individual PNs and they each cost about $20. I think I paid about $100 or $150 for the whole hatch handle that included the two modules. Replacing the hatch handle was pretty easy, just a few threaded fasteners and a bunch of nylon clips to get the inside panel off.

The handles are mechanically identical for the replaceable and non-replaceable lamp versions. The only difference is the wiring for the replaceable modules is connectorized so you can unplug the modules and change them out. The modules themselves are the same. It's kind of a stupid design, not very economical (from an engineer's perspective).

-Ed

·
Registered
424 Posts
Although built in October, I have to replace the whole handle. What is the best technique for removing the plastic clips that secure the inside hatch cover?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I pried them with slow, steady pressure. I did get them all out without breaking any. Almost lost a few because they launched when they let go, but I found them and got them all back in.

-Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts