Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stated that I am very close to the buying this 500, but I need some help with a general concensus with regard to protection coverage. Which did you guys pick and what do you believe it is a good price to pay for the coverage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Best price is $0.00 as most of it is pretty useless and nothing but a cash grab.

Any paint protection or sealant is a glorified clear coat that will usually wear away with normal waxing and polishing anyway.

Rust protection either interior or exterior is also a crock as you would literally have to coat all metal surfaces to truly get rust protection and thats not feasable on metal cars.

That black tar they shoot to protect your under-carriage is also a waiste if you ever plan on modding the car, alot of that goes on your exhaust which is usually the first thing to go etc etc.

This is all my personal opinion mind you, others may feel differantly but it's all snake oil to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Court, your input is greatly appreciated. I was suckered into getting and extended warranty on my Nissan; I never used it. I could have used that cash for extra goodies for the car or a new flat screen (I just my first, 2 week ago).

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Fiat 500 Lounge Cabrio is my 13th new car since 2006 so I never have any use for an extended warranty. The standard manufacture warranty is good enough for me. I can't even remember the last time I bought a set of new tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Nero, I appreciate your input here. I really want to use the money that would go for the extended warranty towards the Thule roof rack instead.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Geico....7 year 100,000 miles bumper to bumper, matches factory warrany for about $7-$10 a month. you pay as you go, sell the car you stop paying...if you keep the car, you keep paying and have coverage. its a nobrainer

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never purchased an extended waranty since I've read that they are a waste. But $10.00 more per month might makes sense.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had a number of new cars and never purchased extended warranty. I picked up my RX-8 in 2004 and up until the warranty ran out I had never brought it in other than regular maintenance. Within 30 days of my warranty expiring I started having issues and it was pretty regular after that. I would guess that I had spent almost $10,000 on repairs since the warranty ran out and finally dumped the car for the 500. Needless to say I have an extended warranty on the FIAT for 5 years 115,000 Kms. The problem with car issues is that you don't know if you'll get hit with them, you may not but then again you may get slammed.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It may be worthwhile if you plan on keeping the car forever ( like I am ). One way to look at it is a pay now/pay later thing. Pay for the insurance now or the repair later.

My biggest concern is if I bought, will I be covered for what breaks later. The list of what they cover does have plenty of exclusions. I was quoted $2700 at my dealer, I've seen people here report as low as $2300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts