Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a Fiat 500 Sport since December 12th and I've encountered my first problem today on January 10th. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. When I bought it used it had just 25,000km on it (15,500miles) and tonight on my drive home the EVIC flashed a warning that the License Plate Lamp was out and the triangular warning light with "!" remains on.

I haven't had the chance to check the light etc. itself out yet but when I've looked online here in the forum and in manuals where the light is LED it says to see an authorized FIAT dealer and I read a story or two where it cost as much as $350 to repair.

Has anyone had this happen or had problems with their rear hatch license plate light ? If so was it a cheap and/or easy solution ? Given that I am not familiar with the FIAT I thought I would ask. Changing lights on all my other vehicles was do-able but does the manual say see an authorized FIAT dealer because the part isn't a generic one or is it because it's a labor intensive project to change ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I dont even think and LED light replacement is that expensive on a Bugatti Veyron.. Solution is just buy a replacement bulb. All you need is the light bulb number and you would be able to find it online from a supplier. It is also something if you can work a screw driver and put in a bulb there is no need to have your dealer do this, just DIY.

http://www.flashtechusa.com

Check with your dealer and see how much a bulb is then send these guys an email and see if they can get you the same bulb that will fit. People are replacing their interior dome lights for about $15- 20 a bulb so there is no was the one that is the same size or smaller is going to be $350 for the exterior plate

Reactions: snhobbes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't think a bulb of any kind should be overly expensive either which is why I was concerned that they mention seeing an authorized Fiat retailer in the manual where all other light types are listed. If it is a part exclusive to Fiats that makes sense but the $350 story I read mentioned the need to replace the entire housing. Without having seen anything or being able to find anything so far on how to remove / replace the lights and without having been able to look at it myself yet (cold, snowy and blowy here in Nova Scotia tonight) I wanted to see if it is something others have encountered...thanks for the link you provided too...I will definitely keep it in mind.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Here in the U.S. that would be covered under warranty. I'm not sure in Canada. The whole piece is one unit, the LED isn't replaced separately, which is why it's so expensive. I'd certainly check with an authorized service center before doing anything else.

Reactions: snhobbes

·
Registered
515 Posts
Here in the U.S. that would be covered under warranty. I'm not sure in Canada. The whole piece is one unit, the LED isn't replaced separately, which is why it's so expensive. I'd certainly check with an authorized service center before doing anything else.
^^What he said. The entire hatch handle has to be replaced. I would definitely check with your Studio for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree that I cant see an LED bulb burning out so quickly, it might be a issue with the whole unit and should def be covered under warranty. If the bulb is just burnt out and the whole assembly needs to be replaced that is a pretty stupid design for what would just be a $5 LED replacement

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is what my concern was/is when I saw there was no replacement bulb in the manual and to see the dealer. I do plan to get it into them under the circumstances. I would assume it is warranty work too.

If I don't see or hear otherwise in the forum I may have to assume the worst until I get it looked at. If it isn't just the matter of a bulb I agree, that would be a pretty big design flaw.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
There isn't a bulb cause its LED. Its a whole LED light fixture that is the only light on the car that ISNT user replaceable cause it shouldnt need to be changed, LEDs have a very long life cycle which is why Fiat (along with most high end brands use them).

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
I this the total cost of the part? 141 bucks?

[h=3]Lamps Rear - HANDLE, Liftgate[/h]Part # 68110647AANumber On Image: 14
Category: Electrical
MSRP$141.00 Price may vary by dealer
HANDLE Liftgate

[h=3]Lamps Rear - HANDLE, Liftgate[/h]Part # 68110647AANumber On Image: 14
Category: Electrical
MSRP$141.00 Price may vary by dealer

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've owned a Fiat 500 Sport since December 12th and I've encountered my first problem today on January 10th. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. When I bought it used it had just 25,000km on it (15,500miles) and tonight on my drive home the EVIC flashed a warning that the License Plate Lamp was out and the triangular warning light with "!" remains on.

I haven't had the chance to check the light etc. itself out yet but when I've looked online here in the forum and in manuals where the light is LED it says to see an authorized FIAT dealer and I read a story or two where it cost as much as $350 to repair.

Has anyone had this happen or had problems with their rear hatch license plate light ? If so was it a cheap and/or easy solution ? Given that I am not familiar with the FIAT I thought I would ask. Changing lights on all my other vehicles was do-able but does the manual say see an authorized FIAT dealer because the part isn't a generic one or is it because it's a labor intensive project to change ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Snhobbes,

Have you had the vehicle looked at by a Fiat Studio yet? If you'd like to PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer I'd be happy to review this for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty; they replaced the entire handle assembly. The EVIC never warned me, but I happened to notice that the one of the lights was intermittent. That was the first time that I'd seen the back of the car with the license plate lights on; usually when I exit the car it's not running. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had mine replaced under warranty; they replaced the entire handle assembly. The EVIC never warned me, but I happened to notice that the one of the lights was intermittent. That was the first time that I'd seen the back of the car with the license plate lights on; usually when I exit the car it's not running. lol
I know what you mean...I was all excited one day when I got into the car and fired it up and no warning light appeared until I clued in that I didn't have the headlights turned on...sure enough...turn on the headlights for the around the car lighting and in seconds the lamp warning appears. That may be why you didn't see the warning ?

I haven't gotten mine to the studio yet for repairs (my brothers' house burned up over the weekend, everyone safe but they lost their three cats ) where I haven't had the free time to have it taken care of.

How long did it take them to do the replacement for you in hours ? Just so I have an idea....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just noticed one of my lights out as well. Bought the car used last week. 11,300 miles.
I hope it doesn't discourage you. Driving wise and performance wise for my first month of ownership, I love my Fiat 500 SPORT....sure, it's a hassle having to have something fixed so soon after buying it but fortunately it is nothing mechanical and it's all a part of the risk of buying "used" then again, these days buying any car always seems to have risks attached to it where they are mass produced.

At least Fiat seems to be more genuine in ensuring customer satisfaction. I was surprised to see reps from Fiat Canada and the U.S. offering assistance in this forum...I haven't heard of any other manufacturers doing anything like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Depending on what your Fiat dealer can tell you about warranty coverage, I'd definitely do a little investigation myself before coughing up more than a few $$ to change a single bulb. Obviously, if it's going to be covered under warranty, let them do it for you! But if not, you may want to check out a post made by forum member CSCS a while back:

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...n/6097-how-plasti-dip-chrome-trim-pieces.html

While you may not have any interest in painting over your chrome, he does a very nice job of explaining how you can remove the whole trunk handle/license light assembly. Once it's off, you may be able to determine whether you can replace the bulb directly, or if you'd have to go with an option like Smark suggested.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Depending on what your Fiat dealer can tell you about warranty coverage, I'd definitely do a little investigation myself before coughing up more than a few $$ to change a single bulb. Obviously, if it's going to be covered under warranty, let them do it for you! But if not, you may want to check out a post made by forum member CSCS a while back:

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...n/6097-how-plasti-dip-chrome-trim-pieces.html

While you may not have any interest in painting over your chrome, he does a very nice job of explaining how you can remove the whole trunk handle/license light assembly. Once it's off, you may be able to determine whether you can replace the bulb directly, or if you'd have to go with an option like Smark suggested.
The light back there is not a bulb, they are LEDs so replacing them might be kinda tough. That's why they just replace the whole lift gate handle.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The LED lights shouldn't be going out so soon at all. Nothing made by man is perfect, but seems to happen more often that it should. It should be a rare occurrence. I don't know if it is a single LED or an array. But if it is an array, if one goes out then the others should still work if it designed properly. To me, it sounds like a bad design on Fiat's part either way. If I can find the time, I will see if I can find the design and how it works. Just very curious since I work in R&D for a leading LED manufacturer.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 86 Posts