Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my plates should be here shortly and this state requires a front plate - I dont see anywhere to mount it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is no place to mount it. Just a little whoopsie by Fiat.

I think most people are ty wrapping them to the front grill. I don't like that idea much because of the restriction of air flow.

There is an after market mount that hooks up to the tow hook of a MINI. I don't know if it will work on a Fiat. I can give you the link if you want to pursue it.

I am sure Fiat will come up with some remedy if they want to continue to sell cars in California and else where

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
There is no place to mount it. Just a little whoopsie by Fiat.

I think most people are ty wrapping them to the front grill. I don't like that idea much because of the restriction of air flow.

There is an after market mount that hooks up to the tow hook of a MINI. I don't know if it will work on a Fiat. I can give you the link if you want to pursue it.

I am sure Fiat will come up with some remedy if they want to continue to sell cars in California and else where
I ran my 04 Passat for three years without a front plate here in California. I guess I was lucky. I told the dealer to NOT mount a front plate bracket. I guess they did not even have one? Well they have to catch me first. :eek::);)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I ran my 04 Passat for three years without a front plate here in California. I guess I was lucky. I told the dealer to NOT mount a front plate bracket. I guess they did not even have one? Well they have to catch me first. :eek::);)
LOL....as long as they're BEHIND you, they'll never know......:p

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
my plates should be here shortly and this state requires a front plate - I dont see anywhere to mount it!
there IS a "License Plate Kit" listed in the FIAT Parts Catalog with the Front Bumper parts. it is not illustrated however.

part number is 68078624AA and the price is $20.70. in Chryslers "DealerConnect" the description is "Bracket".

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go Without

I think I am just going to risk it and go without a front plate - can always claim it fell off!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got my tags and the dealer mounted the official license plate holder on the car. I don't have a photo, but it actually doesn't look bad. Apparently there is a metal plate behind the plastic bumper that already has threads for the bracket to attach to. This is nice because it means the bracket will be centered.

Ill post photos when I get a chance... Its a requirement in Virginia unfortunately and the fines are pretty hefty if you don't have one...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The dealer used a flush plastic bracket. It's a nice clean fit.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The bracket came with my car (a lowly Pop), it was provided but not attached. They asked me if I wanted it attached. With tears in my eyes, I said yes. Maryland is a mandatory two-plate state. But Azzuro is right, it doesn't look bad at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got one with my car...in quebec we don't need them in the front...if anyone would like it contact me and we could work something out

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE: Azzurro's Post

Thanks for your post and the photo. I just got my Fiat 500 today and live in Los Angeles so I am seeking a front license mount solution. At this point, no holes have been drilled into my bumper. Can you please tell me if the "flush plastic bracket" that your dealer used was the official bracket provided by Fiat or some after-market product? If it's the latter, do you know what they used? I can't really tell from the photo if it's metal bracket with plastic front or one of the all plastic types. Any info/advice you could provide would be much appreciated! Thanks....

·
Registered
700 Posts
in california the dealers have to provide this on all new cars sold contact your dealer for the bracket this is no cost to you

RE: Azzurro's Post

Thanks for your post and the photo. I just got my Fiat 500 today and live in Los Angeles so I am seeking a front license mount solution. At this point, no holes have been drilled into my bumper. Can you please tell me if the "flush plastic bracket" that your dealer used was the official bracket provided by Fiat or some after-market product? If it's the latter, do you know what they used? I can't really tell from the photo if it's metal bracket with plastic front or one of the all plastic types. Any info/advice you could provide would be much appreciated! Thanks....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up the plates for our 500. And Texas requires a front plate.

I don't want to drill holes and would like the plate lower. I am going to the Vick AutoSports open house next Saturday and will see if Jerry can come up with a front mount similar to the Mini idea. If he can, hopefully VAS can make it available!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some states, like Oregon, require a front plate. Many customers don't want to have holes drilled in the bumper, so the dealer is leavng the bracket off the car unless the customer request it be mounted. There is a stack of unused brackets!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what our front plate bracket looks like in Ohio, and what Ryan has on his car. We put this on every car because Ohio is a 2-plate state, unless the customer wishes to not have it. When I get my Abarth, I'll be figuring out some creative way to mount my front plate without having this bracket installed, but it doesn't look awful.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Just picked up the plates for our 500. And Texas requires a front plate.

I don't want to drill holes and would like the plate lower. I am going to the Vick AutoSports open house next Saturday and will see if Jerry can come up with a front mount similar to the Mini idea. If he can, hopefully VAS can make it available!
Wow your in Keller, i work in Southlake and live in Bedford, your so close, what is this Vicks AutoSports i haven't heard of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well my PE did not come with one ... when I got the car Apr 30, they were not yet available in VA. I did not worry about it since there has never been a front tag on my 1994 Miata (I've had it 3 years). Well, got pulled Sat. on I295 in Pr Geo co, and state cop gave me a ticket (guess I was driving too slow --> 62 in a 70 as I was also hauling 3 bikes on back). Do they have to drill the front bumper to mount the front tag?

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Well my PE did not come with one ... when I got the car Apr 30, they were not yet available in VA. I did not worry about it since there has never been a front tag on my 1994 Miata (I've had it 3 years). Well, got pulled Sat. on I295 in Pr Geo co, and state cop gave me a ticket (guess I was driving too slow --> 62 in a 70 as I was also hauling 3 bikes on back). Do they have to drill the front bumper to mount the front tag?

Normally holes are drilled but as shown above there are alternatives that can allow for other choices for mounting. Tags on a Miata is a sin so I understand why not to mount one. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts