Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
OEM 500e wheels are 15x5.5 on the front and 15x6.5 on the rear. Does it change anything substantial to have a wider wheel on the front, matched to the rear tires?
No.

I put 7" wheels all-around & it seems to have slightly less understeer.

A friend bought a used 500e from a dealer, with stock wheels rotated front-to-back (bigger on front) & even that was fine!

For the TPMS sensors, is there anything special that you'd have to do to make it work with the any of these wheels?
No.

My local America's Tire mounted/balanced new tires/tpms from them on rims I got from good-win-racing.

One tpms sensor had to be wirelessly reprogrammed when it failed to read right after a few miles, but that seemed like a rare anomaly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed that for all the Fiat 500e recommendations, a 15x6.5 wheel is listed. I know that the OEM 500e wheels are 15x5.5 on the front and 15x6.5 on the rear. Does it change anything substantial to have a wider wheel on the front, matched to the rear tires? If nothing else, it sounds like it's easier to rotate tires with matching wheel sizes.

For the TPMS sensors, is there anything special that you'd have to do to make it work with the any of these wheels? Is this something that the tire shop that mounts and balances the tires would do?
Funny thing, the 2018 Audi RS3 actually has wider wheels and tires in the front than the back from the factory

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone running a 15x8?
Im wondering what would the best offset would be since Stock on the abarths are 17x7.5 +35 (im currently running 215/40/r17 size tires)
Im estimating that 15x8 +20 or +25 (depending on tire size of course, probably 205/50r15)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
Does anyone know of any of these in stock 15” sizes on 500e impacts negatively on range even if it’s lighter then stock? I’m just worried if the aero plays a bigger part and ruins range I drive mostly highway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know this thread seems to be about performance/looks, but I have another option in the works. I just picked up a super clean 2017 500E with 7500 miles over the weekend. So clean, like never seen rain immaculate undercarriage, but I bought it for a daily driver so I am a bit torn between function or form.

If I were to go style/performance 15x7 Advanti Storm with Toyo T1R would be my choice.

A happy medium of style and possibly increased or no loss in range would be 15x6.5 Helium with these 15lb 175/55 Low rolling resistance Contis https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=755TR5EC&tab=Specs

I bought this car to commute 60miles roundtrip, which could be cutting it close at times, especially in winter. So in hopes of eliminating range anxiety I am leaning towards function over form. After some research on hypermiling forums, I came to the conclusion 14x4 Honda Insight spare wheels with low rolling resistance 165/65/14 Potenza RE92 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5SR4RE92&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

are the ultimate hypermiler combo, coming in at around 20lbs for wheel/tire according to research. Now I just have to see if it fits. I won this auction today and will test fit as soon as it comes, then report back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-honda-i...HVeO3XtyGk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Not only is it super light, it's also very aerodynamic. If it fits I will work on finding 3 more and order the Potenzas once my stock tires wear down.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
If it’s not gonna improve its looks any why not just stay stock it cost no money and already optimized for aero

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it’s not gonna improve its looks any why not just stay stock it cost no money and already optimized for aero
Yeah I was going to wait until I burn through the stock Firestones, before making the switch. Gives me time to track down 3 more wheels, if they fit. I would eventually dip them anthracite with a little glossifier to cover up the yellow.
48lbs of unsprung weight removed and skinny LRR tires might be good for an extra 5-10 miles of range? I like to tinker and experiment, usually adding HP and performance to my cars, but that is not why I bought this. So it will be a fun little experiment. If it doesn't pan out, then I can always sell the wheels/tires and get most of my money back.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes but when you go that route it’s not fun handling and traction becomes a issue with all the torque this puts out the stock 185 already struggles for dear life to keep the rubber intact. I’d rather tune the car to my range needs if stock allows more then enough then do some fun mods to your liking even if you lose a little range it just puts smile on your face. You can always counter some of the loss with add ons like aero stuff like diffuser and under covers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My plan is to repurpose my almost new 185/55R15 Toyo T1R onto some 15x7 10.8lb light weight wheels. While they may not be as aerodynamic I’m hoping the lighter weight makes it a draw on range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Test fitted the the 8lb Honda Insight 14x4 and it did not clear the front brakes. :(

Could be a good option if someone wanted a compact spare, but can only be used on the rear for 500e.

So I think I'm going to go with the same staggered setup I ran on my k20 Civic. 15x6.5 Heliums up front with 15x3.5 Traklites in the rear. On the Civic I ran 205/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET streets up front with 145/65/15 LRR EcoConti in back. I dropped 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile and picked up around 3 mpg when I put the skinnies on the rear. Drove this setup on the street and even one time attack(drag radials were toast afterwards). Handling and braking were not that bad, other than a little bit of oversteer.

With the 500e I want to run a little taller/narrow setup to kill some of that wheel gap. 14lb 24" 175/15/15 Vredestein up front https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=765HR5QT5&tab=Specs

12lb 24" 135R15 Nankang in rear

This should net a total weight savings of 46lbs, decrease rolling resistance and increase acceleration/range.

I only have 8000 miles on the stock Firestones, so it may not be until the end of the year when I pull the trigger on this new setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to order from 18racing, then I saw they had a cheaper price on Amazon. When I called, the lady said she could do the Amazon price for me. The site you listed was cheaper still...
I ended up finding this set new-in-the-box off OfferUp. A local had bought 2 sets and never used this one.

My car is celeste blu, and I'm going to be painting the Rotas white. It'll be fun to weigh them after to see the difference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Why do the wobble bolts gotta be so ugly? I wound up buying some black bolt covers for $5 on eBay to cover the eyesore. On the brighter note I got my spare set of TPMS, hub centric rings and the wobble bolts, now to chose a wheel... decisions decisions...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same thought after buying the wobble bolts, lol. I ended up returning them after finding 4x98 Rotas (pic on scale above). Those bolt covers are a good idea. I remember when VWs came with them stock - people would complain that their 'lug wrench wouldn't fit', not knowing they had caps...

Who did you go through for TPMS?
There's a huge price range, and they all do the same thing... I'm debating to steal the ones out of the factory wheels instead of buying new ones.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had the same thought after buying the wobble bolts, lol. I ended up returning them after finding 4x98 Rotas (pic on scale above). Those bolt covers are a good idea. I remember when VWs came with them stock - people would complain that their 'lug wrench wouldn't fit', not knowing they had caps...

Who did you go through for TPMS?
There's a huge price range, and they all do the same thing... I'm debating to steal the ones out of the factory wheels instead of buying new ones.
I used a seller named steeler2666 on eBay I paid $30 for all 4 they appear new and have factory part# stamped on the bottom along with new stems and ID#s I decided against stealing my oem ones simply because the schrader valves stems are one time use items you’ll have to go out and buy new stems at Fiat or Dodge dealership anyway at $8-9 each why bother, just get new units for $30 for all 4.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I forgot how ridiculous the wheel gap was before lowering. I don’t know if it’s exaggerated by aftermarket wheels but that fender to wheel gap looks almost as atrocious as those wheelchair accessible vans.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts