Fiat 500 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I forgot how ridiculous the wheel gap was before lowering. I don’t know if it’s exaggerated by aftermarket wheels but that fender to wheel gap looks almost as atrocious as those wheelchair accessible vans.
It is terrible. I just don't know if I could go a full 2"+ with Madness springs. Would prefer maybe a 1" -1.5" drop. 2" looks great, but I need a little clearance on my steep gravel driveway.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
It is terrible. I just don't know if I could go a full 2"+ with Madness springs. Would prefer maybe a 1" -1.5" drop. 2" looks great, but I need a little clearance on my steep gravel driveway.
Sounds like in your situation you’re probably better off buying coil overs for an abarth and a rear custom spring to accommodate the heavier rear end. I was thinking of that for my Fiat as Coilovers give you that adjustment you desire.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
Wow expensive for a small tire, Achilles makes a tire in that size that gives great performance for cheap.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’d go with these, I have the version 2 ATR Sport 2 on my VW wagon and they are great tires very quiet and corners as good as the Max performance sumitomo htrZ3 I had before it. The tire in this size is 16.1lbs a bit more then the other but I’d trade a pound for a better performance and handling if you value it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I forgot how ridiculous the wheel gap was before lowering. I don’t know if it’s exaggerated by aftermarket wheels but that fender to wheel gap looks almost as atrocious as those wheelchair accessible vans.
Absolutely! I'm currently on Abarth front/ cut rears and it still looks a little high. I'll install the wheels and spacers and post pics. I can always swap the springs for the madness springs later.
I'm just waiting for this heatwave to pass so I can finish destroying (sanding) the surface of these brand new wheels! lol :oops:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Absolutely! I'm currently on Abarth front/ cut rears and it still looks a little high. I'll install the wheels and spacers and post pics. I can always swap the springs for the madness springs later.
I'm just waiting for this heatwave to pass so I can finish destroying (sanding) the surface of these brand new wheels! lol :oops:
Are you planning on painting them a different color? Or are you going for a patina look lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They’ll be white. Single stage, 2k paint. The car is Celesteblu- it’ll be going for a boy racer look. Back in the early 2000s VW had a race series for the Lupo Cup cars, and this color/ car reminds me of that.

I did some basic calcs, and looked at ‘will they fit’... I’ve got H&R 15mm rear spacers for now, the front may need very little. The Rotas are 7”wide, 35et - which is also why they don’t look good in that pic above. I’ll be at a 20et with the spacer which should fill the wheel well better.

The next hurdle will be tires. I want dedicated ev tires with noise control and low rolling resistance. I have a ‘go fast around corners’ car already, this car needs to just embrace its ‘EV-ness’. 🤘

·
Registered
719 Posts
They’ll be white. Single stage, 2k paint. The car is Celesteblu- it’ll be going for a boy racer look. Back in the early 2000s VW had a race series for the Lupo Cup cars, and this color/ car reminds me of that.

I did some basic calcs, and looked at ‘will they fit’... I’ve got H&R 15mm rear spacers for now, the front may need very little. The Rotas are 7”wide, 35et - which is also why they don’t look good in that pic above. I’ll be at a 20et with the spacer which should fill the wheel well better.

The next hurdle will be tires. I want dedicated ev tires with noise control and low rolling resistance. I have a ‘go fast around corners’ car already, this car needs to just embrace its ‘EV-ness’. 🤘
Except there is nothing all that EV-Ness about this car aside from the powertrain, its a gasser gutted to make way for a electric powertrain. Its basically a Kaitlin Jenner of the automobile world lol. I dont know if there is a dedicated EV tires, I know there are LRR tires but not specifically for EV usage just general usage economy car tires. I generally stay away from LRR tires as they are hard as rocks rubber and lackluster handling, i can achieve similar results with a regular tire with slightly higher air pressures, kind of like my Toyo T1R i am running now, handles great with them and at 40psi i still achieve a great 5.0-5.4mi/kw with conventional high performance tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I meant that I want to focus mods for this car that won't affect range, if possible. I could have thrown on my Enkei RPF1 and sticky Hankooks off my Miata, but I'll never bring this car to the track.

I've been reading about LRR tires, and some factory tires (Smart Car?) that have a layer of sound deadning inside specifically for quieter evs. This is what I'm interested in for this car. Quiet ride, long range, touring tire - but in a small 16" size. Maybe the sound deadning is marketing hype- I'm not sure yet.

I love running great tires on my cars, and have never had an interest in running some Westlake or some other off brand tires. Which brands have you had good luck with?
I've never owned a set of LRR's, I just imagine them to be street tires with some factory slide - like a FRS/ BRZ or factory Miata.

I was planning a very skinny 185/50/16 or 195/45/16 on these skinny wheels. 205's will sidewall bulge on 7" wheels.

Right now, Continental ProContact TX is 185/50/16 is looking like a front runner. Thoughts?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I meant that I want to focus mods for this car that won't affect range, if possible. I could have thrown on my Enkei RPF1 and sticky Hankooks off my Miata, but I'll never bring this car to the track.

I've been reading about LRR tires, and some factory tires (Smart Car?) that have a layer of sound deadning inside specifically for quieter evs. This is what I'm interested in for this car. Quiet ride, long range, touring tire - but in a small 16" size. Maybe the sound deadning is marketing hype- I'm not sure yet.

I love running great tires on my cars, and have never had an interest in running some Westlake or some other off brand tires. Which brands have you had good luck with?
I've never owned a set of LRR's, I just imagine them to be street tires with some factory slide - like a FRS/ BRZ or factory Miata.

I was planning a very skinny 185/50/16 or 195/45/16 on these skinny wheels. 205's will sidewall bulge on 7" wheels.

Right now, Continental ProContact TX is 185/50/16 is looking like a front runner. Thoughts?
My previous Honda Fit came with some Dunlop LRR Enasave? or something, my MK7 Golf came with Ecopias and they were god awful. Its not even a slide, its more of a horrendous understeer, and when wet days its a slip n slide. The scary part of LRR is if you ever had to emergency brake you'll need a few more ft to stop in time vs a comparable normal tire. Im not willing to sacrifice that much safety or performance for a couple of theoretical miles of range.

Ive also wondered if having a stretched tire has any aero advantages? Not extreme stretch but like a 185 55 15 on a 7" wide wheel. You can tell even on the 6.5" wide wheel there is a slight stretch on my T1R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good points. Noted! Having not owned LRRs, I can only lean on other's experiences. (maybe the factory Firehawks are LRR?)

I had some fun hooning a stock BRZ once, and the skinny, hard, LRR tires were pretty fun on that thing, but I can imagine it being hot garbage on a FWD, battery laden machine.

I still think I want touring tires vs summer performance tires, but I'll probably lower my LRR requirement now.

I make a regular 80 mile trip from Temecula to Huntington Beach. I'd like to be able to take this car with a little headroom on the mileage. There's a couple plugs in HB I can hit and let it charge before the ride home. That's why I'm not so eager to lose any more miles than I can currently eek out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ordered some Konig Heliums, but I am sending them back today. I found these pics of a car with them on and the rear offset just doesn't look good. Too far sunk in. Once I get my Amazon credit, I will probably go with the 16x7 Rota F500. The wider wheel and lower offset just look better, but may not be good for range. Plus no wobble bolts or hub rings to worry about. Just need to decide on 195/45R16 or 195/50r16. The 45's will probably look better and are lighter, but the 50's will give a little extra cushion plus ride height clearance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Probably wouldnt look as goofy if it was lowered. All 500e ive seen with aftermarket wheels on stock springs just look gross to me regardless of offsets lol.
I got a set of Advanti Storms for me, waiting to transfer the tire and drill the holes larger for the wobble bolts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Probably wouldnt look as goofy if it was lowered. All 500e ive seen with aftermarket wheels on stock springs just look gross to me regardless of offsets lol.
I got a set of Advanti Storms for me, waiting to transfer the tire and drill the holes larger for the wobble bolts. View attachment 109175 View attachment 109176 View attachment 109177
Nice! Look like the same weight as the Helium.
Just going with stock tire size?

I'm working on a mild drop to kill some of that gap.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice! Look like the same weight as the Helium.
Just going with stock tire size?

I'm working on a mild drop to kill some of that gap.
The helium is actually a little heavier despite being half an inch narrower if I recall correctly the helium is 11.4 pounds. This is partly because the helium is not DST technology it’s just gravity cast. I am staying with the stock tires for now for two reasons one that saves me money and secondly I can compare apples to apples as far as range if there is any difference between lighter wheels vs aero efficiency difference between stock.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bought a new craftsman impact and drill set to drill for lug holes to 14.34mm to use wobble bolts, at this point I’m unsure if I should drill from front of the wheel or back, any suggestions for those who’ve done this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're redrilling the bolt pattern? I wouldn't dream of doing that without a mill or at least drill press. What's the plan for the lug seats? This sounds like a bad idea.

edit Wait, are you just opening the bolt holes slightly larger? I'd go very slow with cutting fluid from the backside. Chamfer the edges when you're done.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You're redrilling the bolt pattern? I wouldn't dream of doing that without a mill or at least drill press. What's the plan for the lug seats? This sounds like a bad idea.

edit Wait, are you just opening the bolt holes slightly larger? I'd go very slow with cutting fluid from the backside. Champfer the edges when you're done.
Just opening the hole up a bit note, usually most wheels are 14.56mm holes these are 12.87 which makes the use of wobble bolts difficult if not impossible without it going sideways.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts