Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so I got the Konig Heliums mounted with the wobble bolts & hubcentric rings.

I did a pre and post 0-50mph run to test for differences between the two setups (OEM vs 10lb lighter setup)... I got 6.0 stock and 5.5 with the Konig Heliums. =)
That is Emazing!!! (pun intended) That's 8.33% better acceleration by losing only 1.34% of vehicle weight, & you can do it for just over $700 in parts!!!

It should also improve range, at least in the city, so maybe you can check & reset one of you trip guages, & after a while you can give us a "before & after" number for that too. If you set the units to MPGe instead of mi/kWh, you get more precise numbers. Did you max out the tire pressures for the above-spec load, & low rolling resistance?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I already took them off. The tires are just too small visually. Plus my driveway is steep and really don't want to go any lower. I'm leaning towards the Storm if anything, and I'll drill them out...no biggie. And I'd prob get the 185/60/15 Kuhmo Sense. They're cheap, light. And it would have the added benefit with the speedo error of giving me an additional free 1k miles or so on my lease with the speedo error!

But, before I buy any more wheels, I'll need to sell a set. Got too many sitting around in the garage!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I already took them off. The tires are just too small visually.

I think it would've looked great it you dumped your car...the stock fenderwell gap is offensive on these cars LOL
Same size as the minilite replicas that I still wish I would've gotten...

(pic is from 500madness)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
... The tires are just too small visually. Plus my driveway is steep and really don't want to go any lower. I'm leaning towards the Storm if anything, and I'll drill them out...no biggie. And I'd prob get the 185/60/15 Kuhmo Sense. They're cheap, light...
Storm width is 7", which is too wide for that Kumho's 6.5" max rim spec, but if you put them on the 6.5" Heliums, they'd be the same 7.8" overall width as the stock rears & 0.4" wider than the stock fronts, & as you pointed out, slightly larger diameter too. That gives you a 1Lb lighter tire on a 0.5Lb heavier rim*, compared to the lightest tire that fits on a Storm, & much better from a rotation-weight perspective.

However, Heliums are only lighter if you choose one of the only 3 currently available 15Lb tires. If not, then you end up at least 1/2 pound heavier than Storms.

*depending on color! GoodwinRacing says: "The black and grey colors often weigh in just over 10 pounds"

The next step is to try to find out if SUPER-light 9.8Lb Enkei RPF1 15x7 wheels will fit over 11" brakes (500E, Turbo & Abarth**), so I'm starting a new thread for that.

**That would still require rear swaybar work: filing, or removing & replacing with after-market bar.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was half serious at first, but then I realized Heliums are only lighter if you choose one of the only 3 currently available 15Lb tires. If not, then you end up at least 1/2 pound heavier than Storms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
now what

So my plan is to order the hankook tires and the heliums, I dig but didn't find the thread explaining how to properly lower our Emazing cars to a respectable wheel gap, this is 1990 gap man!

·
Registered
734 Posts
So my plan is to order the hankook tires and the heliums, I dig but didn't find the thread explaining how to properly lower our Emazing cars to a respectable wheel gap, this is 1990 gap man!

madness 500e lowering springs (pick low or lower)
koni shocks
Energy shorter rear bumpstops

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
madness 500e lowering springs (pick low or lower)
koni shocks
Energy shorter rear bumpstops
Do you have any personal experience with these? If so, maybe we should start a new thread.

The springs & shocks show at this link, but I only see one set (no lowness choice). The one review mentions bounciness, quite likely because stiffer springs require stiffer dampers, maybe like the Konis shown here?:
http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=412_442_444

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tires are most likely 205 50 15

That's what I have on my 500 with Storm 15 x 7 wheels.

215 I think are too wide to clear the cars' parts.
195 will, & also fit the wheels.
185 I think won't fit on 7" wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So According to this thread, if i want to get the Avanti Storm S1 in 15 inch, i need to drill out the lug holes by 0.0018, shave down a few mm on the rear torsion bar mount, and make sure the counter weights are closer to the outside edge of the wheel.

Anyone have information on the Avanti Storm S1 in 16 inch? do those have to be drilled out as well?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tires are most likely 205 50 15

That's what I have on my 500 with Storm 15 x 7 wheels.

215 I think are too wide to clear the cars' parts.
195 will, & also fit the wheels.
185 I think won't fit on 7" wheels.

Anyone running a 15x8?
Im wondering what would the best offset would be since Stock on the abarths are 17x7.5 +35 (im currently running 215/40/r17 size tires)
Im estimating that 15x8 +20, +25, or +30 (depending on tire size of course, probably 205/50r15)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never mind, Found the info i was looking for on the Advanti Storms

Has anyone tried the Konig Dial Ins?
I too am interested to know if any has tried the 15x7 35mm offset Konig Dial In.

Goodwin Racing's page for the Konig Heliums say that the Heliums will not clear their big brakes kit.

Goodwin Racing's page for the Konig Dial Ins say that the Dial Ins will clear their big brakes kit.

This implies that the Dial Ins have bigger inner diameter/dimension than the Heliums. But has anyone confirmed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too am interested to know if any has tried the 15x7 35mm offset Konig Dial In.

Goodwin Racing's page for the Konig Heliums say that the Heliums will not clear their big brakes kit.

Goodwin Racing's page for the Konig Dial Ins say that the Dial Ins will clear their big brakes kit.

This implies that the Dial Ins have bigger inner diameter/dimension than the Heliums. But has anyone confirmed?
Goodwin has a big brake kit for the 500 Abarth?!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts