Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds crazy, but I have done this three times in the last 2 days. And this was confirmed by another Fiat owner.

1. Drive the car, park it, turn off the engine
2. Get out of the car and close the driver side door.
3. Go to the passenger side door - Not sure if getting to the door has to be done slowly - like 5 seconds
4. Open the passenger side door - not sure if the door has to remain open for a few seconds
5. With the passenger side door still open, press the lock door key fob button (middle one) twice quickly - Seems like it takes 2 not 1
6. Close the passenger side door - You should hear.... NO BEEP!
7. Test the passenger side door and it should be locked. Also, check the driver side door and should be locked too.

Note: I have a Pop cabrio, so not sure if this is model specific. I have noticed the behavior lately because I am keeping my computer bag on the passenger's side, vs in the trunk. With snow dirtied streets, the back hatch is pretty messy. Today, I tried to watch closely on the steps I was taking.

Can anyone else try this on your Fiat? What did you find? Any improvements you found in the steps?

Ciao

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
push all three buttons on the instrument cluster housing, press volume down on the CD player, and then turn the key to ON but don't start the car.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I personally don't mind the beep but IF I did before I went and did all that "rain man action" I'd just shut the door and stick the key in the lock and twist. Seems a bit like an OCD sufferer, if you feel the need though go for it, not being a jerk, just sounds like a lot more work than needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally don't mind the beep but IF I did before I went and did all that "rain man action" I'd just shut the door and stick the key in the lock and twist.Seems a bit like an OCD sufferer, if you feel the need though go for it, not being a jerk, just sounds like a lot more work than needed.
Tweak! I thought I was being helpful. There have been a some threads on the Beep issue. Like this. And this.

In fact, I looked more closely and saw this post from some guy named Tweak ...

Originally Posted by Fadelight

The beeping is unacceptable as I work nights and I come and go at really odd times. A beeping horn in a quiet but crowded neighborhood will get my new car egged in no time.

Tweak replies:

The horn issue has been mentioned many times and thus far no one has any solution to offer, perhaps you can use the key during late hours instead? I know it isn't the answer you are wanting but it is the only one at this time that will certainly work and if you truly feel your car will be damaged in any way I think one worth utilizing until a solution, if there ever is one is made available.

I too have a night time issue. The dogs start barking if they hear a beep at night and it wakes the kids. I gotta admit, I never thought of trying the old fashioned way of just using the key in the door handle. Figured it would beep just like using the fob but your suggestion works like a charm and saves a few steps. So thanks Tweak.

​Ciao

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Tweak! I thought I was being helpful. There have been a some threads on the Beep issue. Like this. And this. In fact, I looked more closely and saw this post from some guy named Tweak ...
Originally Posted by Fadelight
The beeping is unacceptable as I work nights and I come and go at really odd times. A beeping horn in a quiet but crowded neighborhood will get my new car egged in no time.
Tweak replies: The horn issue has been mentioned many times and thus far no one has any solution to offer, perhaps you can use the key during late hours instead? I know it isn't the answer you are wanting but it is the only one at this time that will certainly work and if you truly feel your car will be damaged in any way I think one worth utilizing until a solution, if there ever is one is made available. I too have a night time issue. The dogs start barking if they hear a beep at night and it wakes the kids. I gotta admit, I never thought of trying the old fashioned way of just using the key in the door handle. Figured it would beep just like using the fob but your suggestion works like a charm and saves a few steps. So thanks Tweak. ​Ciao
My apologies if I came off to make you feel you weren't helping...puzzled how you came up with that sequence really, just seemed kinda crazy when I pictured it in my head, figured neighbors are looking out their windows thinking you lost your mind walking around the car opening and closing and pausing...hehe, sorry if it came across wrong. I LOVE that you or ANYONE helps in any way, just figured the simplest solution is ideal. Maybe Fiat will do something with the newer models if enough people complain but I doubt it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With my Pop AT (made in March), there is no horn beep when locking the door(s). There is only the sound of the doors locking and, of course, the lights flashing. LOL, maybe there's something wrong with it! It has never beeped.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
With my Pop AT (made in March), there is no horn beep when locking the door(s). There is only the sound of the doors locking and, of course, the lights flashing. LOL, maybe there's something wrong with it! It has never beeped.
I think that is because of the model you have, I recall some mention that not all have the same security setup, perhaps it is only Lounge and Sport models, I know all the Sport models should beep though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This post is old, but I'm relatively new and I want to help.

1. Exit the vehicle as you normally would.
2. Close all doors including the lift gate.
3. Press the open button on your key fob.
4. Press the lock button and "presto", no confirmation chirp, beep, or anything else.

Problem solved. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
OK, I just tried it. It's not a reprogram, just a way to make it silent, from either driver or passenger door.
Turn off the car, and before you close the door hit the lock button twice, then close the door. No beep.

Cool!

We should sticky an easter egg thread to collect all the different things the car does outside of the owners manual...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
OK, I just tried it. It's not a reprogram, just a way to make it silent, from either driver or passenger door.
Turn off the car, and before you close the door hit the lock button twice, then close the door. No beep.

Cool!

We should sticky an easter egg thread to collect all the different things the car does outside of the owners manual...
That is what you'll find here Rob. ;)

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...ngs-about-fiat-you-didnt-know-but-now-do.html

And I am hosting a compilation of this thread in .PDF form here as well...both "stuck"

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...sion-forum/47562-tips-tricks-you-members.html

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Never saw it.... sorry I recant my suggestion

·
Registered
12 Posts
This post is old, but I'm relatively new and I want to help.

1. Exit the vehicle as you normally would.
2. Close all doors including the lift gate.
3. Press the open button on your key fob.
4. Press the lock button and "presto", no confirmation chirp, beep, or anything else.

Problem solved. Thank you very much.
I tried this yesterday, and sadly it did not work for me.
Still chirping!

·
Registered
552 Posts
It works on all three of our Fiats. One is 2013 500 Sport, one is 2013 Abarth and the other is 2014 500L. You carefully followed the sequence? Close doors, hit fob "open" button and then hit fob "close" button?

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is one more way to lock without a chirp. Manually lock doors. The passenger door from the drivers side lean over slide lever over locking at lever, then do the same on drivers side while holding the outside door handle up. All done without remote. I learned this while working at dealership and did not want to go searching for a key.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts