Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I want to install a short shifter in my 2013 500 Pop. I had decided on the one from TWM Performance, and had actually gone to the website to place the order. Then things got sort of weird. After I put the item in my shopping cart, and entered my shipping info, the website indicated that they couln't process credit cards, and gave a number to call.
I started doing some research, and it looks like A LOT pf people are complaining about being ripped off by TWM right now. So - Forget ordering from them.

What I'm trying to find out, is THE shifter that is sold by TWM, sold by anyone else that you guys have seen?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note, Map. One reason I liked the idea of the TWM Performance shifter is that it replaces the entire shifting assembly, and looks like it would eliminate alot of the sloppiness in the current (50k miles) shifter. Not sure if the Neuspeed adapter would do that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes, the adapter is mostly to shorten throw length, but side to side is the same.

Madness sells a good short shifter, and a lot of Abarth guys have gone with the Cravenspeed shifter. They don't replace the entire mechanism but work well... affordable and easy to install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went with the CravenSpeed.
So, Back in June when I bought this 500, it was supposed to be my second car - just for driving back and forth to work, and to the beach sometimes.

I said I wasn't going to modify it. Nope, not at all, didn't need to, wouldn't be prudent.

SO....I ordered the Cravenspeed short shifter yesterday, an intake the day before...and now - I just got off the phone with Eric (of 500Madness) and he sold me a set of vogtland coilovers! W T Friggin F ??

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am pleased with my CravenSpeed short shifter and knob. Over 65k miles and I still love the 2nd to 3rd short throw at 6500 rpms.
My knob is stainless steel, so gloves are required when extremely cold or extremely hot. Sometimes, I put the glove over the knob and let my hand glove-free.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the review John. Mine came in the mail a couple days ago (Why did I think the box was going to be bigger!?), and I'm going to do the install this AM. Will let you guyus know how it goes!

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, yesterday AM, I installed the CravenSpeed short shifter. Wasn't difficult at all, (partly thanks to the fact that none of the plastic tabs broke off of ANYTHING in the console when I was removing the cover!).

The Cravenspeed parts seem to be of good quality...all metal/stainless/aluminum. Also, I ordered the shifter WITH the CS knob, and the knob is nice as well. Very weighty and well-machined.

I ran out of time after installing the shifter, and had other things to do - which didn't include going anywhere...so I didn't test it out yet! Will likely do that today, and will add on my impressions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've driven the 500 for a couple days now with the new CravenSpeed short shifter, and I have to say, I like it a lot. The shifts are definately crisper and cleaner. And although I never had to really hunt for 5th gear, it always felt sloppy.
Even 5th gear is a nice tight shift now. I like the extra weight of the big steel CS shifter as well. I think that helps the overall feel. Glad I did this one.

One thing...the instructions provided on the website were ok, but not great. I think that someone without a decent amount of experience around mechanicals may have had more trouble than necessary. (and yes, I'm going to let CravenSpeed know my thoughts as well)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts