Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks guys. Carmen is one big 6'3" / 300 lb Italian dude and today all he was frustrated that he cannot fit into the car. He's fine for headroom even with a sunroof but it's the legroom that kills the deal. He recently bought a house that is 60 miles away from his job, so he's looking for a good gas-sippin' runabout just like I was.

Fiat Day Two was spent with a clay bar followed by Pinnacle Souveran. Tweak, I really like this color. Everything else in my driveway is black and I couldn't handle the overhead of another black car. I love both white and silver but I wanted more depth to the paint than either allows and the Grigio was a no-brainer choice. I have begun to adore this car, and while I've always been a fan of the look I have become a big fan of its highway ride and the way you can keep speed through the corners when getting aggressive on a back road. I haven't felt comfortable laying into the pedal too much since I'm generally taking it easy accelerating. I'm waiting until 600 miles to start going WOT over 5500 RPM, but the snappy road character of the 500 is still shining through.

I originally thought the TomTom was too obstructive to use while driving, but for me the solution was to drive with it mounted for a while and before long I no longer noticed it. Given its critical display aspects in order to effectively interface with my phone it makes things so much easier that I can drive with it on the dash after all.

Today's pics, the last for a while, some are super redundant but this was my delivery weekend and I shot with abandon. I hope everyone else had a great weekend as well!

First me driving with this year's Halloween mask:

The rest. The site settings have it so I can only link 25 images per post in order, I assume (and understandably so) to reduce server load, so the next few replies will be me and my final delivery weekend pics:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Judging by the amount of pictures you posted, you have a healthy obsession,lol.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My phone loaded the first 100 pics, then caught fire. Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just got out of a black car as well, tornado helped that though...silver I love but other factors beyond my control also destroyed that option, now you just need to get some mods on a wish-list!
I plan to fight that bug for as long as I can. I don't want to give the dealer any reason to kill my warranty and from the impression I got they aren't particularly modification friendly. The first on my list was a set of coilovers but after 225 miles of driving I don't think I want to touch the ride. It gets a bit bouncy depending upon the road, but I love the stock highway feel and overall handling including turn-in and braking on back roads are already responsive enough for me to not need anything upgraded. Would I like less wheel gap? Sure, of course, but the aesthetic draw isn't enough to wrangle about $1000 out of me once bought, installed and aligned.

I've gone the whole modified-to-over-modified route before and already have a car that's more custom than any amount of stock parts left on it, and I fear starting down that path with the Fiat. Not when it's already everything I need already.

I fully expect this resolve to last at least through the winter. lol

Judging by the amount of pictures you posted, you have a healthy obsession,lol.
My phone loaded the first 100 pics, then caught fire. Thanks!
No problem man! Always glad to help ID a hardware issue. In all seriousness though I'll go back and weed out the redundant photos tonight. The more I look at the idiotic volume of photos I posted the more ridiculous it seems, and I didn't take into account mobile devices when creating those posts.

:D

Ugh I really want a Panda. So awesome.

Love your photos, by the way, and welcome
The Panda was cool. It didn't have much of the extreme style of the 500, and it was not as fast as the 500 as it struggled over 70 mph where my 500 seems to charge to 90 and like to sit there despite my intentions to keep the speed down, but the Panda was still a nice, small, versatile little car.

Thanks for the welcome kitkatherine, I appreciate the good press. :cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
...I'm taking it down to the SC home for Christmas so we'll see how I feel in after 10+ hours in the car...
Our first drive in Blue Bella was around 769 miles and around 13 hours - we drove straight through excepting stops for fuel and food and one over 30 mile side trip to rescue some folks who ran out of gas. So much for the break-in period! ;) We were completely comfortable - no aches or pains upon arriving home and the car was an absolute champ. Here's hoping your trip is as comfortable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Our first drive in Blue Bella was around 769 miles and around 13 hours - we drove straight through excepting stops for fuel and food and one over 30 mile side trip to rescue some folks who ran out of gas. So much for the break-in period! ;) We were completely comfortable - no aches or pains upon arriving home and the car was an absolute champ. Here's hoping your trip is as comfortable.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the drive this holiday season. There's really nothing like a good road trip to acquaint oneself with a new automobile although I'm already feeling pretty comfortable in the 500. I'm hoping for great gas mileage...

Did you just use the word flense?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have enjoyed putting about 550 miles on the car but haven't really driven it anywhere for the past week. Last weekend's storm hit our part of Connecticut pretty hard. The trees had not shed their leaves before a substantial snow fall and the weight burden took a lot of them out. I live at the foot of a state park, and around midnight on Saturday the cracking sounds that came from the forest as branches and even trunks broke was surreal.

I love the way the 500 rides and despite some body roll it is a very confident handler. Now that I've been getting on it a bit I've been pleasantly surprised by the way it can accelerate to highway speeds, although mileage suffers horribly if you wail on the thing for very long. As with anything, I guess.

I had to get the requisite garage shots while the car was still clean and new, before the front end is peppered with rock chips and scars from a winter's highway miles. I threw another two coats of Souveran on it and plan to switch to a synthetic sealant after the next wash, and I have really come to love the color.

The temporary window decal is there to humor a certain 15 year-old niece who wants the car for herself when she starts driving. Her enthusiasm for the 500 seems to know no bounds. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Chris,

I have to admit it's a bit of a surprise to see an O.G. BMW forum junkie with such a 'cute' car. ;)

I agree with everything you've said about it thus far, though...I'm a sucker for the car's character, I think most of people that are in these cars realize there are plenty of other sensible choices that probably are better performers. I think JC did put it best....

"...and best of all, and I know this is a concept that Ye Old May doesn't understand, this car makes you feel...happy!"

21 - 40 of 63 Posts