Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not too happy with #3. I was hoping that 160 hp would be the starting point. I know there will be aftermarket upgrades, but I wouldn't want to do anything that would void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There isn't a torque convertor on a manual transmission, in the Abarth.

I have paddle shifter, on 2 other automatic/and a semi automatic cars. They don't have dual clutches.
And the paddle shifter are just glorified shifters. Paddle shifters work best with a dual clutch. They are a gimmick for tranny's with toque converters, and don't work on a pure manual

·
Registered
34 Posts
After reading the above article (disappointing) and going to the LA Auto Show I think the VW Beetle R will be the one to beat.
Why compare an Abarth to a much larger car that will likely cost about 40-50% more? I do agree that the Beetle R is mighty enticing, however.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It actually comes with a 5 speed manual. All of
Abarths compeitors comes with a 6 speed. Would have been nice.
Not really a surprise. The Abarth has a 5-spd in Europe for the same reason. No room. I think it'll drive fine since it has a broad torque band but not having a 6-spd will hurt marketing a little. However, I don't think it'll be a deal-breaker for most.

The auto transmission used in our NA car is plenty strong for the Abarth (same transmission is in the MINI S) if they ever decide to use one. I think they want an "anti-Jlo" to start though. Maybe by 2013. I believe there is a true dual-clutch in the works also.

Cheers, YMMV

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm actually glad about the 160hp, at least I won't get the car and 3 months later they announce a faster one. I don't understand why not having a 6 speed would be an issue, it doesn't offer anything performance wise. The only thing it would offer is a little better gas mileage on the highway, but if your happy with the regular 500 and 5 speed it should non issue on the Abarth.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could a six speed not offer better fuel consumption with proper gearing?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts