Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I own a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport, with about 33k miles on it. I purchased it in 2014 from CarMax, at 12k miles. I change the oil when the message pops up, which seems to be about every 5000 miles, and have not had any problems with overheating, low oil, or the like. However I'm being told I need a new engine. Here's the breakdown of what happened:

Last Saturday, I was driving about 20 mph downhill, on the first hot day of the year, when my car stalled out. A message popped up saying the engine oil was low, and to pull over and turn off the engine.I was in the middle of traffic, so I restarted the car in order to move it to the side of the road. Within about 10 seconds the car turned off again, with the same low engine oil message. I checked the oil level, and it was definitely low, but not empty. I put in two quarts of oil (5W30) and the level read completely full. I tried to start the car again, and while there was no low oil message, the car still wouldn't start. The car sounds like everything is okay but the engine just never turns on.

I let it sit for a few hours, and then tried to get the car to start again - no dice. At this point I figured that I had drained the battery while trying to get it to start so many times, so I tried to jump start it multiple times, and even let the battery charge for 15 minutes. Still not starting. At that point I had it towed to my usual mechanic, who took a look and said it was a timing belt issue, and they don't work on engines. So, I had it towed to another auto shop by my house that assured me they could do a timing belt replacement. That shop took a look and said the timing belt was pretty much new, and definitely didn't need to be replaced. They ran a compression test, and told me today that there was low compression from the engine, and that I'd need a new engine. The shop says that I have less than 50 psi in every cylinder.

For a variety of reasons I'm not trusting of this shop, so I'm taking it to another shop to get a second opinion. The nearest dealer with a service center is 45 miles away, so I'd like to see what other ideas are out there before paying to have it towed that distance.

After reading this forum, I'm seeing a lot about oil consumption, however I only got the low oil pressure message once, and I haven't had any issues with overheating, or any other symptoms of a lack of oil before.

Does anyone have any other thoughts about what could be going on?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, some thoughts...one of which is that low oil level does not translate directly to low oil pressure. You said you have 33k miles, when was your last oil change - you mentioned an oil change at 12k miles, that's a while ago. 2 quarts are a lot to lose, but not catastrophic - the engine requires almost 4 quarts of oil, 2-quart is very low, but not quite enough to cause oil pick-up issue under normal driving. But then, if oil change was performed at a regular interval, where did the oil go? You may have been burning oil for sometime. 50psi is really low, meaning the rings are shot. CarMax, don't they have pretty good warranty? That sounds like your best bet. Do you need a new engine? I don't know - if it's losing oil through the valves, you need valve job, if it's through the rings, you need ring job. At least in the more civilized days of the past, you wouldn't need new engine.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
There is no "low engine oil" message in the EVIC or idiot light array. There is a low oil pressure warning light which must be taken seriously.

The message you got was not that the oil was low, it was that the oil pressure was low-possibly none.

Running an engine, even for a minute with no oil pressure will ruin the main engine bearings, the connecting rod bearings, possibly score the cylinder walls (leading to low compression numbers), etc.

Bottom, line based on your description of what you did after you got the low oil pressure warning, you most likely ruined the engine.

Your fault, not the car's fault.

Why are you running a car with low oil?

The oil level must be checked regularly to avoid such problems.

You can't just drive around obliviously waiting for the change oil message to come one. Car ownership carries some responsibilities, like checking the oil level regularly.

Everybody knows this.

TEdolph

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
No compression, at 50 psi each cylinder. Should be around 170 psi.You rings are shot, or valves, not sealing. Lack of oil. Starvation cause the engine damage.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
No compression, at 50 psi each cylinder. Should be around 170 psi.You rings are shot, or valves, not sealing. Lack of oil. Starvation cause the engine damage.
Smark,

Is there any hope that merely replacing the rings and honing the cylinder walls might salvage an engine like this?

I suppose one could do the wet/dry compression test to tell whether it is the rings or the valves, but we still wouldn't know the condition of the connecting rod bearings and main engine bearings without doing a complete tear down?

TEdolph

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Smark,

Is there any hope that merely replacing the rings and honing the cylinder walls might salvage an engine like this?

I suppose one could do the wet/dry compression test to tell whether it is the rings or the valves, but we still wouldn't know the condition of the connecting rod bearings and main engine bearings without doing a complete tear down?

TEdolph
Actual. It would be very costly to rebuild the engine. You don’t know if the crank bearings got toasted too. The valve train of a Mutiair engine is very complex. It relies on oil too. A new short block might just take care of the problem. A salvaged low milage complete engine would be the cheapest route. This repair is just going to be costly. No matter how you look at. Good practice to check you oil, when you fill up your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2013 Fiat 500 started shaking at idle and when we did the diagnostic test the P0301 code came up (misfire in cylinder 1). We replaced all spark plugs and oil and it still shakes. We then replaced the pcv valve and it shook less but the same code shows up.

After we did the compression test on all the cylinders. All cylinders had good compression except for cylinder 1. I don't know what to do next...

By looking at the spark plugs, there are traces of fuel so the fuel injectors are good. Does someone else have a clue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts