Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Pressure Warning Light

This light indicates low engine oil pressure. The light should come on as a bulb check when the ignition switch is first turned ON and remain on momentarily when the engine is started. If the light does not come on during starting, have the system checked by an authorized dealer. If the light turns on while driving, stop the vehicle and shut off the engine as soon as possible. A chime will sound for four minutes when this light turns on.

What does it mean?

The oil pressure warning light indicates a low oil pressure condition is detected outside the safe operating parameters of your vehicle’s engine. Your engine may have an oil leak, the oil pump may not be operating correctly, or the oil level may simply be too low.

How is my vehicle affected?

A low oil pressure condition indicates your engine does not have sufficient oil capacity to maintain proper lubrication levels required for engine operation. Driving with low oil pressure can severely damage your engine.

What should I do?

If the light turns on while driving, stop the vehicle and shut off the engine as soon as possible. Do not operate the vehicle until the cause is corrected.
Note:
This light does not show how much oil is in the engine. The engine oil level must be checked under the hood.
My car does the same thing when I stopped at a light it says low oil pressure I replaced the low oil pressure part two times I took it and spent $750 on having a oil leak fixed and had some other things done it's still doing the same **** thing low oil pressure it's driving me crazy I don't have the money to be doing this with this car and I can't afford to buy another one this is such a headache. And it seems like nobody wants to touch this car I called the dealerships and they say hold on we got to connect to you to somebody else and that person will never answer the phone

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's NOT common. Nearly always it's a lack of basic scheduled maintenance. Especially changing oil. The cylinder head design REQUIRES very clean oil. The owner's manual spells out when to do maintenance.

The oil leak is often an inexpensive o-ring on top of the driver's side of the cylinder head. This is were the air/oil separator attaches. The o-ring costs about $5 at the dealer or 75 cents at a hardware store.

Reactions: bryanintowson

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, but, like HOW LONG does that take? Is it an overnight thing? Seriously going on 5 weeks of that light flickering on and off. Haven't noticed any changes in the sound or performance.

I wish someone else who has experienced this could chime in! :)

I'm bringing it to the Fiat service department on Saturday, but they only do express 15 minute oil changes that day. If only they could test the pressure with some device while it was there... :(
Hi there, it looks like it's been a few years now since this issues came up so I'm guessing there was some sort of conclusion to this problem (good or bad). Im curious to know what the outcome was. My 2013 Fiat is currently doing the same thing and has been doing this for about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Look, teddy was banned from here for some racist comments or what not, and he wasn’t always pleasant to others, but he was absolutely right. If you operate the engine with low oil pressure warning on, you will damage the engine in various ways. If you are driving with the warning light on for 6 months, your engine is likely toast. At this point, it’s just a science experiment to see how much longer it can go. If you give it the beans, you can testify soon enough. The conclusion is that all those people more likely than not either rebuild or replace the engine.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts