Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Besides the drop amount you might want to try and match the OEM spring rates as closely as possible or your shocks won't be able to compensate.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Any update?
Our Lead Tech and Owner have been Vegas bound for SEMA, I can have an update for you hopefully by the end of the week. Check out some of the pics from the show!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Isn't there a large weight difference between the E and all of the gas models? I wouldn't think the lowering springs would work with the E.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Isn't there a large weight difference between the E and all of the gas models? I wouldn't think the lowering springs would work with the E.
This.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes the car weighs more. It's got the Abarth springs and bars on the car (if I remember correctly). Easy parts bin rummaging to keep the cost of the car down and deal with the extra weight.

Have at it, but for handling I'd start with better tires and maybe wheels. Lower away, but you want a lot of roll stiffness, because the car is a lot heavier. So either stiff springs, or stiffer anti-roll bars would be a must.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes the car weighs more. It's got the Abarth springs and bars on the car (if I remember correctly). Easy parts bin rummaging to keep the cost of the car down and deal with the extra weight.

Have at it, but for handling I'd start with better tires and maybe wheels. Lower away, but you want a lot of roll stiffness, because the car is a lot heavier. So either stiff springs, or stiffer anti-roll bars would be a must.
So i just lowered my 500e on H&R lowering springs (Abarth Part Number) and i haveto say it drives like crap now. The OEM 500e springs are actually what Mopar calls "Heavy duty spec" compared to the Abarth are considered "high performance". So we are back to the drawing board. Its not only the 500lbs weight difference between the 500e and regular, it's also the weight bias. Normal 500's are a lot more nose heavy, and the Electric version is 57/43 which is much more neutral causing the suspension to be setup completely different.

Im going to try the Eibach Pro Kit Next....

Anybody want a set of H&R Springs for an Abarth that were used for 50 miles let me know :) Dont mind taking a loss on it!

·
Registered
857 Posts

Only partially correct. The 500e DOES have the rear axle from the Abarth, but WITHOUT the sway bar, and the car rides on 500e specific springs that are very tall. I have done the following to lower mine and a friends 500e with great results, and cheap, too: Find a set of takeoff stock front and rear springs from an Abarth, there are plenty of them available from everyone who has upgraded their Abarth suspension. They fit perfectly, and drop the front end 1" and the rear 2 1/2", and leave the car level. The drop is about the same as on a 1" lowered Abarth. The stock Abarth springs are about 1 1/2" shorter than the 500e springs, and the fronts are 15mm wire instead of 14mm (stiffer), and the rears are 12mm instead of 13mm (softer). this places the car pretty close to the bump stops, and they should be trimmed 1" shorter front and rear. The front is now lower, and firmer, and now turns in MUCH better. The rear, with the softer springs, could use a shock with more compression dampening, such as Koni Yellows that have adjustable dampening. These springs can be gotten for well under $100 to as low as $20, just post a WTB here. We documented the entire procedure with photos on the last one, very easy really. Takes about 3 hours to do both ends. I am looking about for wrecked Abarths so I can get the ARB brackets and bar to put on my car and then I will be set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So here are the before and after pics of the spring installation. Car handles much better with the new setup. My initial concern was that ride quality would suffer, but that is NOT the case. Feels great on the highway. I think the Koni yellows are in my future as well, just to dial it in. Our cars also have a tendency to scrape that rubber spoiler up front and I have to say that it is no worse with the car down lower as the front was always pointed down before. Now it is level. Big thanks to RND! Pics of the install need to be sorted, stay tuned.

500e_low1.jpg 500e_low2.jpg 500e_low3.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 474 Posts
About this Discussion
473 Replies
92 Participants
horstkotte
Fiat 500 Forum
Join our community to talk about all things Fiat 500 related. Check out our discussions on the Fiat 500, Abarth, 595, engine specs, MPG’s and more!
Full Forum Listing