Fiat 500 Forum banner

461 - 480 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking for a set of front Abarth springs. Once I find a set, I'll be selling my Madness springs. I'm unsure which version Madness they are because they were installed by the previous owner. He bought the car in April 2017 so they are probably the most recent version but I can't be sure. I'd post in the classifieds but the forum won't let me yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eibach lowering rating

What was the original lowering rating on the Eibachs? I just ordered Vogtland that are rated at 1" / 1.4" on the Turbo or Abarth and am wondering what that will mean given the extra 500lbs.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My lowered 500e: Just cut stock 500e coils...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It's a little firmer now than our 500T, but certainly livable. It probably helps that I retained a 15" rim, so there is enough extra sidewall to dampen harshness.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
How much did you cut front vs rear?
I think the rear was about 3/4 coil with about 1" cut off the bump stops, and the front was a measurement based on the extended length of the struts when assembled, meaning once I had the assembly off the car, I measured the distance from the underside of the bottom strut to the top side of the hat. Then when the coil was disassembled, I made sure the cut was taller than that dimension, plus 1/2" to insure proper preload on the spring when re-assembling.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,756 Posts
Thank you, but I'm not quite sure I follow. I don't suppose you kept the "scraps" you cut off, to send us a pic?

Also, if you were doing it all over again, what would you do different?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thank you, but I'm not quite sure I follow. I don't suppose you kept the "scraps" you cut off, to send us a pic?

Also, if you were doing it all over again, what would you do different?
What needs clarification? My scraps are long gone, and everything turned out perfect, so no do-over wishes :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally done with my mods. Did the abarth front strut/spring and 1coil cut plus Koni rear. Still very comfortable. I will say that the 7.5x17 ET40 were a bit harder to fit than expected. Has 3/8 spacers right now which gives it 5mm distance between tire and strut in front. Pretty big shoes for the little one ...
Choosing 205/45 made the car much quieter. The larger and heavier wheels come at a range cost though (100mi -> 75-80mi).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just finished lowering my 500e using the combined wisdom of those of you who figured this all out - thanks!

I used the 500 Abarth front springs and cut 1 coil off stock rears (1/2 off top, 1/2 off bottom) using a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel. I used the C4 Corvette shocks (KYB KG5564 Gas-a-Just) in the rear with the sleeve bearings to make them fit our cars (Dayton 3FJu4 & Ucell a14010200ux0620). I cut the front bump stops a tad more than 1 inch (cut at the black band) and used Energy Suspension 9.9101R bump stops in the rear.

Wheels are the Competizione CV-2, 17x7.5, 4x98, 35 offset in Matte Black from 500 Madness. Tires are Federal SS-595 215/40R17 (cheap, sticky, but noisy). Speedo now reads about 1 mph slower than actual speed because of the taller tires.

I removed the front air dam because it was scraping on my driveway BEFORE lowering. Buy some Trim Clip Removal Pliers to make this job easy.

I've only driven about 1 mile on it (literally just finished) but so far so good! A little firmer but still comfortable ride, corners flatter and more responsive (turn-in) -- feels like a stock sports car and not like a harsh track-prepped car. It still feels like it could use a rear sway for corner-carving but I think this is going to be a nice sporty daily driver setup. And of course, it LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER than the stock jacked-up stance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished lowering my 500e using the combined wisdom of those of you who figured this all out - thanks!

I used the 500 Abarth front springs and cut 1 coil off stock rears (1/2 off top, 1/2 off bottom) using a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel. I used the C4 Corvette shocks (KYB KG5564 Gas-a-Just) in the rear with the sleeve bearings to make them fit our cars (Dayton 3FJu4 & Ucell a14010200ux0620). I cut the front bump stops a tad more than 1 inch (cut at the black band) and used Energy Suspension 9.9101R bump stops in the rear.

Wheels are the Competizione CV-2, 17x7.5, 4x98, 35 offset in Matte Black from 500 Madness. Tires are Federal SS-595 215/40R17 (cheap, sticky, but noisy). Speedo now reads about 1 mph slower than actual speed because of the taller tires.

I removed the front air dam because it was scraping on my driveway BEFORE lowering. Buy some Trim Clip Removal Pliers to make this job easy.

I've only driven about 1 mile on it (literally just finished) but so far so good! A little firmer but still comfortable ride, corners flatter and more responsive (turn-in) -- feels like a stock sports car and not like a harsh track-prepped car. It still feels like it could use a rear sway for corner-carving but I think this is going to be a nice sporty daily driver setup. And of course, it LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER than the stock jacked-up stance.
How has the range been affected? I drive 62mi. Per day on my commute and I’m a little worried to go to 17’s

·
Registered
9 Posts
How has the range been affected? I drive 62mi. Per day on my commute and I’m a little worried to go to 17’s
I don't have any solid numbers, but it certainly seems like the range took a pretty big hit (10%?). I'm thinking of trimming the front air dam to about half-height and re-installing it to see if that helps. I did increase the tire pressure recently to 37 and I think that's helped.

There are several variables that no doubt contribute to the shorter range: the tires being wider, stickier, protruding out from the wheel wells more, and the wheel face not being as smooth. A little extra weight as well but I don't think that's as much of an issue.

I love the new look, but if I were doing it again, I might rethink the approach because of the reduction in range -- maybe go with a narrow tire but with a performance tread compound. I was also wondering if there are aerodynamic 17" wheel options -- perhaps moon style wheel covers:

I wouldn't recommend 215/40R17 ultra-high-performance tires with a 62-mile commute. :) It is more fun to drive though and feels more stable and planted. I can leave stoplights at full throttle without turning the tires into smoke now.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is the tire diameter -- my new tires are 3.3% taller, so the car is going 3.3% further than it thinks it is now, which would account for some of the apparent range loss. The more common 17" choice of 205/40 is still 1.96% taller.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where to buy Abarth Struts? and cheaper options than Koni for the rear shock, Someone told me KYB Abarth replacement was good?

I have a set of Abarth springs and some 17" wheels. Although I am not 100% sure I want to use them do to range loss, about 4.5 lbs heavier than stock.

I am collecting parts to get my car a little lower look better sometime this spring. I don't want it slammed but need to get rid of the rear wheel gap and the stock wheels. Tighter handling would be nice but I do like the current ride.

What else do I need? I would like to make it reversible. Will I need a camber kit? or just take it to get an alignment?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
cheaper options than Koni for the rear shock, Someone told me KYB Abarth replacement was good?
See my post a few up for one option -- I list the part numbers needed for the KYB Corvette shock retrofit. While the ride is good, I think maybe I could use more rebound dampening. The Konis are probably better in that regard. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found other options. As far as the Abarth rear shocks, they are probably going to be underdamped for our application since the 500e is so much heavier in the rear. Same goes for the rear Abarth springs -- I don't think you'll be happy with them because the spring rate isn't high enough. Either cut the stock rear springs or people have found a few others that work (Moog CC80659 Maxima Rear Springs, for example.)

Tighter handling would be nice but I do like the current ride.
You'll get both with the Abarth front springs and one of the rear options. I actually wish the ride was firmer, although it's a little sportier than stock. Plenty comfortable -- passengers are unlikely to notice a difference.

What else do I need?
You'll either want to cut the bumpstops or replace them with shorter ones.

I don't think a camber kit is needed. The rear camber should stay the same because of the beam axle (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.) I didn't notice a visible front camber change so it's probably pretty mild, and a little negative camber is a good thing for handling anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you. I'll look into the parts to retro for the Corvette shocks

What front struts are you using? I thought I needed to buy Abarth struts but I can't seem to find then online. I might be missing something but Google tends to just send me to standard gas 500 struts.

See my post a few up for one option -- I list the part numbers needed for the KYB Corvette shock retrofit. While the ride is good, I think maybe I could use more rebound dampening. The Konis are probably better in that regard. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found other options. As far as the Abarth rear shocks, they are probably going to be underdamped for our application since the 500e is so much heavier in the rear. Same goes for the rear Abarth springs -- I don't think you'll be happy with them because the spring rate isn't high enough. Either cut the stock rear springs or people have found a few others that work (Moog CC80659 Maxima Rear Springs, for example.)

You'll get both with the Abarth front springs and one of the rear options. I actually wish the ride was firmer, although it's a little sportier than stock. Plenty comfortable -- passengers are unlikely to notice a difference.

You'll either want to cut the bumpstops or replace them with shorter ones.

I don't think a camber kit is needed. The rear camber should stay the same because of the beam axle (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.) I didn't notice a visible front camber change so it's probably pretty mild, and a little negative camber is a good thing for handling anyway.

461 - 480 of 526 Posts