Fiat 500 Forum banner
561 - 580 of 624 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
Anyone try a coilover setup? Is there a recommended set?
I wasn’t able to find any made for a 500e and especially a reasonable price. Otherwise I would of gone that route. The major difference is weight and balance is much different then regular 500s.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
Not trying to argue but that’s not how cars are engineered. If it was you’d have the same springs on all the cars. Even here at Toyota there are different springs and struts for V6 and 4Cyl models despite even smaller weight differences then the gas fiat vs electric. I mean we’re talking about 60-70lbs~ worth of weight difference in the front. From a bean counters perspective (which is most automakers) there wouldn’t be a diff part if it didn’t make a darn difference.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,229 Posts
Also not trying to argue, just having some fun with the numbers. As you know, cars are engineered to carry driver-only, OR 2, 3, 4 people, etc, with luggage, up to the max gvwr, which is 3350Lb in a 2019 Abarth that weighs 2515 empty. Probably engineered to be pretty decent even with around half the 835lb max cargo.

That half-full weight happens to be very close to a normal drive for you or me (solo without cargo in a 500e). About like an Abarth... Hmmm... with the full 60Lb of fuel & 1 passenger in the back to pet a large dog on the folded seat? (I hope we're nearly done, since I'm running out of different typical loads!)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I sorta disagree and I’ll tell you why, I had a problem just like the Fiat, my 2015 VW wagon whilst sharing all of the suspension from a regular golf hatch back had one problem. It’s booty is 14” longer then a hatchback and while overall curb weight is negligible difference of 92lbs was enough to make it where my Golf coil over was 1.2” too low in the back vs the front. At the time no one made coil overs for a wagon variant so I took a gamble and ordered one made for the 4dr hatch. I had to adjust the coils to maximum topped out and fronts nearly all the way lowered just to be leveled. The springs of a wagon variant is same height as a hatch but obviously the weight differential of 92lbs was enough to max out my adjustable coil over on opposite spectrums on each end. And because of that difference my wagon drives kinda like I have 5cs of Costco water in the back even when there is nothing there. Not ideal but definitely feels under sprung, the only good thing is at least the shock rates match the spring rates despite them being too soft. And just to be clear the max GVW is the same across all Golf and Wagon models only difference is payload is different based on vehicle own curb weight. In the case of the wagon that extra 92lbs occurs at the back all else being equal.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,229 Posts
Okay, good point, & possibly directly applicable here, since I think I recall something about the E having some of the same springs &/or shocks as the gas ones, but different ride height (due to different frame mount points?).

My point was just that there are probably lots of gas 500s driving around with a daily load of the exact same weight and balance as us, so it doesn't seem quite like the major difference is weight and balance. OH! I can't remember if you have the back seat out like me. That's about 70Lb off the rear, so even less difference.

Hopefully someone with a buddy at a suspension shop will be able to try some more gas parts on an E to check them out. Or a shop that works on gas & E (Madness?). Or the manufacturers could try! Bilstein, are you listening? ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be doing my third one this weekend, but here is my second lowered 500e...

View attachment 109107
Wow both cars look amazing but I have a question about the silver car. I really like Competizione CV-2 wheels and I was wondering if you have an idea of how much the wheel and tire upgrade impacted the acceleration? Also could you share the brand and model of the tires?

Thanks

Edit: If anyone else is wondering about weight the CV-2's are ~19lbs and I don't know about these tires but the General G-Max AS-05 in 205/40-17 are 16.5lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone try these coilovers on their 500e: ST Coilovers Fiat 500 (incl. Abarth) 12-up 90621

I know our cars are about 600lbs heavier. Is the spring rate less, or is it a liability thing for eurotuned. I heard people using the front shocks and spring from the Abarth, and stock/cut rears; since majority of the weight is in back. And since these are adjustable, why can't we just bring the height up to make up for the sag of the extra 600 lbs?

That was a quote from when I sent the email to Eurotuned, and haven't heard back yet. Since the coil diameter on an Abarth is 1mm thicker up front and 1mm thinner in the rear, I'm guessing the aftermarket ones follow the same engineering. I would think the best combination would be to cut down the stick rear springs (since they are 1mm thicker) and use them instead of the Abarth or coil overs rear springs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone try these coilovers on their 500e: ST Coilovers Fiat 500 (incl. Abarth) 12-up 90621

I know our cars are about 600lbs heavier. Is the spring rate less, or is it a liability thing for eurotuned. I heard people using the front shocks and spring from the Abarth, and stock/cut rears; since majority of the weight is in back. And since these are adjustable, why can't we just bring the height up to make up for the sag of the extra 600 lbs?

That was a quote from when I sent the email to Eurotuned, and haven't heard back yet. Since the coil diameter on an Abarth is 1mm thicker up front and 1mm thinner in the rear, I'm guessing the aftermarket ones follow the same engineering. I would think the best combination would be to cut down the stick rear springs (since they are 1mm thicker) and use them instead of the Abarth or coil overs rear springs. Any thoughts?

Coilovers don't have adjustable spring RATES, they're generally adjustable spring seats, making the static ride height adjustable.

Suspension tuning should involve taking the corner weights of the vehicle, and unsprung weights of the vehicle, then deciding what wheel frequencies you want (how quickly the wheels react to bumps), then pick the rates that give you those frequencies. Then you pick the damping rates that will work well with those rates.

Yes, this is much more than is required for the average person, or anyone just daily driving. you'd do this if you're looking for the most performance from your suspension (though it's definitely better to make decisions with facts and math instead of guessing)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have stock rear springs they may want to sell me or know where to buy them? I need to sell the car in the next couple months and think it might be better to put it back to stock. Also if anyone is interested in koni struts, abarth front spring and cut rear springs maybe we can make a deal. Or if anybody it's looking for 2013 500e in or around Portland OR let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
@cjm1219 Oh man, I wish you were closer to me in San Jose, California. You have the exact set up I was looking for. I'd be more than happy to trade and even kick in a little extra to sweeten the deal. If you think we can work out a trade and shipping, I'd be all for it. If you find a stock set locally and want to ship/sell to me I'd be happy to purchase. Do you have pics of how your car looks now?
Thanks,
Vlad
650-799-2700

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is going to be a long post, but maybe will help someone else in the future with some pics...

Pretty striaght forward to pull the front suspension. I used this video for a little help, but it's not difficult to figure out...

View attachment 108535 View attachment 108536

Spring off using spring compressors. Rent them for free at Autozone or O'Reily's. I'm sure you could go without, but I thought better "safe" than sorry.

View attachment 108537 View attachment 108538

Size difference between the Abarth front springs and the stock. About a coil or so variation in the spring, but you can see the difference in the tightness of the springs - making a stiffer ride.

View attachment 108539

Rear spring cut. I cut one full coil and then replaced the bump stop with an aftermarket set. Here... Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.9101G ALL PURPOSE BUMP STOPS (2): Automotive

You need to drill a larger hole in the bottom of the spring bucket. I spray painted it so it wasn't just exposed metal to prevent corrosion. I also spray painted the end of the springs where I cut them.

View attachment 108540 View attachment 108541

I tried to get a pic of where I jacked up the back end. Used the spring bucket to get it up there then used a puck with a pinch weld "canal" to put the jack stand under. Then I could lower the rear end while keeping it in the air.

View attachment 108542

You can see the stock bump stop in there. To remove just pull it. It's just shoved in there not screwed in or anything.

View attachment 108543

Fruit of the labor. Sits pretty dang flush. Rides good, no issues that I've seen yet though I've only driven it about a mile.

View attachment 108544
Dear OBZ.
I recently lowered my Fiat 500e by cutting one coil off the rear springs....and 3/8 off the front springs. This left my car one inch higher in the front than the back unfortunately. I was thinking about using front Abarth springs like you did. My question is do the stock Abarth springs lower the car to about 1.5 inches above the tire just like the stock Abarth? The reason I ask.....is that I assumed the 500e would be lighter up front.....since it has no heavy gas motor up front. Can you verify that the stock spring sits at about the same height over the wheel when swapped out. Maybe the overall weight with the battery makes the front heavier as well.
Any feedback would be great.....I just want to finally get the ride height right. Also please include a spring part number if you still know......I know it has been awhile....but thought I would ask. Thanks so much in advance for your time.

cheers James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone provide the part number for the OEM 500e springs? We have an Abarth and I would like to have it ride a bit higher to deal with our really broken Maine roads. I've also seen another thread on this forum were the 500's sold in Latin America have taller springs. I have a hunch that the taller springs are the same as the 500e OEM springs, and the cars ride higher since they aren't full of batteries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone provide the part number for the OEM 500e springs? We have an Abarth and I would like to have it ride a bit higher to deal with our really broken Maine roads. I've also seen another thread on this forum were the 500's sold in Latin America have taller springs. I have a hunch that the taller springs are the same as the 500e OEM springs, and the cars ride higher since they aren't full of batteries.
I’m looking for Abarth front springs. Let me know if you’re open to selling yours or a trade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm really confused after reading 29 pages of this thread. I purchased a set (4 each) of springs for my 2017 500e, it's H&R brand sport spring(???) with 1.2" lowering. I've been calling a number of garages and tire centers and they don't do springs or want me to purchase struts to go with "lowering" springs. Can I just replace the stock springs with the H&R springs and be done with it? Or do I have to buy the bump stop(?) and/or struts (KYB, Koni, Abarth)? Can anyone give me a straight answer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really confused after reading 29 pages of this thread. I purchased a set (4 each) of springs for my 2017 500e, it's H&R brand sport spring(???) with 1.2" lowering. I've been calling a number of garages and tire centers and they don't do springs or want me to purchase struts to go with "lowering" springs. Can I just replace the stock springs with the H&R springs and be done with it? Or do I have to buy the bump stop(?) and/or struts (KYB, Koni, Abarth)? Can anyone give me a straight answer?
For liability reasons I can’t suggest what you do….but I will tell you what I did.

I had a shop cut one coil off the back and then I bought Abarth springs for the front. I also cut about 3/4 of an inch off the bump stops…..to keep from constantly bottoming out on them.
I was so worried to do this modification…..but the car drives way better than it did (no lie). The Abarth springs in the front bounce so much cleaner, the car steers better, and the ride is not harsh at all.
I hope your H/R springs are not too harsh for you. I didn’t swap my shocks or struts because this car is extremely heavy…..and I assumed the stock shocks and struts were already pretty heavy duty. The way it drives…..I’m pretty sure they are.

I hope that helps you out some. It is a scary project….and I had to do it twice. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For liability reasons I can’t suggest what you do….but I will tell you what I did.

I had a shop cut one coil off the back and then I bought Abarth springs for the front. I also cut about 3/4 of an inch off the bump stops…..to keep from constantly bottoming out on them.
I was so worried to do this modification…..but the car drives way better than it did (no lie). The Abarth springs in the front bounce so much cleaner, the car steers better, and the ride is not harsh at all.
I hope your H/R springs are not too harsh for you. I didn’t swap my shocks or struts because this car is extremely heavy…..and I assumed the stock shocks and struts were already pretty heavy duty. The way it drives…..I’m pretty sure they are.

I hope that helps you out some. It is a scary project….and I had to do it twice. Good luck to you.
What they said above. But also I was were you were a year ago. What I gathered from reading everything I could find the H/R springs with stock shocks will work and look good but ride may harsh. I went the route above with abarth front springs and cut stock rear springs and stock struts. This was fine and looked good, handled well but didn’t ride as good as stock. After a few months added Koni yellows and was able to play with the adjustments to get it to ride, handle, and look better than stock. Long story short I’d add some konis to your h/r springs to be able to adjust the ride.

561 - 580 of 624 Posts