Fiat 500 Forum banner
601 - 620 of 624 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. Can anyone confirm that you don't need spring compressors when replacing springs in the front struts? Any other tips? I've gathered all the tools needed and am ready to start on the project.

2. How do you jack up our "e"? I struggled for about 45 minutes with my floor jack and 2 stands but couldn't do it. Had my "e" on 2x4's as suggested by someone--this was to easily pull out my floor jack AFTER lowering. But my floor jack can only up 14" high and the tires are still pressing down on the 2x4's. I got a low profile floor jack, should I use a regular jack?

ANYONE???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can anyone confirm that you don't need spring compressors when replacing springs in the front struts? Any other tips? I've gathered all the tools needed and am ready to start on the project. How to replace the front springs without compressors? You have to unscrew the bolt on top of the strut without stripping it if you don't use the compressors, how to do it???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finally got the rear springs and struts replaced! I started this afternoon at 3:30pm and finished at 6:00pm, half the time was wasted trying to jack up (and down) the car safely and without damaging the body. A few notes: first, the energy bump stops are garbage, I couldn't get it installed, had to cut the factory bump stops. If you know how to get the energy bump stops installed, please let us know in detail. Second, I didn't take the wheels off at all--I was able to replace the springs and the struts without taking off the rear wheels. Third, the H&R rear springs (spec'd to be about 1" lower) lowered my rear by more than 1", it looks more like 2-3" lowered. I would NEVER recommend these H&R springs for our "e". I will have to do the front springs sometime this week. It looks a little funny because the rear of my car looks so tight but the front has a huge gap in the wheel well. I sat in the car and I felt a bit weird because it was slanted noticeably, had to readjust the side mirrors too, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finally got the front springs replaced yesterday afternoon. It went much more smoothly than the rear struts and springs replacement. Took the wheels off and worked from the sides of the car. Drove home on the highway at 60-70 MPH, I saw 4.4 KW/Mile(?) number in the dashboard at the end when I arrived home. Felt very solid in handling, just have to be careful with bumps in the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I still feel like the rear springs sag too much, it's the main reason why I can't recommend the H&R springs. Front springs are great, but the rear springs can't handle the extra weight that our "e" carries in the rear. I'm going to have to make the Koni yellow struts less stiff (it's at the stiffest setting currently and makes me feel every imperfection in the road). And I'm going to look for OEM rear springs and cut them about 1". Abarth rear springs are 1mm thinner so not recommended for our "e" rear. Does anyone know how to make the Koni Yellow rear struts less stiff? What's the best source for OEM springs?

EDIT
After 2 months of driving on the H&R front springs (I've already switched to cut oem rear springs), I've decided to switch to cut oem front springs. Do NOT buy the H&R springs for our "e", their springs are garbage for our cars, they sag too much and too soft. My recommendation is to just cut the BOTTOM of oem springs, just measure how much you want to lower your car and cut accordingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I still feel like the rear springs sag too much, it's the main reason why I can't recommend the H&R springs. Front springs are great, but the rear springs can't handle the extra weight that our "e" carries in the rear. I'm going to have to make the Koni yellow struts less stiff (it's at the stiffest setting currently and makes me feel every imperfection in the road). And I'm going to look for OEM rear springs and cut them about 1". Abarth rear springs are 1mm thinner so not recommended for our "e" rear. Does anyone know how to make the Koni Yellow rear struts less stiff? What's the best source for OEM springs?
where did you buy koni yellow? I am also thinking to buy it... and import to eu....

ps. from this topic (few first pages)... maybe will help... "When I was doing the swap this weekend, and I could compare the stock vs. Koni dampening off the car, I found that the compression dampening only mildly more stiff on the Koni's. Of course the rebound dampening can adjusted infinitely on the Koni's, so I opted to initially set them 1/2 turn up from full soft, which was a bit stiffer than the stockers."

·
Registered
57 Posts
where did you buy koni yellow? I am also thinking to buy it... and import to eu....

ps. from this topic (few first pages)... maybe will help... "When I was doing the swap this weekend, and I could compare the stock vs. Koni dampening off the car, I found that the compression dampening only mildly more stiff on the Koni's. Of course the rebound dampening can adjusted infinitely on the Koni's, so I opted to initially set them 1/2 turn up from full soft, which was a bit stiffer than the stockers."
I bought them from tirerack. At the time, they had the best price. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finally found out how to fit Energy bump stops:

tldr; you have to drill to enlarge the hole on the BOTTOM plate, not the TOP. The video above shows you how to do it. Use a 3/8" drill bit. Duh!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am still looking for OEM "500e" rear springs. Where do you find them online? I looked fleabay and craigslist but no joy so far. Anyone know the exact part number for our "e" rear springs?

Yes, I have my original rear springs but I'm keeping them as is, in case I need to get back to original condition, not cutting these originals.

I have a pair of original rear struts that I am willing to part with, any offers? I'm located in San Diego, CA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you read the entire thread, you'd have come across someone mentioning coilovers and others chiming in. I can't remember exactly where, you'd have to do the research, google it maybe???
I see a lot of posts about spring and shock combos, but what I’m looking for is an off-the-shelf good set of coilovers. Can you share your knowledge?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone measured droop and compression travel on the stock setup? I'm convinced the 500e springs and dampers are not properly engineered and paired. Basically they raised the car to make sure the battery won't scrape and the actuaries approved and that was the extent of chassis tuning for the gas vs. E 500.

601 - 620 of 624 Posts