Fiat 500 Forum banner

Lowering kit worth it?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PollyMarkA 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, I have a 22 500e. I am looking at a couple of lowering kits available for it for looks and handling. I am wondering if anyone has done it and how the car rides afterwards. The car is already quite stiff, so I am worried that making it stiffer will make the ride insufferable.

#2 ·
Hello,

Chances are it will, You lower it one of two ways - changing the spring perch height on Coil over shocks - lowering where the spring is in relation to the shock body OR shorter stiffer springs.
Shorter stiffer will have less travel to Deal with Road imperfections so are usually stiffer and the Shocks should also be changed to deal with the change in Spring rates.
Height Adjustable Coil over kits will have shocks and springs that are matched and will allow you to lower the car and maintain what ever Ride Quality the Set you buy is supposed to provide.

Be Careful about buying a kit for a Normal Fiat 500 - as the E is about 600 lbs Fatter - so the springs and paired shocks should be for a Heavier car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.