Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is so much information and speculation on aftermarket lowering springs out there I thought we'd share what we know with the group to perhaps help with the confusion.

Here is what we know of that is coming to the marketplace:

Eibach - Per our Eibach Rep as of today (7/5/11)...

There are NO Eibach Springs in production as of today. They are stating that a small run of only 25 sets (Yes, only 25 sets!) is scheduled for the end of July and should be available in the beginning of August. That means that the springs will be released sometime between the end of July to the beginning of August.

Out of the 25 sets that are being made 15 were pre sold to several large companies (who's name was not disclosed). 10 more we up for grabs. We had a couple of set reserved and so did several other companies, so for the most part the first batch is sold out. I do not know any more specific details on who ordered what. What we did ask is that whatever will be available (if anything) we will take, but I am sure others said the same.

A second run is scheduled for after August, but it will be done outside of the California facility at their other facility.

Magneti Marelli
- This is NOT the EU Spec Springs. This is a set we have been working with MM on for the North American Spec cars.

We have a set on our own car right now and I can honestly tell you they fit and I have them on MY OWN car right now. The issue is the drop. MM wants a relatively mild drop (about 1") and once we fit the pre production version on our own car we got a nice drop (about 1") in the front, but the rear was about 3/4" lower then what MM wanted.

We have been speaking with the engineers at MM last week, sending specs and pics and should have an update soon. The goal is to have the correct set up in our hands within weeks. Once we reinstall them, try them out and confirm the correct specs, we will place orders and they will be rushed to production.

We are estimating 4-6 weeks. We will order the first batch by air (a little more expense) and the second by ship (longer, but a bit less money for those that care to wait).

The MM line will cater to those that want a relatively small drop, improved handling, but not too much compromise in the ride.

Vogtland
- no updates as of today. Still waiting to see if and when they will have something for us.

MADNESS Springs - We are doing 2 different springs of our own. We have a very well known and respected manufacturer in Europe that is manufacturing our springs. Our goal was to put out the highest quality spring set.

We are doing two different versions. Version 1 will be a mild drop of approximately 1" and Version 2" will be a more aggressive set with an approximate 2" drop. All other details are being kept private right now until the sets are ready for release (hope you understand).

Our prototypes were to arrive by air about 3 weeks ago for trial fitment, but someone in EU made an error and put them in a container with all the other springs and they got shipped by sea instead. This delayed things considerably, but after checking daily we got good news today.

The container arrived! Now all we need is to have our rep locate those boxes in the entire container (which he promises he will do tomorrow). Once they are located we will take delivery, take out the MM Springs, install these and test them out. Once everything checks out we will hopefully OK the production run.

From there it will take about 4-6 weeks for them to be done. Once they are done we will send the first shipment in by air and the second by sea.

So, to summarize soon you will have many options, but for right now there are very few options available.

What a number of our customers have done is simply order the EU Spec Springs and use them as is. Some have cut off about 1/2 of a coil in the rear set to level out the car. It is not the best option, but is an option for those that must have their car dropped right away and do not mind changing out the set later on when more options are available.

So, there you go... Hopefully this will help a little bit. If we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask or call us.

Thank you everyone,
Boris
Principal
500 MADNESS

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thank you for the detailed explination. It is good to know there is a company we can trust to tell us the truth. This other guy has been driving people nuts.

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

You are more then welcome.

I am sure no other vendor is trying to deliberately confuse anyone or pass on incorrect information. It may have simply been an issue with Eibach and their staff not communicating accurately.

As soon as we have any updates we will let everyone know.

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last thing...

We are not suggesting to cut any springs or offering to cut or heat any springs. I have simply stated that we have had customers do that on their own without any input from us.

It is simply a short term solution for someone who desperately wants to drop their car and cannot wait for the proper set up and understands that it is not a good long term solution.

My personal suggestion is to wait until the properly designed sets are available, but if you have a show you are trying to get ready for and no other options are available to you this is one option.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any updates??? I really cant stand looking at my car that high!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Anyone needs them.
We got the Eibachs in. All set sold except 3. Order now if you want them. First come first serve on these sets. Thanks Eibach.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont know what kind of real story this is considering I have my springs that i ordered from Road Race... (Not cut ones or Euro models either. In case anyone was wondering) just got them today actually... came on to let everyone know that Road Race had them and saw this "Real Story" that Triumph claimed to have. i'm only guessing when i say that the un-trustworthy company that Triumph is talking about is Road Race and the guy that is driving everyone one nuts is Rob from Road Race. I can only speak from the experiences i've had with Rob but none of them would lead me to think that he or his company or his employes i've spoken with on the phone are un-trustworthy in any way. As far as i'm concerned he's the only one that has backed up what he's said. I have my intake in my car... Pretty sweet if you ask me... I have my springs... getting them put on this weekend. I know that Domdil has his springs from Road Race and they are already on his car ... The only thing i can think of to say to Road Race is keep up the good work !!! I'm a customer of Road Race for a good reason... Anyways pictures to come when i get my springs on... Like Rob said he only has 3 sets left so get em while you can. Thanks Rob, I'm glad i'm dealing with a company that is as trustworthy as they come !

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our small delivery came in today from Eibach. Unfortunately all are spoken for at this time.

It looks like the next batch of Pro Kit Springs are scheduled for September. If you are looking for Eibachs and can't wait for any other options your best bet is to contact Road Race (if he still has any left in stock).

If for some reason someone who reserved them backs out we may (may) have a set left. It that is the case we will be reserving it for a local install. We had several local customers that asked early on and we promised we would hold a couple of sets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The front looks nice but the rear is too high to my likings.

Reactions: GotFiat

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think it looks perfect.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Domdil,

did you install them or did a shop? I'm curious what the install costs.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The front looks nice but the rear is too high to my likings.
yeah I agree maybe the rear could be about a half an inch or so lower but with where I live I would destroy the underside of my car and be scraping the front end all the time if it was any lower. I had a VW GTI that was riding on a 2" drop kit and I went through so many front valances and dinged up underneath my car horribly, dont really want to do that on a brand new car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts