Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my 500 Sport, will be picking it up later today, silver with manual transmission, sun roof. This is my first real car that I've bought, used to driving big SUV's and trucks, so I'm used to raising vehicles not lowering them.

So I'm gonna be putting about 1000 miles a week on this thing, so only want to do some little changes, but eventually probably be doing lots of other mods.

New to this forum so hello all.

So I called 500 madness and order their lowering spring kit, cause I want to give the vehicle a lower stance and a little more of an agressive look. Now wanted to know since I was given advice from my brother who drives a Mini S and lowered his car with coil overs.

Will I be blowing out my stock shocks just using the spring kit soon after I do that???? Will I need to get an alignment after I break in the springs or should I just go ahead and get the coil overs and just be done with????? If so will I need to do an alignment after I put the coil overs on and lower???

let me know guys, cause I can always return the springs and order the coil overs, and if I do get the coil overs it would be the ST Kit, and how much will it lower the vehicle or is it adjustable???

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Coilovers on the street are a tad stiff for my day to day driving. You will need an alignment after the install. I didn't blow my shocks out on my 500 after 7000 miles. A good quality shock (when available) and a good quality spring is ideal for a street driven car IMO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Madness progressive 1.2 inchers work beautifully with the stock dampers in my car in about 1200 miles of driving. The combo seems like a good one with this modest but important drop. Handling was vastly improved, and ride is actually better, by my standards. It gets pavement-related disturbances over with more quickly, and body roll in curves and dive under braking is much reduced, with no harshness at all. The 2-inch drop version might not give the stock dampers enough travel, but I really can't say. Also I believe that because the springs are shorter, the rear 2 inchers are not progressive. Talk to Boris about your desires, but for everyday driving, the 1.2 inchers should be about right, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

1.2ish inch drop

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Coilovers are always the better choice, but may not fit into your budget. They give you more control and adjustablity. With that said hold out for Bilsteins. They are the best on the market, and should be available sometime next month

·
Registered
20 Posts
A properly tuned coilover system will handle better AND ride better then mix matching lowering springs and aftermarket shocks. I would hold out for the Bilsteins. Do it once, do it right.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've had several sets of coil overs. Some pricepoint (BC) and some higher end (Bilstein) They all ride like bricks in comparison. Adjustability outside of a track/autocross settings is lost on the street. Too many variables. The height adjustment is nice, but at a premium cost. A cost that also reduces your comfort level.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've had several sets of coil overs. Some pricepoint (BC) and some higher end (Bilstein) They all ride like bricks in comparison. Adjustability outside of a track/autocross settings is lost on the street. Too many variables. The height adjustment is nice, but at a premium cost. A cost that also reduces your comfort level.
Agreed. If you are fortunate enough to be able to install the springs yourself, it's hard to justify the expense of coilovers IMHO. In my case I bought the Eibach Pro's from Tire Rack and installed them myself. All in all I was out around $221 shipped. That's $55 per corner. So far hands down this has been the best bang for buck mod I've made. :D

The way that I look at it - by the time the stock stuts/shocks wear out either the price of what is available will have dropped, something better will be out or I'll have moved on to another project. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on mine made a huge difference in handling, and surprisingly little difference in ride.

Reactions: Knuckledragger

·
Registered
376 Posts
Coilovers are always the better choice, but may not fit into your budget. They give you more control and adjustablity. With that said hold out for Bilsteins. They are the best on the market, and should be available sometime next month
When you say control and adjustment on the Bilsteins do you include ride comfort with that? I have a some interest in the Bilsteins but I'm 60 years old and don't feel the need to take a punch to the kidneys every time I go over a bump. Since I won't be going on the track I'm wondering if it would be much more than I need.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When you say control and adjustment on the Bilsteins do you include ride comfort with that? I have a some interest in the Bilsteins but I'm 60 years old and don't feel the need to take a punch to the kidneys every time I go over a bump. Since I won't be going on the track I'm wondering if it would be much more than I need.
No matter what you do the ride will be stiffer. Bilsteins will give you the smoothest ride over springs, and other coilovers. Adjustability for ride height and/or weight balance, shock compression and recoil for ride comfort/handling.. An important step when adding coilovers is putting the car on scales to balance the car. Most DIY'ers don't have that ability. Make sure whoever installs them uses scales to balance the car

·
Registered
376 Posts
No matter what you do the ride will be stiffer. Bilsteins will give you the smoothest ride over springs, and other coilovers. Adjustability for ride height and/or weight balance, shock compression and recoil for ride comfort/handling.. An important step when adding coilovers is putting the car on scales to balance the car. Most DIY'ers don't have that ability. Make sure whoever installs them uses scales to balance the car
Wow, that was quick!:) Do most shops that have the equipment to balance the car also have the skills to do a good job of it? Those of us that haven't done coilovers before can be a little intimidated by all of the adjustment possibilities available with coilovers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the look of the Madness progressive springs. Would the drop look the same if i were to put those springs on my pop?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I like the look of the Madness progressive springs. Would the drop look the same if i were to put those springs on my pop?

Same as what??? It matters not what model you get - the drop will be identical.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same as the pic someone posted on page1. Thanks for the info dude!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
my car looks a tiny bit lower. Might be my wheel width that makes it look that way though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The front has the wheels turned right a tad, making the opening look a bit larger and it is on a slope, putting a bit less weight on the front. I just checked in the garage, where it sits flat, and it is three thin fingers from the tread to the wheel well in the front and the back is perhaps an quarter of an inch more, car unladen.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Am i the only one the bottoms out the rear shocks a couple of times every day on the work commute? i'm on Eibach Pros. and i took about an inch or so of the rear bump stops as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.