Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just a month ago I bought an 2008 Fiat Abarth. It came with two wheels, winter and summer tires.
Today was the time for change and front lug nuts came off pretty easily, but the back tyre lug nuts didn't even budge.
Now one lug nut I get if it doesn't come off but ALL of the eight lug nuts were so tight. We tried with impact gun and by hand.

Is there a lock etc. that I do not know of?

Thanks fo the help beforehand.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nope, no lock. It's either corroded or way too tight. You probably need a breaker bar, decently long one, too. Make sure to do this with the car on the ground, not jacked up. Also, you should probably replace them if they were installed so tight. Watch out for the warped discs, too. When you reinstall it, tighten to just about 80ft-lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no lock. It's either corroded or way too tight. You probably need a breaker bar, decently long one, too. Make sure to do this with the car on the ground, not jacked up. Also, you should probably replace them if they were installed so tight. Watch out for the warped discs, too. When you reinstall it, tighten to just about 80ft-lbs.
Cheers for the reply, will try with a bigger breaker bar then.
And just a tad of WD40 for placebo effect

·
Registered
125 Posts
On Lugs, OEM Torque is 72LBS, I do mine to 80LBS. Tire Centers are notorious for either just grabbing the first Gun they see and torquing down on whatever the setting happens to be or, knowing that Lugs lose torque after they are first applied, purposely over-torque to protect them from any liability should the lugs spin loose and a wheel falls off.

Last time I had a Tire Rotation at a local Tire Center, when I later changed wheels, we found that the Tire Center had them torqued down at over 120LBS. I had to literally stand & jump on the Breaker Bar to break them loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replies guys, had to buy a 60cm breaker bar and lugs didn't even move. Had to use an extension and then got them out.. The lugs were dirty af...

·
Registered
7 Posts
When reinstalling, I apply a light coat of high temp anti-seize compound to the threads of the lug nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts