Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from our first road trip in our little 500. Car handled fantastic. 425 miles round trip. 20% highway, 80% 2 lane. Lots of fun, one the twisty roads. On the way down, we were only getting 34 mpgs. On the way back, 43-44 mpgs. The only thing I hate about the 500, is the straight arm driving position. Gets really old after a while. Love having Sirius radio. Sunroof make a lot of wind noise on the highway too. Love the gas milage.:)

Frank Lloyd Wright, and Italian design, Phillips 66 head quarters.

Bug city.......... Lots of them.:mad:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Next time you should use blue painters tape. It does a great job protecting the front end on long trips.

Attachments

Reactions: NHFiat500

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was your secret on the trip back to improve your MPG's? That's awesome mileage!
Going down we were driving 75-85 mph to get there. The milage was to me very bad. Coming back, taking our time, around 60-65 mph. The car seems to be very sensitive to gas milage by your speed. Go to 55mph, and even better.

I put wax on the front of my car, before long trip. After the trip, its up to the spray car wash. The bugs come off like butter. I could see the blue tape protecting like a cheap bar, for rock chips

·
Registered
147 Posts
I drove 1200 km (all highway; all 118 km/h) over 2 days last week. Going east with the wind I got 5.8 L/100km; coming west against the wind I got 7.0 L/100 km.

The 500 is actually a very very good road trip car. The seats are great. The stereo drowns out the road and wind noise. The only problem I really have is that I have reclined the driver's seat quite a bit, so the armrest juts up at a funny angle and can't be used.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Getting ready to take the 500c 400 miles each way from LA to San Francisco and back next weekend. So far I have only gone a dozen miles or so at a time. My wife took it to Bakersfield and back though. She said it struggled on the Grape Vine. But she also said she never downshifted from 5th.
We are taking both the new cars, she got a 2011 Grand Caravan a week or 2 ago. I have to come back for work on Monday and the kids and her will be on spring break so they will visit family in Sacramento.

Looking forward to the quality time with the family and with the Fiat.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got an overall 37mpg average doing an average of 70-80mph on highway 95 / 75 with climate control on Heat north / Cold south on my 3000+ 24 hour road trip from New England to Florida and back over the past holiday. This includes all the local city driving when I made it to my tropical destination.

As for the bugs I had the venture shield installed on the front including the headlights... worth the money! No dings :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts