Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I been lurking on the forums for a little while researching on this car (most any EV at its price point anyway) i found the 500e was the most appealing for under 10K, second one was the eGolf but more then i wanted to spend and didnt offer anything in terms of range. Most everything in this price bracket was a well used Leaf, Chevy Spark EV, Smart car EV, Mitsubishi Mivec and other really ugly looking cars. I am hoping it can serve its purpose as my commuter for a while, my commute is about 74 miles round trip not really any hills but 90% highway so i am crossing my fingers it will make it there and back. The big issue i see is during the morning drive there is not alot of traffic and everyone is flying down doing 80+ and as i understand it, it eats range like crazy on a EV to go above posted speed limits, but i also dont want to drive slow and have to change my whole driving routine at the same time don't want to be the douche driving slow in the HOV lane like Prius people later in the day on way home when there is heavier traffic. I will post some pictures of my new ride, it is a 2017 500e in Billet Argento Silver and 22k on the odometer, price was a $6800 so it was just within my budget.

Also i wanted to know if any Californians who bought these used who was still able to get any kind of rebates through Edison or California state? I know the Federal tax credit one you cant as original owner or lesse got it when bought in 2017.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe there was a rebate for the purchase of a used electric vehicle through Edison. I don't know if it's still offered. I got mine but I don't remember the specifics.

Also, post pics of the new ride or didn't happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are planning on driving 80+ mph for half or your 74 mile round trip, you might be disappointed. For this car, that is like driving close to wide open. You'll get much better range at 65 mph or lower. If you can charge at work, then you will have much better luck with your commute if you want to drive well over the speed limit. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are planning on driving 80+ mph for half or your 74 mile round trip, you might be disappointed. For this car, that is like driving close to wide open. You'll get much better range at 65 mph or lower. If you can charge at work, then you will have much better luck with your commute if you want to drive well over the speed limit. Let us know how it goes.

I am not planning on so, but i want to blend in with the flow of traffic and no be that guy who holds up people. I dont really have a speed preference as i drive what i deem safe for the weather and time. I just moving at the pace of the guy in front of me, i dont like dodging or driving faster then anyone else.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
At nearly any speed, for that long a commute you'll almost certainly want at least ONE of the following:
  • 240V outlet at home* & adapted stock chargecord*.
  • Unrestricted access to wall outlets* near enough to home AND work.
  • Upcoming DCFC kit* AND convenient access to a public CHAdeMO.
*See the "Charge" section at 500e Top Tips & Tricks 2013 - 2019

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At nearly any speed, for that long a commute you'll almost certainly want at least ONE of the following:
  • 240V outlet at home* & adapted stock chargecord*.
  • Unrestricted access to wall outlets* near enough to home AND work.
  • Upcoming DCFC kit* AND convenient access to a public CHAdeMO.
*See the "Charge" section at 500e Top Tips & Tricks 2013 - 2019

One corner of the employee lot light post has a std 120v outlet ive seen not sure if it works but i could use the slow L1 EVSE into that post supposedly while i am work. Since i spend 11hrs at work i guess id get a fairly good amount of charge even at L1. Currently i dont have L2 chargers, this is my first EV car so ill have to do with public chargers and my 120v EVSE for now until i can get a NEMA 14-50 installed somewhere.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Note I wrote you only need ONE of those option sets. If you can get the employee outlet to work, 11 hours there should add at least 55% to your State Of Charge. If you can also plug into 120 at home, 8 hours of sleep should add at least 40% SOC. An hour for TV, breakfast, shower, etc & it adds up to 100%.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note I wrote you only need ONE of those option sets. If you can get the employee outlet to work, 11 hours there should add at least 55% to your State Of Charge. If you can also plug into 120 at home, 8 hours of sleep should add at least 40% SOC. An hour for TV, breakfast, shower, etc & it adds up to 100%.
I just got it yesterday so i havent tried but i wonder if i charge and both ends ill have enough range to keep going back and forth without having to plug in anywhere else.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am really trying to avoid public chargers as ones around here always got douches who park gassers in the stall or guys who have Ev aren't even plugged in. (Yea i know bad etiquette) I also dont want to go places i dont have any business as this car with no DCFC its gonna be painful to be somewhere i dont need to be....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Even driving 65 in the right lane will make a world of difference in your overall range. I don't pay too much attention to the speed in the morning, but rather the kW consumption. I just try and keep it under 20 kW

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do a 115 km (72 mi) commute with a 2016 model, mountain highway. It's possible down to +5 C (41 F) and 90 km/h. Below that temperature or faster than that speed, I need a top up. So if you have L1 at work, no problemo.

At home, plan a L2 eventually. Anything else is a workaround.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Thanks fiatatat. For the metric-challenged, 90km/h is only about 55mph.

Personally I don't consider simply plugging in at home & at work to be a "workaround". I consider that standard procedure for my car, laptop, & phone, although in my case it's really "just in case", not a necessity.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i wonder if i charge and both ends ill have enough range to keep going back and forth without having to plug in anywhere else.
At this point, there is not enough information to know. You'll have to actually try making the trip to get a better idea of how much energy is consumed for your trip and driving conditions. Range will also vary depending on outside temperature. Even SoCal occasionally gets cold enough that your range may fall below what you need. One thing for sure is that you'd better have contingency plans and become familiar with locations of public chargers in case you run low.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For you seasoned EVers can you tell me which network of chargers are best to go with perhaps by location, and price I’ve seen some so expensive you might as well driver a gasser.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks fiatatat. For the metric-challenged, 90km/h is only about 55mph.

Personally I don't consider simply plugging in at home & at work to be a "workaround". I consider that standard procedure for my car, laptop, & phone, although in my case it's really "just in case", not a necessity.
What I'm trying to say is that a full L2 at home (6.6 kW; 4 hrs from 0 to 100) gives you significantly more flexibility than L1 (22 or so hrs) or the L1 hack (10 or so hrs) at home. Plus, the efficiency of L1 charging is around 5 percent lower (A comparison of electric vehicle Level 1 and Level 2 charging efficiency - IEEE Conference Publication).

And sure, plugging L1 at work gives A LOT.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so I drove the car home from the dealer 39.6 miles from a full charge left with 52% charge and “46 mile range” from the guessometer driving a fairly steady 70mph in fairly light traffic.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For paid chargers I've used Chargepoint almost exclusively. I was able to find some free chargers through the plugshare app and have used them successfully as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For paid chargers I've used Chargepoint almost exclusively. I was able to find some free chargers through the plugshare app and have used them successfully as well.
Yes I setup a account for that already as it seems most popular. I've seen a few malls with "Volta" free chargers but almost always has someone occupying it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts