Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fields Fiat of Orlando installed MagnaFlow catback exhaust system yesterday. Total time including having to adjust piping joints was approx. 1 1/2 hours. Kudos to Lucas, Service Manager; Clarence, Tech; Larry Taylor, Studio Director.

Sorry guys, no video or sound clips. Does sound like the You Tube Fiat 500 MagnaFlow clip with the white 500. Very mellow sound. Like Fiat 124 Spider of Mid 70's only louder.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk City car Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Pipe Muffler Auto part Exhaust system Vehicle Automotive exhaust Suspension Pipe Auto part Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Muffler Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
176 Posts
We installed one too and the owner is extremely happy. Deeeep sound, not loud at all, zero drone on highway.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We installed one too and the owner is extremely happy. Deeeep sound, not loud at all, zero drone on highway.
Absolutely AWESOME! I was amazed, the cockpit was actually quieter than with the stock exhaust system. The annoying 'growl' that used to emanate from the stock resonator when accelerating was magically obliterated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Absolutely AWESOME! I was amazed, the cockpit was actually quieter than with the stock exhaust system. The annoying 'growl' that used to emanate from the stock resonator when accelerating was magically obliterated.
Did you feel any added power in the lower rpm range? I speed most of my time there trying to keep above 40mpg, but going up hills at around 50mph in 5th barely keeps up with the speed. I would like to add enough power where I don't have to floor it to maintain speed.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Why are these systems over $700?! An example of gouging the consumer. My Audi and Volvo use almost double the material and cost me $535 per car on sale, $749 regular price. I'll get one built for the Fiat by a local shop for half the asking price.

Reactions: tec-9-7

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you feel any added power in the lower rpm range? I speed most of my time there trying to keep above 40mpg, but going up hills at around 50mph in 5th barely keeps up with the speed. I would like to add enough power where I don't have to floor it to maintain speed.
We don't really have hills, let alone steep hills here in Central Florida. I wouldn't trust my 'butt dyno' to advise you one way or the other. However, based on what you are looking for, I'd suggest a combination good exhaust system plus an enhanced air intake system (or low restriction filter like K&N) to get a measurable increase in power output.

Also I must confess that I rarely if ever use the engine like its Italian Heritage intended. Someone posted gear ratios the other day and it looks like both 4th and 5th are overdrive gears so leaving it in 4th on the upside of those hills shouldn't do much damage to gas mileage.

Will try to make it to FFO in July of 2012...who knows what I'll have installed by then!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are these systems over $700?! An example of gouging the consumer. My Audi and Volvo use almost double the material and cost me $535 per car on sale, $749 regular price. I'll get one built for the Fiat by a local shop for half the asking price.
Not so much different from the price differences you quoted. The suggested retail for the MagnaFlow is approx. $945.00. carID offers it for $730.53 free shipping. (of course if I'd waited 8 days I could have snagged another $50 off). So you're looking at over $200 below suggested retail. Do I think parts for these cars are expensive, YES, but it's either wait till the new has worn off or pay it. If you're lucky enough to know someone/shop that can do this quality work then, of course, go for it. Unfortunately, I don't.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Up and down hills is definitely a weak spot for the little FIAT, put it on cruise and it'll be all over the RPM range!
Guess I'll get to experience some of that next year if I go to the FFO in Charlottesville, VA. I doubt the manual will fluctuate as much as the automatic...and I'll probably take it off cruise anyway if the hills get big.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Guess I'll get to experience some of that next year if I go to the FFO in Charlottesville, VA. I doubt the manual will fluctuate as much as the automatic...and I'll probably take it off cruise anyway if the hills get big.
I imagine the manual will do a better job but it is pretty annoying how much the auto fluctuates.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

we have a few steep hills here on of which is Near my apartment. After I added an intake from road race and a catback exhaust the increase in power was very noticeable. Now for hills i just keep it in third and there is a sweet spot around 4000 rpm where the car feels really peppy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts