Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I love the RRM and Competizione exhaust, however I don't have $600 or $1,000 to spare. Today I went to my buddy's muffler shop. We cut the OEM muffler and added a 14" offset/center magnaflow muffler. We welded it in place and was done. We left the center resonator intact. The sound is deep, but not loud. Sounds good. Is like a deep humm. Does not sound like a ricer Honda. I have pics, but I'm computer stupid. I can email them to you if you like. Email me at [email protected]. Performance... A little better throttle response down low, mid range stayed the same, top end made more hp. Between 4,500-6,000rpm.
I'll write a new review after I put about 200-300 miles. The ECU should see a difference in exhaust flow.
I'll try to post pics, if not just email me.

My buddy's shop does scca IT race cars. He picked the best set up for back pressure and flow ratio. Looks pretty stock too. The muffler he picked is straight thru design, though is offset providing the necessary back pressure with enough flow. In other words, the inside of the muffler is unobstructed, but is an S shape per say. I was charged $100, but regular customer, he would charge $200. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, I love the RRM and Competizione exhaust, however I don't have $600 or $1,000 to spare. Today I went to my buddy's muffler shop. We cut the OEM muffler and added a 14" offset/center magnaflow muffler. We welded it in place and was done. We left the center resonator intact. The sound is deep, but not loud. Sounds good. Is like a deep humm. Does not sound like a ricer Honda. I have pics, but I'm computer stupid. I can email them to you if you like. Email me at [email protected]. Performance... A little better throttle response down low, mid range stayed the same, top end made more hp. Between 4,500-6,000rpm.
I'll write a new review after I put about 200-300 miles. The ECU should see a difference in exhaust flow.
I'll try to post pics, if not just email me.

My buddy's shop does scca IT race cars. He picked the best set up for back pressure and flow ratio. Looks pretty stock too. The muffler he picked is straight thru design, though is offset providing the necessary back pressure with enough flow. In other words, the inside of the muffler is unobstructed, but is an S shape per say. I was charged $100, but regular customer, he would charge $200. Not bad.
Which model did he use? one with the tip already installed?

[email protected]

Would love some pix and even a video if u got one

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't Post pics with iPhone and my desktop crashed. I'm sending "gotfiat" pics. Hopefully he can post the pics for me. The muffler comes with no tip. I opted to leave it with no tip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after driving it For a while today, I'm thinking of deleting the resonator to get more exhaust sound. I'll put 500 more miles and make a decision. Def sounds nice, but I think my intake is louder than my exhaust. This setup would be ideal for those with the stock intake...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I did the same thing, got a magnaflow muffler and high flow resonator..but after driving it for a few days, I went back to the shop and they took out the resonator and thats the way to go, otherwise its too quiet for my taste

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, after driving it For a while today, I'm thinking of deleting the resonator to get more exhaust sound. I'll put 500 more miles and make a decision. Def sounds nice, but I think my intake is louder than my exhaust. This setup would be ideal for those with the stock intake...

What intake do you have?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'll rethink about deleting the resonator. Sounds real nice now just not loud enough. I don't like super loud either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: my 500 has now the stock intake with paper filter and the Magnaflow axel back.
Wife's is all stock minus Competizione drop in filter.
Today we did some 3rd & 4th gear roll-ons. They are side by side until they hit 4,000 rpm. Magnaflow 500 starts to pull away little by little. When red line is reached on the 4th gear roll-on, I had a full car length advantage. Bottom line, a performance axel-back, especially a straight-thru design will give you some performance. No loss in bottom end since I kept the same pipe diameter...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Update: my 500 has now the stock intake with paper filter and the Magnaflow axel back.
Wife's is all stock minus Competizione drop in filter.
Today we did some 3rd & 4th gear roll-ons. They are side by side until they hit 4,000 rpm. Magnaflow 500 starts to pull away little by little. When red line is reached on the 4th gear roll-on, I had a full car length advantage. Bottom line, a performance axel-back, especially a straight-thru design will give you some performance. No loss in bottom end since I kept the same pipe diameter...
I may have missed it but you stated the intake was the best mod you had done yet you switched back to stock box with paper filter...was this just for testing purposes or did you switch back for a reason? I have read the intake sounds great and adds to the feel in the powerband but in some instances I have read it makes little to no difference and we should just use a better filter and leave the stock airbox intact. :confused:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test purposes. The intake by far gives it more hp/tq from down low to redline. I'm selling the intake, because we put a deposit for an Abarth, however wife is keeping her 500c and she doesn't want the intake since she cruises on her Fiat. We boys tend to modify everything we get our hands on. Hehehe

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Test purposes. The intake by far gives it more hp/tq from down low to redline. I'm selling the intake, because we put a deposit for an Abarth, however wife is keeping her 500c and she doesn't want the intake since she cruises on her Fiat. We boys tend to modify everything we get our hands on. Hehehe
I am almost completely certain I would like to snag your intake, I mentioned it when I realized the mention in another thread, by this time next week I would like to have ordered yours or one like it, just gotta check a few things Mon/Tues and then start ordering, probably be at the least a few grand spent after already having the 22K sticker which I opted to finance rather than buy out right. Really looking forward down the road to some engine mods and turbo or supercharge options and other bigger power gains. :cool:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Did the dealer give you a cost on the abarth or when it will be available?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts