Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport. I just did a clutch job on a car, the shifter only on the right side doesn't return to center. I have to pull the reverse lock out to get into fifth gear. But, there is also no fifth gear. I can basically move the shifter in circles. I have checked the shifter linkages, it's moving, the cables are good. It is connected, to transmission. Maybe I'm missing some kind of adjustment, something broke. The first time I did the clutch job on this car, and put it all together it was fine and shifted perfectly, now when I once again took it apart and changed the rear main seal, doing nothing different that happened.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Does it possibly relate to this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport. I just did a clutch job on a car, the shifter only on the right side doesn't return to center. I have to pull the reverse lock out to get into fifth gear. But, there is also no fifth gear. I can basically move the shifter in circles. I have checked the shifter linkages, it's moving, the cables are good. It is connected, to transmission. Maybe I'm missing some kind of adjustment, something broke. The first time I did the clutch job on this car, and put it all together it was fine and shifted perfectly, now when I once again took it apart and changed the rear main seal, doing nothing different that happened.

Thanks.
I have same problem with my daughter's 2013 500 Pop. The initial trouble was no 1, 2, 5, or Rev. Only 3rd, & 4th gear would work. Note, in the attached photos the second one shows a linkage arm with a retaining nut. The nut had backed almost all the way off, which when correctly reattached, 1st & 2nd gear started working again. She is currently driving it without 5th or reverse and makes sure she parks w/o having to backup. Does anyone know how in the heck to fix this problem w/o costing a small fortune??? o_O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Em, looks like you are missing the hairpin spring(?) there. That's the return spring.
Where is the "Hairpin Spring" located and how to fix. Same problem with the stick shift not returning to the center fromt the right positions. Very sloppy on that side & again, no 5th or Reverse gears. How will that spring make the missing gears work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, can you take off your shift boot, the the plastic rim with the window switches can be pulled off by hand if you slide backwards towards the back of the car. Take a picture of left side like I did, I want to see if we have the same problem, because I think we are both missing that spring.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Where is the "Hairpin Spring" located and how to fix. Same problem with the stick shift not returning to the center fromt the right positions. Very sloppy on that side & again, no 5th or Reverse gears. How will that spring make the missing gears work?
This is the left side of the shifter assembly. As you can see, there is a hairpin spring(?) there that sandwiches the knob sticking out from the shifter lever. The first picture posted by ethan looks to be missing the spring. Though, to be clear, this doesn't have anything to do with missing the 5th and reverse, unless the spring fell off and dislodged somewhere preventing the movement, but I have no idea how that is possible. Abarth does have a slightly different spring than the one pictured here, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn’t find any spring or anything. This car hasn’t moved from since, it working fine, to this now. That also was for an abarth. I have a sport, not sure if their different. But it wouldn’t make sense for a spring to be missing because can go horizontal without any gates on the shifter. From First to Fifth horizontal, I can basically do circles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I couldn’t find any spring or anything. This car hasn’t moved from since, it working fine, to this now. That also was for an abarth. I have a sport, not sure if their different. But it wouldn’t make sense for a spring to be missing because can go horizontal without any gates on the shifter. From First to Fifth horizontal, I can basically do circles.
Yes, you are missing a spring, that is for sure. The picture I posted is from a Sport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I’ll take apart this dash till I find it I guess. I may aswell put shungit in my engine 147k miles and hopes and dreams for this boat anchor.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Okay, I’ll take apart this dash till I find it I guess. I may aswell put shungit in my engine 147k miles and hopes and dreams for this boat anchor.
When and how did you start having this particular problem? Is it possible that the spring fell off?, though I've never heard that happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed the clutch, it was fine, then the rear main I installed had issues (I didn’t install properly). I fixed that and now i’m here. The car hasn’t moved in over a month. It’s been rough, I am not a mechanic but want to learn and definitely have. I think it was me fiddling with stuff trying to get the clutch to work. But it was because I didn’t bleed the slave cylinder correctly after installing a new one. I also can’t find it, so I don’t know if this car ever had one to be honest. I bought the car at ~100k miles for really cheap, its been through alot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts