Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Best fuel econ for me has been with hightest. The fuel door says it runs 87 but recommends 91.

Reactions: johnboy60

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want more power, extend engine life, and make at least a minimal nod toward the planet's air quality, use premium - a few hundred extra bucks over the life a $20K car doesn't seem like a big deal to me...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It runs fine on 87. 91 is not a must. I almost always use 91 though, and to me it does seem to run with a bit more pep.

Reactions: johnboy60

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agree with the more pep comment. I always use BP 93. The highest octane here in Minneapolis. But I want more 'fun' from my Fiat vs 'economy'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Money isn't an issue.I was just curious. It seems Mini owners have an ongoing debate about using premium in their cars. I wondered if the same debate was being held by Fiat owners.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've used Shell 93 octane. the only exceptions were the original full tank provided by the dealer (87 octane Marathon) and 2 tanks I tried Shell 87 octane for comparison.

IMO the car runs better on 93 BUT because it does, I'm on the gas more and probably lose what mpg gain I might get with the higher octane.

around here its only about $1.50+ per tank more difference.

but I HAVE noticed a difference between Shell and other brands. haven't tried this with my 500, but my previous car....a Charger, I used BP for a couple years and when I switched to Shell, my mpgs DROPPED about 10%. went back to BP and it was right back up there were I was. I think Shell uses more additives........:(

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I run 91 octane. That's as high as it gets here. My gas milage, is always higher when I use a higher octane.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you want more power, extend engine life, and make at least a minimal nod toward the planet's air quality, use premium - a few hundred extra bucks over the life a $20K car doesn't seem like a big deal to me...
exactly what I was going to post.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I started out using 87 octane but switched to 93. Cost about $3.00 more per fill up but car runs better, more power and better MPG. I figured that the additional MPG I get offsets the 3 bucks more I pay. Works for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Even if it is $.30 more for a gallon of premium, it is less than a 10% premium over what you pay for regular. There is no reason not to.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
here, 93 is 20 cents more than 87.

$2 if I am dead empty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the deal on octane: If the manufacturer recommends a specific octane, you will get the maximum available performance from that fuel. Switching to a higher octane will not net any advantage re: power or efficiency.

Conversely, in MODERN vehicles (without mechanical distributors), if you run a lower octane, you will not damage the vehicle, but you will get reduced performance, because the engine's computer will back off the ignition timing to reduce detonation (which will likely destroy a piston otherwise) and this will result in lower bhp at a given rpm.

The octane requirement is directly related to the compression ratio of the engine (as determined by the architecture of the piston).

Having said all this I was completely UNAWARE that our little 500s had a 91 octane requirement. The dealer told me 87 and like a fool, I took him at his word. Guess I'll go check the manual today. Hopefully, this is the case, because it means there's a little more poke available in this engine that I have yet to exploit. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having said all this I was completely UNAWARE that our little 500s had a 91 octane requirement. The dealer told me 87 and like a fool, I took him at his word. Guess I'll go check the manual today. Hopefully, this is the case, because it means there's a little more poke available in this engine that I have yet to exploit. :)
I just got mine two weeks ago and it is printed right on the inside of the fule door, 91 Octane Recommended, Minimum 87.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have been running 87 since day one and haven't noticed any problems. That being said, I filled up with 91 from empty and took a 350Km trip yesterday. I can't say I noticed a big difference in out right power but the car deffinitly seemed less laboured, especially when climbing hills without a down shift. I also recorded 5.1L/100 or 46.2 mpg avg on the trip without trying for mpg. Going to keep an eye on mpg. If the increase pays for most of the fuel upgrade ($4-5 per tank) then its a no brainer. I'll shut up now

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have been running 87 since day one and haven't noticed any problems. That being said, I filled up with 91 from empty and took a 350Km trip yesterday. I can't say I noticed a big difference in out right power but the car deffinitly seemed less laboured, especially when climbing hills without a down shift. I also recorded 5.1L/100 or 46.2 mpg avg on the trip without trying for mpg. Going to keep an eye on mpg. If the increase pays for most of the fuel upgrade ($4-5 per tank) then its a no brainer. I'll shut up now

Pretty certain you'll find the desire to run the higher octane, I really think overall the cost to benefit balances out in the end. :cool:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts