Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a 17 year old guy who fell in love with the 500 Abarth after the Doug DeMuro video. Still not old enough to buy a car in my state, but as I'm only 1 year away, I figure better start looking now. Anyone know any good widebody kits, engine parts, ecu tunes? basically anything basic regarding modding your 2012+ Fiat 500 Abarth would be greatly appreciated! Really looking forward to officially joining this community when I buy my first Abarth (5 speed of course)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good on you.

Glad to see a young guy interested in cars. If you are looking for ideas check out Valley Crew Racing on YouTube. I believe they are sponsored or they have generous parents.

A few suggestions from an old hot rodder.

Don't buy someone else's project.

If you can't drive it home don't even bother to look at it.

Don't buy a car with lots of modifications, stick to stock if you can. I know it's tough to find an older one that hasn't been messed with but it's likely worth it in the long run. Not everyone is a good wrench.

The car you buy is the foundation of your build, get the absolute best one you can find. If you have to spend down your budget for mods or reach a little to get that car, do it. You will have a car you can drive while you save up for the fun stuff, and a stock Abarth is still a hoot.

Go slow and aim low. Start with easy stuff that should take a couple of hours, it'll likely take you longer and until you finish you are a pedestrian.

You mentioned a wide body kit, body work and paint is wicked hard and even harder to do well. If you've never done it, don't try.

Build your list of resources, family and friends that can help you out. You will likely need them, I did and I still do. Turbos and tunes are not native to me. I'm more comfortable with cubes and carbs.

Good luck and have fun. Just remember to play safe.

Will

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What Will said, for sure.

I'll add that you need to know your car first before modding it. Drive it, live with it, understand it before buying any parts. You may find that it's just right the way you have it. Don't be in a rush. Save your money and only mod what needs to be modded or upgraded to make the car what you want it to be. Right out of the box, the Abarth 500 is pretty dang good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 20 years old and also planning to get my first car as an Abarth. Not trying to mod it immediately rn but still considering the prices. Have you seen any good deals around your area? Mine is always 15k+ for any clean history and condition abarth :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Pomac,

Now is not the time for deals I'm afraid. Lots of $ chasing few goods.

I saw a '12 or '13 two weeks ago w/20k and (supposedly) no accidents for $9,500. I would have bit myself but if I brought home another one my wife would have me sleeping in it, probably with the dogs.

Keep looking and don't buy junk because you get tired or desperate.

Will

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's the car:

FYI I have not seen it. I have no interest in any potential transaction and I'm only posting a link to this car for informational purposes.

But if I hadn't just bought my 2018 I would go look at it. For those of you that do not live in the Northeast, if those are real pictures of the undercarriage this car has not seen snow and consequently salt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Learn how to drive manual well. Rev match downshifts, double clutch, no hanging clutch shifts, understand trying to get into 1st while moving just wears out syncro unless double clutch, always pause shifting into reverse to let internal gears stop spinning otherwise crunches (like most manuals). Learn to not lug motor (ever). Always warm up engine fully before leaning into it. Learn to shuffle steer or get comfortable driving this way as you will either always not like italian cars driving position or absolutely love it and wish everyone who does complain about it shut it and learn to drive properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tip? Be patient 😉. 17 years gone, only 1 to go 😁.

Use the time to educate yourself and gathering information. Enjoy the pre-fun reading the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts