Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
To me, the 2017 with 11k miles is a no brainer. Still has bumper to bumper warranty, under $10k, and the grey is a nice neutral color. Plus it is in driving distance!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Ya, the grey seems nice, unless the "skunk" strip really bothers you. If it does, the sky blue....(more below)

..."We take the manufacturers Powertrain Warranty and extend it for as long as you own your vehicle. It's good for an unlimited time and unlimited miles! Just do the factory scheduled maintenance."...

...Not liking the orange accents on the wheel covers though and the price is past $10,000 though it does have a sunroof
- If you want to talk yourself out of a sunroof, it does add weight, & for acceleration, braking & handling it's in nearly the worst, highest place. The only worse place is behind the axle at the wing, although that could help braking weight transfer. 3 cars ago I had a sunroof & my last car was a convertible, but I don't really miss it. EV is so quiet you hear everything else even with the windows up. I love that I can now listen clearly to any R8 or Lambo driving by.

- Stock wheels' only redeeming factor is low drag. They're very heavy, & are 1" narrower on the front, which makes proper rotation cost more than a good set of 4 matching light wheels that rotate free. The width difference also makes the understeer worse, although they make it better if you swap front-to-back.

- I thought the blue was more like "sky" than "baby", although it's hard to tell from a picture on a screen. Either way, color doesn't affect performance much, except that lighter colors are a bit quicker in warm climates because they don't use as much A/C power (vice-versa in Norway). Also makes it even more of a sleeper so your "man card" is even more easily redeemed when you blow their doors off.

- Besides any warranty still in effect (which can also allow its extension, which seems really nice if true from that dealer), much like buying a used gas car, you can't really tell all that much from total miles OR total age. Like in a gas car where low miles might mean high wear due to trips that are too short to warm it up. Of course that doesn't apply to an EV. That was a surprise bonus for me: Just turn it on stone cold & immediately floor it straight out the driveway!

- In a gas car you consider the engine & it's brand. In an EV it's the drive battery & its brand. Our liquid-cooled Samsung SDIs seem to have very gradual, linear aging, with a couple of users doing the most accurate test (as above) reporting under 2.3% loss per 10k miles. If your drive is a typical 40 miles daily, it would still do that after about 235,000 miles. So think of it like an engine that typically lasts that long: Yes, it could be abused to death much earlier, or babied to last even longer, but generally it's a pretty safe bet.

- Another forum member pointed out that while you may now be considering this to be a secondary "toy" car, it will quite likely become your primary one for any trip where it's applicable (not for groups of 5 or picking up a fridge). Once you have one it starts to feel rather counter-productive to take a more unwieldy vehicle that takes so much more money/time to maintain. My best friend got one & whenever she was home her husband & kids would take it instead of their own cars. Apparently this is a very common EV situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hum, will have to see if different wheels Options based on package ordered...
Stock wheels' only redeeming factor is low drag. They're very heavy, & are 1" narrower on the front, which makes proper rotation cost more than a good set of 4 matching light wheels that rotate free. The width difference also makes the understeer worse, although they make it better if you swap front-to-back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Btw, I was unfaithful today. Test drove a used mx5 prht. It was a hoot I have to say. Just cost more then I wanted to spend in the end.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Hum, will have to see if different wheels Options based on package ordered...
Sorry (again!). When I wrote here*: Run or Walk away from a used 2013 Fiat 500e...or

I forgot to mention that the "Sport" wheels are identical except for little orange plastic trim rings that only slow it down a bit with 0.25% more total vehicle drag, compared to the base model's black plastic hole covers.

* "No model year ever had any choice of interior or anything else other than:
  • Paint color
  • Sunroof
  • "Sport" stripes/wheelswheelTRIM/BLACKOUT-headlights."

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
As for the "skunk" stripe of that nice grey one, I believe it's mainly/only the front seats, & I believe Abarth or other 500 seats from a wreck will bolt right in (check this forum's threads).

I believe seat heaters will even hook up with a little work on the plugs that are reversed male/female compared to ours. I think you need to snap the pins out of the seat plugs, & snap the old plugs onto the new seat's wires. Or maybe it's easier to put the old seat's plug on our supply side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Drove a 2017 with 11k miles for $8,700 today. No sunroof and white strip seats. Was told the sunroof models only have a thin slide cover, not a fabric board slide cover. That rules a sunroof model out as it would push too much heat down into the car I feel.

The 2017 was clean, gray with just a some small scratches on center fo back bumper which I could live with. Issue would be more with range. I have a rental house, well it was, 100 from my place. I can check for charging stations along the way, doubt there are many free ones. Even doing that, and using a Level 2 charger, would be such trips doable. Even if I got there would need to do an overnight stay to charge to go home. Plus a lot of highway driving of at least 60 mpg, some places speed limit is 70 (guessing legal to drive 10 under). I know high speed really drains the batteries.

Indeed, this is just a city car I figure. Which leads me to my note awaking lol. Saw a used bmw i3, one with just the battery pack and other with the tiny backup engine which will add another 80 /- miles once battery back drains (the engine sends juice to the battery pack sort of like a Chevy volt more less.

Carmax has a battery only i3, they failed to charge it before I got there so left. Will go drive it tomorrow then drive down south to drive the one with the engine backup. Both at least double the cost of the used 2017 500e. Interesting things out there to check out that is for sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you are in the price range of i3's, then you may was well start looking at Chevy Bolts. A Bolt can make a 200 mile trip at highway speeds with only a very short DCFC charge somewhere in the middle.

The 500e isn't a travel car. Never designed, nor marketed to be one. Great for commuting. Doable for some trips outside it's total daily range. But it has its limitations.

Once you get into i3 territory, with the flood of Bolts on the market in that same price range, it (the i3) simply isn't worth getting.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Indeed, right toy for right job :)
Seems auto traders that have ‘buyers’ licenses can lock in these off lease 500e’s then resale them at mark up. Nothing wrong with that mind you, would just be nice to be able to purchase from a private owner at a discount maybe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Indeed, right toy for right job :)
Seems auto traders that have ‘buyers’ licenses can lock in these off lease 500e’s then resale them at mark up. Nothing wrong with that mind you, would just be nice to be able to purchase from a private owner at a discount maybe.
Private seller will likely be a third hand car from someone who bought it from a dealer with a buyer's license and marked up the price. So I wouldn't expect to save much from a private seller.

Not sure I would ever consider the I3 when you can get a Bolt for similar money. The 500e still is the best deal out there IMO if it meets your driving needs. If you plan on making 200 mile round trips on a regular basis, the 500e is probably not ideal. I have taken 180 mile round trips to Irvine from San Diego to see the opera or ballet with my wife. The performance typically lasts around 3 hours. We would then go to the mall for 40 minutes or so to let the car finish charging. So 90 mile one way trips are possible with freeway driving + stop and go, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't comfortable pushing limits. 100 mile trips are really not practical IMO - you would likely have to stop at some point and charge for a bit to make sure you get to your destination. The Bolt would be a much better option for this type of trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did find a local Level 2 charger (7watt or so think it was though could be wrong). It is .6 miles from my house so for certain walking distance. It is free to use...so the sign says. image000000.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So is there a 'best' way so far as app(s) to use for charging stations plus a way to overlay that with a radius circle in miles from one's home? I found mapdevelopers.com tool though that does not combine radius info with charging station information. Would be nice to be able to grid a, say 60 to 70 mile circle from either home or where ever one might be at any point in time to gauge what distance one can travel. As well as map out charging locations (free ones would be a bonus). Of course one has to factor in charging time to see what is worth doing if traveling from home even if just for a day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So is there a 'best' way so far as app(s) to use for charging stations plus a way to overlay that with a radius circle in miles from one's home? I found mapdevelopers.com tool though that does not combine radius info with charging station information. Would be nice to be able to grid a, say 60 to 70 mile circle from either home or where ever one might be at any point in time to gauge what distance one can travel. As well as map out charging locations (free ones would be a bonus). Of course one has to factor in charging time to see what is worth doing if traveling from home even if just for a day.
That's significant overthink. Anything that's within range isn't worth bothering about. A specific destination that is likely out of range can be solved with a short Plugshare search of that destination.

As typical city cars, one gets a feel for available charging stations as you drive around. Just like gas stations, there will be a small handful in each area that one will tend to use. Once acclimated, there really isn't much of a need for real time surveillance.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
get what you are saying. seems to be a lot of charging stations and some are free. Though then again it is a question of 'time' vs charging at home, Could do a 89 mile trip though would have to stop for an hour to juice up I figure well a bit longer to be safe.

Figure one should not think this way though it would be sort of 'fun' to drive it for free without having to pay to charge it. Value of time comes into the picture when not hear home. Think a sales guy figure it cost about $20 for 1,000 miles of driving though possible I got that wrong plus different kwhr charges based on where one lives and if they pay to use a charging station.

Since my free charge station is only 1 mile there and back figure it would force me to get some exercise during my walk. Darn, hope people don't go around stealing charging cables...wonder if there are good 'locks' sold to prevent that from occuring. Never know with people now days it seems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
No, more like the Moon lol. Indeed, the cable is attached to the charger. My Pea mind was focused on that darn cable that comes with the car and did not stop to think a moment it is not used at a charging station. Dam, I can never have a 500e member card patch if I get the car now that I have asked that question. Hum, maybe I can change my name...

·
Registered
268 Posts
No, more like the Moon lol. Indeed, the cable is attached to the charger. My Pea mind was focused on that darn cable that comes with the car and did not stop to think a moment it is not used at a charging station. Dam, I can never have a 500e member card patch if I get the car now that I have asked that question. Hum, maybe I can chance my name...
No worries. I guarantee you that each and every one of us had to learn everything we are sharing with you.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Due to initial outlay cost, I elected to get a used pt cruiser turbo convertible 07 model listed on FB Marketplace. It popped up on the radar screen just yesterday and seller is dropping it off at the dealer for inspection this morning.

It has 122k miles on it though interior looks clean (cloth), it is a Touring model...sadly...not GT (don’t think this one even has abs brakes) and an 80 year old guy that used to own a body shop did a lot of work replacing various parts worn out. Was not a focus on my find a retired play car, non DD, though I do like how they look and based on photos and then seeing it felt it would worked for me.

For certain a world away from a Fiat 500e and maybe in the end could cost me more in upkeep then the Fiat 500e would though it felt nice driving it with the top down so hope it will be a fun retirement car.

‘Settled’ for the drop top experience over the pleasure of a silent ride that a battery base vehicle would offer. Well at least I have my Toyota Highlander hybrid that allows me to run on battery only at different times.

Maybe down the road an ev will eniter the stable though presently, at $4,000 used instead of $8,700 for the 500e, this pc cruiser will have to get me by. Now that I am retired the amount of play $ available for a run about 2nd car is less then when I was working.

Thank you to each of you that offered input as I researched a 500e. This site had a great group of people dedicated to the 500e and each of you indeed love the ride that car offers and I agree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw a used 2013 base 500e today with under 40k miles on it and only two owner. Will take it to dealer Friday to have it inspected. Don’t know if the service department can tell me what life is in the batteries presently. I would think both age and usage makes them degrade over time. Maybe a car not having a lot of miles on it is worst then a car with a lot of miles on it.

Don’t know, this purchase might be a roll of the dice even if inspection comes back ok. Will cost $6,600 so hoping that is not too high a price, body is in pretty good shape and so is the inside.

Someone wish me luck or tell me not to buy it please lol.
New post, tried to do one prior though maybe it got lost or I don’t know where it was posted.
Price seems to be a little high. I’m selling my 2016 e for $6900. 49,000 miles, power sunroof, clean. Priced to sell.
The one you are buying is $1000 high. You should Negotiate.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts