Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a 500e as a second car and was wondering if mileage differences mean much to these cars. I live in Norway and most of the imported ones from the US range between 20k miles and 50k miles on the clock. The ones with 50k miles driven are usually around 20% cheaper. Would the savings be worth it? What kind of issues would I be looking at with a car that's gone more?

·
Registered
23 Posts
November 2019
Bought 2013 500e 73k
Previous owner maintenance tires only.
My maintenance rear left wheel bearing and rear disc rotors and pads. Lubricant steering wheel column for clunks and noise.
Satisfied with Fiat L1 EVSE.
Current mileage 76k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well then, it seems these don't really require much service and don't age as badly as ICE cars.
Looking forward to getting my hands on one, hopefully in the few coming weeks :)
I drove a 1.0l version years ago and loved it. This can only be better :)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
If "1.0l" means 1.0 litre gasoline engine: After a few years with a 500e as my only car, I tested a top-end Abarth (1.4L?) & was quite disappointed by the delayed sluggish city acceleration from any speed (including zero) except from about 25mph. 500e rear isn't as good on bumps though, but it's fairly easy/cheap to diy bolt-on upgrade shocks.

500e is the best daily car* I've ever driven, in over 40 years of driving, & more fun than even my Toyota MR2 Spyder or my V8-powered 5-spd Datsun 240Z.

As for service, you still need to check all the fluids (like brakes, windshield washer & TWO completely separate cooling systems!), 12V battery lasts 23 months to 7 years (carry a portable jumpstarter), suspension/brake inspection & cabin air filter replacement every 2 years.

As for aging, the HV drive battery seems quite robust, losing maybe 6% range in 26k miles (42k Km), but even after that much use most of us still get more than the EPA range. With VERY few exceptions, everyone else on this forum, even those with 75-100k miles, have had no unexpected problems that weren't fixed with a few key cycles, a 1-minute 12V disconnect, or OBD code-clearing.

Make SURE you check that any software updates are done. If you have trouble accessing the Fiat USA website from Europe for that, let us know, & me or someone else here in the US can run some VINs for you.

* "Sucks for roadtrips" would be a huge understatement, but I just borrow/rent for that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't buy a car just because it has a certain mileage... it should have a certain mileage for a given year of manufacture.
For example 20K miles for a 2016 is good. But 20K miles for a 2019-2020 indicates abuse (this car only has a max range of ~90 miles). I would not buy an electric car with an abused battery, engine, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If "1.0l" means 1.0 litre gasoline engine: After a few years with a 500e as my only car, I tested a top-end Abarth (1.4L?) & was quite disappointed by the delayed sluggish city acceleration from any speed (including zero) except from about 25mph. 500e rear isn't as good on bumps though, but it's fairly easy/cheap to diy bolt-on upgrade shocks.

500e is the best daily car* I've ever driven, in over 40 years of driving, & more fun than even my Toyota MR2 Spyder or my V8-powered 5-spd Datsun 240Z.

As for service, you still need to check all the fluids (like brakes, windshield washer & TWO completely separate cooling systems!), 12V battery lasts 23 months to 7 years (carry a portable jumpstarter), suspension/brake inspection & cabin air filter replacement every 2 years.

As for aging, the HV drive battery seems quite robust, losing maybe 6% range in 26k miles (42k Km), but even after that much use most of us still get more than the EPA range. With VERY few exceptions, everyone else on this forum, even those with 75-100k miles, have had no unexpected problems that weren't fixed with a few key cycles, a 1-minute 12V disconnect, or OBD code-clearing.

Make SURE you check that any software updates are done. If you have trouble accessing the Fiat USA website from Europe for that, let us know, & me or someone else here in the US can run some VINs for you.

* "Sucks for roadtrips" would be a huge understatement, but I just borrow/rent for that.
Thank you. That's a ton of useful info :) I'm currently pretty sure that we will make the purchase decision based on color/price/interior color, because most of them have the same production year and features.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't buy a car just because it has a certain mileage... it should have a certain mileage for a given year of manufacture.
For example 20K miles for a 2016 is good. But 20K miles for a 2019-2020 indicates abuse (this car only has a max range of ~90 miles). I would not buy an electric car with an abused battery, engine, etc.
Most of the ones for sale are between 2014 and 2015. At least th3 cheaper ones. There is ine feom 2016, but I don't see much of adofference. The infotainment is bigger/newer, but I'll probably just mount a tablet or something. It's also more expensive and I'm unsure if the infotainment change is worth it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
The infotainment change added:
  • A console USB.
  • A nice knob for volume.
However:
  • I nearly always use the great volume buttons on the back of the steering wheel.
  • An adapter in the 12V socket charges my phone faster than the glovebox USB (where I leave my music flashdrive).
  • I prefer the older console with a phone slot & 3 drink holders, 1 of which fits a wine bottle!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree somewhat. High mileage is not necessarily abuse. Gunning the gas and slamming the brakes are more abusive to the car than high mileage. And in the case of electric cars, I would even say that super low miles cars are even more suspect because the owners could have charged the cars to full and left them parked like that for days at a time. The other extreme could also be true where people could leave their cars at near empty for prolonged periods. Those extreme conditions are more abusive to the battery than constant and normal driving. I've put over 20K miles on my 500e since last November and I can tell you that my car is in no way abused.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was totally freaking out about mileage and battery life when I bought my 2017 with just under 17k. miles in Jan 2020.

I get the 80-85 miles from a charge driving normally around town and pretty sure I could see 10-15% more if I was really careful. Usually I drive it like a getaway car for a bank robbery and its lower like 60-65 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, all of this sounds great. :)
I'm currently looking at a 2015 model with 30k miles on the clock in Luminosa Orange. Hopefully all goes well and we can get the car at the end of the week.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,132 Posts
Gunning the gas and slamming the brakes are more abusive to the car than high mileage. And in the case of electric cars, I would even say that super low miles cars are even more suspect because the owners could have charged the cars to full and left them...
Right, but I'm going to have to disagree somewhat ;) since the 500e is at least partially protected from the latter because it stops charging when the battery is at only about 85% of it's true full capacity. Still not ideal though, especially if it's also really hot, & I think the cooling system turns off once it stops charging.

Momentary high current of strong regenerative braking & acceleration are also not ideal, but the vast majority of the time it has a very gentle current during charging & normal driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a 2014 model with 58k miles on it. It looks and runs like new. I live in a relatively flat area in Southern California and my range is great. Close to 80 miles w/o running the AC. More like 60-65 with AC running. No freeway driving and my regular drive includes long sections at speeds below 30 MPH. Love this little car!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
650 Posts
I’d think quite the opposite. A 2013 with 20k sounds more worrisome makes me think it sat around a lot or just sat plugged in at 100% a lot of times. Mileage doesn’t equate to abuse, it means someone bought it to do what it’s supposed to... drive. I out 25-30k a year on my cars so don’t be surprised to see my 2017 be at 100k in a couple years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a used 2016 Fiat500e with 11,000 miles. Over 35,000 now and I haven’t noticed any difference in driving. I have other cars but consider my Fiat my primary. More fun to drive than any ICE vehicle out there. 23 miles to/from work daily makes the 500e perfect for me. No cheaper way to get from here to here. Best part, I get to miss daily traffic by driving in HOV lane.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
650 Posts
I bought a used 2016 Fiat500e with 11,000 miles. Over 35,000 now and I haven’t noticed any difference in driving. I have other cars but consider my Fiat my primary. More fun to drive than any ICE vehicle out there. 23 miles to/from work daily makes the 500e perfect for me. No cheaper way to get from here to here. Best part, I get to miss daily traffic by driving in HOV lane.
The HOV lane was the kicker for me, everyday I watched Tesla’s and bolts drive by in envy while I sat there stuck in my gasser. It’s my turn now 😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a 500e as a second car and was wondering if mileage differences mean much to these cars. I live in Norway and most of the imported ones from the US range between 20k miles and 50k miles on the clock. The ones with 50k miles driven are usually around 20% cheaper. Would the savings be worth it? What kind of issues would I be looking at with a car that's gone more?
Other than brakes, bearings, etc, I don’t know that there’s that much difference. There is an 8 year warranty on the battery, but I’m not sure how that would work in Norway.

I live in a cold climate, so be aware that in sub freezing temps your range will be awful. Mine is about 60 miles tops below 0° C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the input. I've ordered a 2015 model in luminosa orange with 30k miles on it so it should still be fine. It's being sold by a company that imports a ton of these, so battery warranty should be fine if it comes to that, but I doubt it. Everything I read makes me think these cars (and probably most other EVs) are much more trouble-free than ICE cars.
Really eager to try it out - I don't expect it to be a beast or anything, but it should at least be something new for me as it's my first EV.
As for winter range - the car will be used to drive from/to work which is a 10min drive for me. The longest journey I expect to make is around 60-70km so that should be fine as well.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts