Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
633 Posts
Byorn nyland of Norway a self proclaimed EV advocate and Tesla fanboy did a review not once but twice in the Fiat 500e and he hates it, basically makes it out to be the worst EV ever, but what do you expect from a Tesla fan boy. But I expected that from someone who got not one but 2 free Tesla’s given to him a model x and model 3. He’s reviewed quiet a bit of EV cars in Norway but he really hates the 500e.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Byorn nyland of Norway a self proclaimed EV advocate and Tesla fanboy did a review not once but twice in the Fiat 500e and he hates it, basically makes it out to be the worst EV ever, but what do you expect from a Tesla fan boy. But I expected that from someone who got not one but 2 free Tesla’s given to him a model x and model 3. He’s reviewed quiet a bit of EV cars in Norway but he really hates the 500e.
I wonder if that's because the 500e was designed to be the least "electric" feeling that they could make it be. They wanted it to feel the same as the gas car, so more would accept it.

Yes it's missing tuning on the regen (one pedal driving, etc),
Yes, it doesn't have the torque of the tesla, nor the battery capacity,but that is no big surprise at it's price point

I find that a lot of people who are "into" EV's that i've let drive my 500e don't like it, and usually because it's not shouting to everyone that it's electric.
I love that it's not shouting it's Electric drive. Large LCD's inside with "driving tips" and other BS to distract, just add to the cost and not to the feasibility of the vehicle.
The two things I wish were different about the 1st gen 500e are: tuneable Regen (but you have to turn it on in settings, so it doesn't surprise people) and that damned center console/dash buldge for just 4 buttons..... way too much wasted space behind that thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right, but I'm going to have to disagree somewhat ;) since the 500e is at least partially protected from the latter because it stops charging when the battery is at only about 85% of it's true full capacity. Still not ideal though, especially if it's also really hot, & I think the cooling system turns off once it stops charging.
It's been really hot here in SoCal the last couple of weeks. Last week I went out in the mid-afternoon to charge up the car. After plugging in, I get the dash lights flash on and the "Thunk" sound as usual. As I walked back into the garage, it sounded like the Air Conditioner came on. I went back to the car, it sounded like it was going 60mph standing still. I'm thinking; "maybe it doesn't like being charged when the ambient temperature is over 100 degrees.?" So I unplugged it and decided to go back after sundown.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't like Taylor Swift. She has 86 million fans and I'm not one of them. Tesla has one million cars on the road and is projected to put 500,000 more out there. I don't care what Byorn thinks. I'll buy a Tesla in a heartbeat if somebody will give me a $50,000 down payment.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
633 Posts
It's been really hot here in SoCal the last couple of weeks. Last week I went out in the mid-afternoon to charge up the car. After plugging in, I get the dash lights flash on and the "Thunk" sound as usual. As I walked back into the garage, it sounded like the Air Conditioner came on. I went back to the car, it sounded like it was going 60mph standing still. I'm thinking; "maybe it doesn't like being charged when the ambient temperature is over 100 degrees.?" So I unplugged it and decided to go back after sundown.
Actually would of probably been better as plugged in it runs all the cooling circuits, it will shut it all down if the car is powered off or not plugged in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't like Taylor Swift. She has 86 million fans and I'm not one of them. Tesla has one million cars on the road and is projected to put 500,000 more out there. I don't care what Byorn thinks. I'll buy a Tesla in a heartbeat if somebody will give me a $50,000 down payment.
What i don't like about Tesla is the owners, like many BMW drivers it attracts inconsiderate douchbaggery people. Ive seen everything from a guy who uses a free public charger near my house as a personal garage/charger he drives 2 teslas, plugs one in and takes off in the other, then comes back leaves that tesla and drives home the fully charged, all for the sake of free parking space and electric power. Then there are guys who dont need to charge but parks in the charger space because "EV", then there are tesla people who plug into the only L2 charger in the lot when there is a Tesla stations across the way, just bad etiquette. Yes i know all sorts of EV drivers have bad etiquette too but worst offenders ive seen are tesla drivers. I mean WTF people? Then there are these kinds lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's been a while since I watched his 500e reviews, but from what I recall, he treated the car like a $40k long distance cruiser. He seemed to completely ignore that the car was marketed/designed for the Western US with lease deals under $100 a month as mostly a city car/commuter car. IMO his reviews just made him look like a whiny baby.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's been a while since I watched his 500e reviews, but from what I recall, he treated the car like a $40k long distance cruiser. He seemed to completely ignore that the car was marketed/designed for the Western US with lease deals under $100 a month as mostly a city car/commuter car. IMO his reviews just made him look like a whiny baby.
Exactly, which is why ignored it and still bought the car as there isnt anything better for the used EV price point. Funny thing is he seems to like the Leaf more then the Fiat from other reviews.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exactly, which is why ignored it and still bought the car as there isnt anything better for the used EV price point. Funny thing is he seems to like the Leaf more then the Fiat from other reviews.
I looked at the Leaf. It's a nice car but it doesn't have a battery cooling/heating system and the battery degrades rapidly. The warranty covers the battery but it's a combination of percentage loss and time in service. I understand if you look around there are some dealers with a $200. lease program. We are happy with our 500e.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I looked at the Leaf. It's a nice car but it doesn't have a battery cooling/heating system and the battery degrades rapidly. The warranty covers the battery but it's a combination of percentage loss and time in service. I understand if you look around there are some dealers with a $200. lease program. We are happy with our 500e.
I would of considered a new leaf (current model doesn't look as ugly and has much much longer range) but to this day it sill lacks battery thermal management.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, there were a lot of Leafs (Leaves?) sold in Norway and they are cheaper and bigger cars. If looking just at that - sure, it's better. I now have a choice between a Leaf and a 500e. The 500e is almost twice the price of a Leaf. Too bad the Leaf looks awful, interior is dull and it's a heavier car. That's why I spent extra and got the fiat.
Anyway, question number two. Since there's a lot of rain and snow here should I mod something to make sure it survives the weather better? I read something about a battery connector cover under the car, but don't remember any exact details...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, there were a lot of Leafs (Leaves?) sold in Norway and they are cheaper and bigger cars. If looking just at that - sure, it's better. I now have a choice between a Leaf and a 500e. The 500e is almost twice the price of a Leaf. Too bad the Leaf looks awful, interior is dull and it's a heavier car. That's why I spent extra and got the fiat.
Anyway, question number two. Since there's a lot of rain and snow here should I mod something to make sure it survives the weather better? I read something about a battery connector cover under the car, but don't remember any exact details...
Leaf I believe was a global car, while the 500e was only sold in 2 states in USA and USA only hence making them sort of a rare breed exotic since they don’t exist anywhere else aside from exporting them from California and Oregon. And that would definitely make the car more expensive offering then something domestically sold.

Just out of curiousity sakes, why are EV so popular in Norway? Is the EV charging infrastructure that good or a government mandate? I kinda figured a place where its cold like that aren't exactly a nice place for a EV to live.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I'm funny about what I drive too. The 500e is a good looking car and the leaf looks awful (to me)

It rains a lot here in Pacific Northwest. Wasn't going to do anything, but interested to know.

Also I agree with previous comments - Do be aware that temps down at or below freezing depress range down to 50-60mile range with normal driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@ETS- When I level 2 charge at work it often shows 100+ miles of range. typically 105-107 but I've seen as high as 110. Is it taking up some of that last 15%?

·
Registered
633 Posts
@ETS- When I level 2 charge at work it often shows 100+ miles of range. typically 105-107 but I've seen as high as 110. Is it taking up some of that last 15%?
Nope it’s just a guesstimate meter based on last 10 miles of driving habits. Floor the car for 10 seconds and you can see it drop from 110 to 80 mile range in a hurry lol.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Since there's a lot of rain and snow here should I mod something to make sure it survives the weather better? I read something about a battery connector cover under the car, but don't remember any exact details.
Someone mentioned the charge port allowing water into itself (but not into the car). That could be a huge problem if it then froze. Easy to check though by pouring water on it, & easy to fix by adding peel-&-stick weatherstripping or taping a flap inside the door, like some old gas cars did.

Someone else mentioned how the water drains from the wipers down the front of the firewall. Open the hood, pour some water in front of the driver's side wiper, see where it flows out & make sure it won't be going in through an improperly-seated rubber seal.

Cold-weather range loss can be improved several ways (like unplugging the humidity sensor) but it doesn't sound like it's an issue for you. Unlike a gas car, no matter how cold it gets there's no concern about the engine starting ;) & apparently EVs also have some torque-application advantages in snow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would of considered a new leaf (current model doesn't look as ugly and has much much longer range) but to this day it sill lacks battery thermal management.
The Nissan website has leases at $163. - 36 months, - $3,000 down - 30,000 miles. But I can't find any local dealers who offer that lease.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's a pretty good lease deal. If I'm not mistaken, the buyout price at the end of the lease is $14,311. Plus $3,000 due initially, $5,868 in monthly payments, that comes out to $23,xxx total for the car if you purchase it after the 36 months. Am I missing something glaring obvious here? If not I might look into doing this for my wife and trade in or sell her old 2013 Leaf.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Leaf I believe was a global car, while the 500e was only sold in 2 states in USA and USA only hence making them sort of a rare breed exotic since they don’t exist anywhere else aside from exporting them from California and Oregon. And that would definitely make the car more expensive offering then something domestically sold.

Just out of curiousity sakes, why are EV so popular in Norway? Is the EV charging infrastructure that good or a government mandate? I kinda figured a place where its cold like that aren't exactly a nice place for a EV to live.
No taxes on them, pretty much. For example a new bmw 320d costs as much as a fully loaded tesla model 3. Charging infrastructure is pretty good afaik. Have seen chargers available almost every 50-60kms. Tesla has a lot of superchargers as well. There is a yearly road tax of ~350usd for ice cars. None of that for EVs and hybrids. Ferries and paid roads/highways are 50% cheaper for EVs. A lot of people own homes so charging at home is easy. Petrol/diesel costs around 1.5usd per liter, while electricity is, roughly, 0.07-0.1usd / kwh. Probably more, that I can't think of, but all of that is already enough to push people towards EVs.
My daily commute is around 10mins, if not less, so I feel I'm killing my petrol car, especially in the winter. The oil is cold, the interior is cold, everything is **** cold and it only starts warming up at the end of the journey. And where I live winters are not that bad. A lot of snow but maybe -10C at most, these last few have been more around -5 - 0C.
The weather is pretty cool here most of the year as well, we only get +20C in the middle of the summer. And even then it gets cooler when the sun goes down and most of the year it's closer to 10-15C, so really not that great for short trips in ICE cars.
We also needed another car and the savings with this will pretty much pay for itself in a few years. Not to mention I was wanting to tinker with EVs for a long time already. The 500e seems to have a good following and seems to still be pretty simple as well as fun.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
That gas price is about $6/gal, so you probably could have just wrote that, although your other details are quite informative.

Welcome to the club! 500e is a first-EV for many of us, mostly due to low cost, & projected battery longevity due to its thermal management system.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts