Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That gas price is about $6/gal, so you probably could have just wrote that, although your other details are quite informative.

Welcome to the club! 500e is a first-EV for many of us, mostly due to low cost, & projected battery longevity due to its thermal management system.
Converting to gallons in not something I do often and so it's not easy to do it mentally. There's also three different gallons to choose from, sooo....
I chose the 500e cause it seemed to be more fun and closest to what a "normal" car would be. No unnecessary stuff. Also - pretty light.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Most of us are in the only country where the car was sold new (USA) & THAT gallon conversion is very easy if you just add a word like "about" ;) 1 US gallon is very close to 4 L.

It FEELS so light, with its snappy instant torque, & super-low center of gravity, that I didn't realize right away that it's the first car I've owned where there are stock-size tires available that won't take the weight. Lighter than nearly every other EV though, & definitely the most fun to drive of all the non-luxury models I've driven, which includes eGolf (a close 2nd), i3 (the 3 is for "3rd-Ultimate Driving Machine"), Leaf 1 & 2, eSoul, & eFocus.

As for "normal" feel, I took it to pick up my ex-boss at the airport, & let him drive us back. He had driven through the large airport, onto the boulevard, & several minutes on the freeway before he finally understood that it's fully electric. I think maybe he thought it was just a hybrid.

As for "no unnecessary stuff", ya, it has no different driving modes to choose from. I saw marketing somewhere "It's always in sport mode". Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE someone to rewrite the software to allow us to tone down the steering assist, & boost the right-pedal regen, but in my friend's eGolf I had to always remember to change the modes every time I started it, because they reset to default every time you shut it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Most of us are in the only country where the car was sold new (USA) & THAT gallon conversion is very easy if you just add a word like "about" ;) 1 US gallon is very close to 4 L.

It FEELS so light, with its snappy instant torque, & super-low center of gravity, that I didn't realize right away that it's the first car I've owned where there are stock-size tires available that won't take the weight. Lighter than nearly every other EV though, & definitely the most fun to drive of all the non-luxury models I've driven, which includes eGolf (a close 2nd), i3 (the 3 is for "3rd-Ultimate Driving Machine"), Leaf 1 & 2, eSoul, & eFocus.

As for "normal" feel, I took it to pick up my ex-boss at the airport, & let him drive us back. He had driven through the large airport, onto the boulevard, & several minutes on the freeway before he finally understood that it's fully electric. I think maybe he thought it was just a hybrid.

As for "no unnecessary stuff", ya, it has no different driving modes to choose from. I saw marketing somewhere "It's always in sport mode". Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE someone to rewrite the software to allow us to tone down the steering assist, & boost the right-pedal regen, but in my friend's eGolf I had to always remember to change the modes every time I started it, because they reset to default every time you shut it off.
When you say "right pedal regen" you mean "regen instead of coasting"? If I understand correctly the 500e starts using regen when the brake pedal is pressed, then switches to hydraulic brakes when it can no longer use regen to stop the car faster? If that's the case then maybe some external mods would enable right-pedal regen... Hmm... depends on how the brake pedal functions, though...
I have not driven any EVs at all so don't know how the regen works (not electrically, but what it means to driving).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
The 500e starts to regen when you lift the right pedal, & regens more when you press the brake.

500e has a fair amount of regen just by lifting the accelerator. It feels kind of like a manual transmission in a fairly high gear, for example cruising in 3rd gear at 20mph. Bad example I guess since it depends on the car, but hopefully you get the point. It doesn't "coast" as much as most modern automatics, but it also doesn't decelerate as nicely as other EVs when you set them for "1-pedal driving", which many enthusiast drivers prefer, but most non-enthusiasts don't.

The hydraulic brakes don't activate at ALL, except during "panic" level braking, or ANY time you brake below about 7mph. There's a kind of "power flow" graphic always on the right of the speedo, which shows blue at the bottom during regen, & you can clearly see it suddenly switch off as you slow from 7 to 6mph. You can also tap the wiper stalk to show motor power on the speedo, & you can see IT suddenly go to zero at 6mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The 500e starts to regen when you lift the right pedal, & regens more when you press the brake.

500e has a fair amount of regen just by lifting the accelerator. It feels kind of like a manual transmission in a fairly high gear, for example cruising in 3rd gear at 20mph. Bad example I guess since it depends on the car, but hopefully you get the point. It doesn't "coast" as much as most modern automatics, but it also doesn't decelerate as nicely as other EVs when you set them for "1-pedal driving", which many enthusiast drivers prefer, but most non-enthusiasts don't.

The hydraulic brakes don't activate at ALL, except during "panic" level braking, or ANY time you brake below about 7mph. There's a kind of "power flow" graphic always on the right of the speedo, which shows blue at the bottom during regen, & you can clearly see it suddenly switch off as you slow from 7 to 6mph. You can also tap the wiper stalk to show motor power on the speedo, & you can see IT suddenly go to zero at 6mph.
Then it seems the brake pedal is electric, sort of, and it might be possible to use a programmable ic to grab the signal from the accelerator pedal and simulate a brake pedal press.
Not sure how I'd like the set-up, as two pedals seem to give more control, but it's also forcing to move the foot from pedal to pedal which also seems to be inefficient. I'd assume even then it wouldn't really be one pedal driving as it would not be able to see the speed and apply the brakes at the right time - would only apply them when the foot is off the accelerator. Might be a bit unsafe as well, but would give the ability to tune the regen when releasing the accelerator.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Yes, the brake pedal is electric, like the accelerator, which is already programed to simulate a very light bake pedal press. Many EVs have an adjustment. For example, the eGolf has 4 levels. Its highest level is very nice, & also activates the brake lights, but it's still a bit more gentle than I'd personally prefer. My slightly less enthusiastic friend likes the #2 or 3 level, because she can't get used to lifting her foot a BIT, for a bit of braking, & lifting a bit more for bit more braking.

It's just like driving a high-powered gas stickshift revving high, & that is very controllable & safe, although a bit loud & inefficient with gas. I say "high-powered" because with a small engine relative to car weight, there's less engine braking. It actually gives you more control in traffic or cornering, & more safety since the car starts braking before your foot even makes it to the brake pedal.

500e supposedly even HAS this function, but you have to use a "hack" I haven't tried, to activate it: Set the cruise-control to 25mph (it's lowest setting, unfortunately), & when you lift your foot hit "resume" for more regen, but that of course only works above 25, & seems a bit awkward but I guess I should try it.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
633 Posts
That gas price is about $6/gal, so you probably could have just wrote that, although your other details are quite informative.

Welcome to the club! 500e is a first-EV for many of us, mostly due to low cost, & projected battery longevity due to its thermal management system.
Speaking of thermal management my car out of nowhere unplugged and just parked just making a loud fan noises parked overnight looks like AC been running as expansion valve is wet. I guess the car manages itself parked unplugged? It was hot day tho to be fair. It’s parked near my window I was like what’s making that roaring sound, walk out my car is running the AC on its own and it’s not even plugged in. I lost about 7% of charge tho in the process, it was 89% when I parked it last night.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
633 Posts
It says 125°F o_O Was the ambient temperature that high, or from sitting in the sun?
Well my thermometer said 117 so maybe slightly optimistic but yea it was dang hot day.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I better plug it in it’s eaten up another 5% at this rate I might have a dead HV battery by tomorrow.

·
Registered
633 Posts
3hrs later the car is still running the fans albeit a lil more calmly but still running but this time it’s plugged in, it is however charging a lot slower though....

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Thanks for the report! I think this is the first confirmation I've seen of unplugged, key-off with not only "passive" battery cooling radiator fans on high, but also "active" cooling A/C, which only very rarely even comes on when driving.

I think there was a report where protective battery heating seemed to come on unplugged with the key off in very cold temps.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I honestly thought someone pulled into my driveway because I heard fan noises I didn’t think it was my car especially not plugged in. It might be the fact the car thinks it’s 125° and doing its best to protect the battery I have no idea what’s going on this is the first time this car has actually seen this type of temperature so it’s all new to me. Although I wouldn’t find it all to useful if it actually ran it’s of dead

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
I read somewhere that battery efficiency peaks at around 125F, which explains why A/C sometimes doesn't reduce range all that much.

If they had set the A/C to actively chill it at anything lower, it would reduce range. 125F isn't ideal for battery longevity though, so I wish it could be user-adjusted lower, by those of us who don't need the full range.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I read somewhere that battery efficiency peaks at around 125F, which explains why A/C sometimes doesn't reduce range all that much.

If they had set the A/C to actively chill it at anything lower, it would reduce range. 125F isn't ideal for battery longevity though, so I wish it could be user-adjusted lower, by those of us who don't need the full range.
Honestly I wish there was a user ability to disable or enable such a thing because I don’t want to wake up knowing that I don’t have enough range to get to work by surprise.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I prefer not doing that if I have more 80% battery life since I don’t like making it stay at 100% for long so I’d I come home and a short jaunt and it’s above 80 I won’t plug it in.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
"100%" on the gauge is only 4.1v/cell, which is only about 85%, although I understand that's not ideal at such high temps. Still MUCH better than 90 or 95 or 100.

·
Registered
633 Posts
"100%" on the gauge is only 4.1v/cell, which is only about 85%, although I understand that's not ideal at such high temps. Still MUCH better than 90 or 95 or 100.
I try to keep the 100% stats less then a hr before I set off. Generally the car has 62% on avg sitting around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My guess is it is better for the car to be actively cooling at 100% when it needs to than not being allowed to cool at 80% when it needs to. If true, the battery may see more damage by keeping it at 80% and too hot than at 100% actively cooled. Not that it matters since it sounds like the car is cooling when it needs to whether it is plugged in or not. I wish I took note of the exact charge state when I last used my car to see if today's heat triggered the cooling system while parked in the sun (didn't drive today).

I guess my point is, if you know it is going to be crazy hot and you're worried about the car running the battery down with active cooling while parked, I wouldn't worry about leaving it plugged for the few times a year it gets that hot.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts