Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think it's just overkill to try and micromanage the charge percentage. While I wouldn't leave my car fully charged for days at a time, having it sit at 100% overnight is not a big deal. I've only had this car for less than a year, but after 23K miles driven so far I'd say battery degradation is a non issue with the 500e.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
All very good points. It seems like degradation could be around 5%/25k, so it might not be all that long before your 88-mi commute requires driving a bit slower, or lower (2" lowering seems to help range about 12-15%).

Turbo'z "62% storage" is supposedly nearly ideal: 3.92v/cell is supposedly perfect. OBD shows that around 60% or so (it varies, maybe based on temperature).

The battery seems to protect itself from REALLY extreme temps even without the key, but better protection when plugged in. So when you know it's going to be super hot or cold it might be best to let it run down a bit more, so that you can leave it plugged in all night for temp control, & it still won't be sitting full very long before driving. Or if possible charge in daytime instead, when it needs more heat protection (vice-versa in cold).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Sorry, but I can't remember if you're one of those who has checked for degradation by the only method we seem to know so far: Discharge to 0% OBD*, charge to 100% on a metered charger, & divide its reading by 25kWh to get % of original capacity.

* when the motor shuts itself off, often well after the GAUGE says 0%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
You probably have even less than the 15% degradation indicated by your 21.25kW avg. divided by 25kWh (the EPA # when new).

At 53k miles, unless yours has been reset as above, it probably has several % left when your gauge reads 0%. I have about 25k miles & when it's near 0% it shows about 11% higher on OBD.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's today's morning commute and the charge up. With 52% remaining it took in 10.452 Kw. That works out to about 21.775 Kw total remaining capacity.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
That's great! Especially since you most likely have even less degradation than indicated, because whenever I'm below about 70 or 80%, my car's gauge always underestimates what's left (OBD always shows that I really have more).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, Maybe not really 100% comparable, but we also own a Peugeot Ion, and currently we have over 90K miles on it. Always used the granny charger for slow charging. Now, we can notice the batteries are getting a bit dated. There are as far as i know of, the same cells used as the Fiat500e, so its highly likely they are comparable. Only realword differences is that the Ion is from 2012 and has a air cooled battyry, compared to liquid from the fiat.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Peugeot Ion is basically a Mitsubishi iMiev, which started with 2009 battery tech. At only about 16kWh it likely has very minimal battery-protection buffers, which are a HUGE factor. Ours only charge to 4.1v/cell (about 85%) & only discharge to 3.1v/cell. Life expectancy doubles with a relatively small buffer increase, especially on the top end, since an EV spends much more time there, than empty.

Based on the Leaf, air-cooling would seem to make a huge difference. However, they started with different, 2010 battery chemistry, & also started with very small buffers.

Based on the eGolf, air cooling would seem to make little difference, from all the reports I could find last year. However they started with newer 2015 battery chemistry, & larger buffers than the Leaf.

I believe our batteries are the same make & model as eGolf, but ours started with slightly different, older 2013 versions, which I believe never changed, even through the 2019 500e.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts