Fiat 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
ETS, when is the last time you have taken your car to zero? Just wondering how long it takes for the calibration to drift. I haven't taken my car to zero, but I have taken it down to 2 or 3%. I'll have to compare my AlfaOBD readings to the gauge and see how close they are. I think taking it down to 2 or 3% should get you pretty close. But if you only discharge to 20% or less for many months I could see how the calibration could get messed up. When I did take it down to 2 or 3%, I put in a bit over 20 kWh back into the pack (based on my juicebox data which accounts for charge efficiency).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Okay, maybe not a calibration issue* for him, but maybe the "range loss" is at least slightly exacerbated just driving a bit faster, &/or slightly cooler ambient, &/or a slight headwind... Hmm.. New tires slightly heavier & larger diameter showing less distance traveled than old worn tires...?

* Someone just reported here that going to zero didn't recallibrate the % gauge, even though someone else reported that it did, so maybe sometimes a 2-day 12V disconnect works better. Personally I'd guess that since OBD specifies exactly "0.00% goal", "pretty close" probably won't work, & it most likely requires complete drain to 0.00%-OBD with lights on AFTER the car stops driving due to it's own low-reading gauge hitting "0%". I would look for "SOC calibration in progress" disappearing from OBD.

I have NEVER taken mine to 0%. The lowest I ever took it to was 6%-gauge shortly after purchase with just under 10k mi. 2nd-lowest I can recall was just recently when I took it to 11%-gauge, at which time OBD showed 18%. Other than that, I've rarely taken it below 30%, & hardly ever below 20.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The nice thing about the current stay at home situation is the lack of traffic. This is my drive home from work today. The battery was at 92% when I reset the trip odometer. I set the cruise control to 60 and drive it like that all the way to my exit, no AC, no accessories turned on. Based on my calculation, the estimated total range if I kept driving the same speed would be ~87 miles. 2016 model year with 41K miles. Charging to full twice daily.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
if you only discharge to 20% or less for many months I could see how the calibration could get messed up.
Good point: The % gauge may retain more accuracy if you periodically charge until it stops, & drive until it's low. I rarely do either, so mine may be further off than others of the same age/mileage.

Even if it's only off a few % points though, it will most likely remain so, with "SOC calibration in progress", until it reaches its "0.00% goal" (shuts its lights off).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I appreciate your input, but I ran my stock tires at 45psi from when I bought the car until I wore them out.

Also, since others aren't reporting significant range loss, I don't really think we should expect that, but others ARE reporting % gauges going significantly out of calibration. That makes it SEEM like there's range loss, but it vanishes when recalibrated. The reports I've seen say it happens so suddenly that it's unlikely to be a battery issue, since they rarely die that fast. However, imagine if that happened to someone & they freaked out & quickly sold it to Warrior here, instead of just recalibrating the gauge.

ga2500ev is absolutely right AT HIWAY SPEEDS, in which case about the only thing you can do besides using cruise & keeping everything off is maybe getting the rear diffuser & front belly-pan.

HOWEVER, the car shows an average speed of only 19mph*. Mine shows average 21 to 22 & I get about 1%/mi at those average speeds. So I still think the % gauge could use calibration.

*I wonder if this is another clue: Is the car left "idling" for long periods?
The (probably mis-calibrated) GAUGEs show that usage. If my gas gauge is broken, it doesn't mean I'm getting zero or infinity mpg.
its going for 45 min already and still on

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
its going for 45 min already and still on
Try to be patient. The further off your gauge is, the longer it will take to discharge, & the more range you're likely to regain.

For example, my OBD shows I'd have about 8% remaining after my inaccurate gauge hits 0, so it wouldn't take all that long to fully discharge, but I'd only gain about 8%.

If your gauge is off by 30%, it will take a LONG time, & you'll likely gain a lot of range, but ONLY if you take it all the way until it shuts itself off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Try to be patient. The further off your gauge is, the longer it will take to discharge, & the more range you're likely to regain.

For example, my OBD shows I'd have about 8% remaining after my inaccurate gauge hits 0, so it wouldn't take all that long to fully discharge, but I'd only gain about 8%.

If your gauge is off by 30%, it will take a LONG time, & you'll likely gain a lot of range, but ONLY if you take it all the way until it shuts itself off.
Its till going and it’s more than an hour!

121 - 140 of 283 Posts