Fiat 500 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
I believe the most import thing is that you waited until it shut off. Someone suggested non-stop recharge is preferred, ideally on L2.

You've done all you can for now sleep easy & see how it is in the morning.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
If I if I were you, I would just leave it plugged in, & get a good night's sleep knowing it's fine plugged in all night, just like a cell phone

·
Registered
125 Posts
240v dryer outlet doesn't give you the full 6 kW charge, you're only charging at 3 kW that's why it takes 9 hours or so to charge to full. It's still 3 times faster than the 110v outlet, but it's not true level 2 charging.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
For the people suggesting 45psi for the tire I don’t recommend it, we have tons of eco wiener Prius drivers that do it and what it’s doing is wearing all their tires down the center. It makes the car ride rough on anything other then glass smooth pavement and definitely squirrelly in the wet. I suggest 39-40 cold be your max there is no discernible difference.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Maybe I missed it in a post, but what is the mileage of the car? I have a high-mileage early 500e that currently gets charged twice a day, L1 overnight (I do not use timer), and then L2 top-off at work. My commute is 33 miles each way with elevation changes. Even though I have wider tires, I historically got about 80-85 miles between charges, I could actually squeeze both ways on my commute on one charge. After about 50K miles, i had to do two charges a day. BUT. as the car passed 90K miles, the range after a full charge has dropped drastically, now about 60-65 if I drive conservativly, and 40-45 at freeway speeds. This was to be expected as battery degradation happens with the number of charge cycles accumulates over time, and also the method of charging...L1 @ 120 volts is the kindest on batter life, L2 @ 220/240 will be harsher on battery life. My only recourse to improve things would be a new/newer battery swap, perhaps from a wrecked 500e. I am intrigued by the new European 500e that rides on a newer platform and claims 200 mile range, we will have to see tests on it when it arrives in the US.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
For the people suggesting 45psi for the tire I don’t recommend it... I suggest 39-40 cold be your max there is no discernible difference.
Agreed. I even tried 50 psi for a month with my new 51-psi-max tires, and that made no range difference either.

For ME personally 45 woks great because it evens out the edge wear of MY high-speed cornering .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
The
Maybe I missed it in a post, but what is the mileage of the car? I have a high-mileage early 500e that currently gets charged twice a day, L1 overnight (I do not use timer), and then L2 top-off at work. My commute is 33 miles each way with elevation changes. Even though I have wider tires, I historically got about 80-85 miles between charges, I could actually squeeze both ways on my commute on one charge. After about 50K miles, i had to do two charges a day. BUT. as the car passed 90K miles, the range after a full charge has dropped drastically, now about 60-65 if I drive conservativly, and 40-45 at freeway speeds. This was to be expected as battery degradation happens with the number of charge cycles accumulates over time, and also the method of charging...L1 @ 120 volts is the kindest on batter life, L2 @ 220/240 will be harsher on battery life. My only recourse to improve things would be a new/newer battery swap, perhaps from a wrecked 500e. I am intrigued by the new European 500e that rides on a newer platform and claims 200 mile range, we will have to see tests on it when it arrives in the US.
the 2020 500e will not be available for us only Europe

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Warrior: Please drive it normally & report back. If you drive a bit harder, as if you're actually going to get the crazy "120 miles" shown, you won't.

RNDDude: I'm curious about max voltage to see if us low-milers* are being fooled by our ZERO range loss if the battery charges to a higher voltage as it ages.
*I have only 24.5k on my 2013

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
...battery degradation happens with the number of charge cycles accumulates over time, and also the method of charging...L1 @ 120 volts is the kindest on batter life, L2 @ 220/240 will be harsher on battery life. My only recourse to improve things would be a new/newer battery swap, perhaps from a wrecked 500e.
You might want to check if battery cells from an i3 will fit, as I believe they are much higher capacity, but possibly 1cm taller, which might still fit: It's quite possible that Fiat engineered it for that potential upgrade that just never happened to make it to production.

240V at the car's max capacity of 6.6kw is still not what I'd consider "harsh". It is MUCH less current than driving 50mph, or normal braking regen. In other words, nobody should expect any longer battery life by avoiding full L2. That said, most people don't need FULL L2, since the stock charger on 240 gives a full recharge from ZERO in about 8 hours of sleep + an hour for dinner & an hour for breakfast. Obviously that charge rate is half as "harsh". But taking it to zero daily isn't great for battery life.

161 - 180 of 283 Posts