Fiat 500 Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well mine is off as well so I don't feel left out now. Strange thing is that I've noticed it's off by different amounts at different speeds. I set my cruise on flat roads so I could check it and it varies from 1 to 3 MPH with the digital always lower than the dial and the faster you go the bigger the difference. Outside temperatures seem to affect it as well, the hotter the greater the difference. I set up my Garmin and it matched the digital speed exactly every time and at all speeds so I'm going with the digital read out as the accurate one. Off by 1 MPH isn't bad but 3 MPH when you're already pushing 5 over the limit is going to get me a ticket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you comparing it to, being off 35 mpg.
You won’t believe me but I am not that smart! I realized just now that I can switch the electric dial to km/h instead of mph. So the reason my speed was so different was because my electric speedometer was in km while the speedometer gauge is in mph.

·
Registered
972 Posts
<nodding> Mine has glitched a couple times... resetting itself to kph. Imagine my surprise, cruising with 40 MPH traffic, glance down and see 65.

It was more obvious the day it switched to Italian.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well - my '16 Popstar has the analogue speedo - and at city speed - 40-50-60 KpH - it's about 5 KpH fast.
At higher speeds - 90 upo to 130 KpH - it's about 8-9 KpH too fast.
As the most common highway speed here is 110 KpH, I've set the speed alarm to 120 - so when it goes off, my phone will say just about 112 KpH. That's easy within the tolerances of the equipment our police force uses ; o)
Over here in Denmark, most of us bags a smartphone these days - and most of them contains a GPS antenna.
Practical to have it at hand at all times - but same GPS antenna also allows you to fetch any variant of a speedometer app. Plenty available for all platforms - IOS, Android and Windows.
So it is very easy to acertain what your actual speed really is - have compared speed betwen my cell phone, a TomTom unit on my bike, a Garmin unit for my bycycle (yes - it will show highway speeds in car or on bike - will even log speed, altitude, time etc ;o) - they all agree with only 1-2 KpH variation, which seems to be down to a slight delay in one of the units. After less than 30 seconds at constant speed - they all aggree ;o)
But we also have a Renault Capture with a digital speedo; I have tested it same way - from 50 KpH up to 150 KpH it reads 4 KpH too much !
Never more - never less.
So - suprise - french cars are (or can be) more precise than german cars ;o)

81 - 86 of 86 Posts