Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put larger throttle body's on Fords in the past and always had good results in doing so. I am also sending a throttle body to get machined for my Jeep, so with that said, I ordered the Modern Performance Throttle Body Upgrade. The details along with specs are on their web site. Long story short they take a brand new Fiat throttle body and have it machined about 3 mm larger, install a new larger butter fly plate and new screws. They claim 6 WHP on a stock Dodge Dart.

There is a video of the installation on the other 500 web site and also a couple write ups on one of the Dodge Dart forums. The throttle responce is much smoother from off idle all through the power band. Keep in mind I have a short ram intake, Sprint Booster and my only other modification is a stainless straight through muffler and I also have increased the preload a bit on my waist gate actuator.

Installation is pretty straight forward and only took about an hour with all the looking and double checking I did. the tools required were a T-30 Torx, flat blade screwdriver, 10 mm deep 1/4 drive socket and ratchet, 1" and 2" 1/4 drive extensions, pliers and a 3/8 ratchet. ( my T-30 is 3/8 drive ) I had taken pics and was going to post a step by step, but I saw the video posted tonight on the other forum.

The performance gain is noticeable immediately. From off idle all through the power band. I was never thrilled with my 500 Sport or Abarth off the line, but this part smooths out the acceleration. It takes less pedal to accomplish the same thing as before, if that makes sense. This part works well with the Sprint and SRI and I imagine will accent a high flow exhaust/down pipe. The amount they are able to open these up is not a large margin by any means, but they do increase the over all size of the boar AND remove a "step" at the base of the TB at the throttle plate. Jeep uses a restriction like this also supposedly for drive-ability purposes. I will say this as plain as possible; with my car, and the modifications I have at the present time, my car accelerates smoother and faster with this TB than the stock one.

If you are considering this I feel it is money well spent and is "one" piece of the performance puzzle. If I was only able to do one mod I would put this off a bit and look at CAI's/SRI's or a ECU piggy back from one of the many fine vendors that support our new 500's.

Read the write ups on the Dodge Dart forum and 500 forums and see where/if this fits in your modification plan. I copy/pasted some address below, if this angers the form elders I will understand.

Posted some pics of the install for viewing pleasure.

Happy shopping, T

http://blog.modernperformance.com/dyno-tested-a-prototype-part-for-the-2013-dodge-dart-14-turbo-and-were-impressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VIrmFNbDtcM

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/modern-performance/4405-got-another-batch-our-ported-mpx-throttle-bodies-stock-review-user-beans.html

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/modern-performance/4160-post-your-review-mpx-ported-tb-2.html

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Just ordered one for my Pop - I think it might help the ram air setup I have.
I've seen 0.6 lbs "boost" on my torque app, and since the TB is the next "funnel" in my system leading to the intake runners, maybe I will see some gain as well.

$190 is a great price too considering they are taking a brand new Mopar unit and modifying it then selling it outright.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered one for my Pop - I think it might help the ram air setup I have.
I've seen 0.6 lbs "boost" on my torque app, and since the TB is the next "funnel" in my system leading to the intake runners, maybe I will see some gain as well.

$190 is a great price too considering they are taking a brand new Mopar unit and modifying it then selling it outright.
I really want to hear from someone that tries this on a N/A 500. I wish I did this on my Sport just to see what gains I could have got. I dont think you will be disappointed. Let me know when you get it in.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
a litle OT but i am really interested into possibly changing out the intake manifold to the abarth unit as well, since it is also designed for less tq and more flow. Might be a good way to make a NA 500 feel more "cammy".

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a litle OT but i am really interested into possibly changing out the intake manifold to the abarth unit as well, since it is also designed for less tq and more flow. Might be a good way to make a NA 500 feel more "cammy".
I did not know the n/a and Abarth manifolds were different. It would interesting to see if the gains at the top end were worth what you might loose down low. Is the 500 T manifold the same as the Abarth ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Thanks for the review. I would love to get this on a dyno to prove the 6hp. My other concern is how any piggyback would react with this mod. Would it lean it out even more?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the review. I would love to get this on a dyno to prove the 6hp. My other concern is how any piggyback would react with this mod. Would it lean it out even more?
I need to data log to see where my AFR's are at. With nothing technical to back this theory up, I would say this TB smooths out the air delivery to the manifold and provides a bit more air, not so much that the wide band O2 could not make the nessary adjustments to meet target AFR's. I will try and get a few data logs tonight or tomorrow if you are interested.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
most claims I have viewed in regards to a TB is a fella needs supporting mods or it's a waste of money meaning no increase in hp. Kind of like putting water/meth injection with no mods = zero hp increase witnessed with my own two eyes.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I need to data log to see where my AFR's are at. With nothing technical to back this theory up, I would say this TB smooths out the air delivery to the manifold and provides a bit more air, not so much that the wide band O2 could not make the nessary adjustments to meet target AFR's. I will try and get a few data logs tonight or tomorrow if you are interested.
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
most claims I have viewed in regards to a TB is a fella needs supporting mods or it's a waste of money meaning no increase in hp. Kind of like putting water/meth injection with no mods = zero hp increase witnessed with my own two eyes.
I disagree in this case. here is why, this throttle body is very small to start with. Add in the restriction at the base and that makes matters less than ideal. Most engines will benifit from a more efficient delivery of air. This TB has a modest increase in boar and the restriction is removed. I stated in my post the acceleration of my car was smoother. No more dead spot off idle. If we discounted the claims from the distributor and absent any modifications I still feel the smoother flow of air to the engine would net benefits. Is it possible in the cases you refer to, that the engine was equipped with a throttle body that was an efficient design in its stock form ?

I agree with you on these points; as I also stated in my post, that this would not be my 1st mod, nor would it be my only mod. A free flowing exhaust, air intake, and tune would allow the operator to realize the full benefit of a part such as this throttle body.

FWIW

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
i think if the ecu relied on only the throttle body angle and not the map pressure and 02 sensor, then it would get leaner. Hopefully the map and o2 are still within range of making meaninful adjustments to leave piggybacking or sensor modding alone.

The proof will be taking it off this forum and placing it on the car with accurate instrumentation.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I was thinking of adding some furry dice to my Abarth but I need somebody to spend $200 on Dyno runs first to make sure they wont affect my AFR's. Thanks!
Depends on what color you use...

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I disagree in this case. here is why, this throttle body is very small to start with. Add in the restriction at the base and that makes matters less than ideal. Most engines will benifit from a more efficient delivery of air. This TB has a modest increase in boar and the restriction is removed. I stated in my post the acceleration of my car was smoother. No more dead spot off idle. If we discounted the claims from the distributor and absent any modifications I still feel the smoother flow of air to the engine would net benefits. Is it possible in the cases you refer to, that the engine was equipped with a throttle body that was an efficient design in its stock form ?

I agree with you on these points; as I also stated in my post, that this would not be my 1st mod, nor would it be my only mod. A free flowing exhaust, air intake, and tune would allow the operator to realize the full benefit of a part such as this throttle body.

FWIW

Last point works for me, go with a package up front. Water/meth will work on the 500T/Abarth not so much on the regular little fella lol

1 - 20 of 199 Posts